Boy on RockNRollercoaster had heart problem

Baums101

napnet said:
Yes, my wife had a defect that we didn't find out about till she was 22. Thankfully they stumbled across it after she had an MRI for something else and fixed it before it threatened her life. You just never know whats potentially wrong.
Funny you say that but just a week ago I got blood poisoning and did not tell my parents till a day later. Luckily I went to the doctors in time or else I would have been.... not so good:(

hardcard

Original Poster
musketeer said:
You said: "Boy on RockNRollercoaster had heart problem!"

looks to me like you were excited...if only there was a punctuation mark that showed the sentence was supposed to be taken as excitement....hmmm...a punctuation mark that shows you "cried out suddenly or vehemently, as from surprise or emotion (the definition of the word 'exclaim').

Please don't tell me to grow up, maybe you should think and read your posts before submitting them. Putting an exclaimation point at the end of a sentence like you did reads as if you were pretty excited about it.

cried out suddenly or vehemently, as from surprise or emotion (the definition of the word 'exclaim'). -

sounds about right to me... I was SURPRISED that I saw the information on the top of CNN.com and I was 'exclaiming' the statement in the topic to demonstrate a sense of 'breaking news'....

As a parent I can't imagine what they are going through... I would blame disney, I would blame the ride, but in my heart, EVEN IF the ride was at fault... I would blame myself.. I'd feel guilty knowing I could have potentially been part of my own child's sudden death..

Does that sound like I was excited about the fact that the ride was NOT the cause of death? Not to me...

But I can promise you that , that was not my intention or the basis of the punctuation..

Once again, reason #8939483948 why I post here so infrequently.. You make one thread, and you are treated like you just crapped in the water at splash mountain.

Justa' BigKid

brich said:
Are these rides safe? Probably. Will my 7 year old ride them? Probably not. Why? Because there is an outside chance he could have a condition we're unaware of and that small chance is enough for me. There are plenty of other rides he can enjoy while I'm responsible for his well being...

While I respect your right to parent your child, I just wanted to point out that there is just as much of a chance that YOU might have a pre-existing condition that might cause a health problem mixed with the stress of the ride.

The trip down to WDW on a plane or even driving in a car is more likely to cause a death than one of the rides.

musketeer

Justa' BigKid said:
While I respect your right to parent your child, I just wanted to point out that there is just as much of a chance that YOU might have a pre-existing condition that might cause a health problem mixed with the stress of the ride.

The trip down to WDW on a plane or even driving in a car is more likely to cause a death than one of the rides.

I agree. There is an outside chance of anything happening to anyone at any time. But you shouldn't NOT do things that have proven to be safe 99.999% of the time just because there is a slight chance that it might not be. There is a slight chance that ANYTHING can be unsafe.

This post isn't directed at one person, but a lot of people in this forum act like children. Why is it that some people feel the need to argue, or exclaim their anger in a family-based forum, or even in a topic like this one? There's just no need for it. Why can't we all just get along like civilized adults?

Theresonly1

I feel for the parents, but to the one who said they would never forgive them selves, why?? It was nothing they did, like someone else said, it could've happened while playing sports or any number of things. My uncle who has ridden coasters forever, was hospitalized for several weeks due to a heart rhythmn thing, shortly after returning from a family vacation, it happened to be WDW---did my family blame disney? No, thats just crazy, it was a condition he has had his entire life, and noone ever thought or had reason to check it.
I think this type of thing is more common than most people would ever think.

You have to live your life today, no one knows what tomorrow will hold.

Sorry if this offends anyone, just my 2cents.

Theresonly1 said:
I feel for the parents, but to the one who said they would never forgive them selves, why?? It was nothing they did, like someone else said, it could've happened while playing sports or any number of things. My uncle who has ridden coasters forever, was hospitalized for several weeks due to a heart rhythmn thing, shortly after returning from a family vacation, it happened to be WDW---did my family blame disney? No, thats just crazy, it was a condition he has had his entire life, and noone ever thought or had reason to check it.

Who said that the family of the boy blamed Disney? Don't jump the gun. If i'm wrong, please correct me.

bayoutinkbelle

Theresonly1 said:

Here's why I believe the parents would suffer guilt:
As a parent, it's your duty and responsibility to ensure the well-being of your children. The family got onto a roller coaster with two children, both of whom they believed to be healthy. Minutes later, one was dead. The parents likely (I know I would) second-guess themselves to no end -- Did I miss some sign that should have told me about this? Was there something I could have done to that would have detected this problem?

I have a son the same age as this boy. We just returned from WDW two weeks ago. I cannot imagine what they're going through right now. I hope they eventually can find peace.

cmatt

its hit the media over here too, i feel sorry for the family involved and that they recover from the childs untimely death :(

alitressa

Newspaper reports stated

"Though Disney has portable heart defibrillator units stationed throughout its parks, there was not one available to use on Michael until the paramedics arrived, according to an audiotape of the 911 call."

Why was there not one available? And why wasn't one available near Mission Space last year when the 4 year old died? Why does Disney boast that they have them throughout the parks if they aren't available near attractions with warnings? I understand that people should obey these warnings if they have known conditions and it is unfortunate that these two children died having unknown conditions but a defibrillator is a valuable life saving tool that could have (I said could have, not would have) saved either or both lives. The father of the 12 year old victim was a green beret who performed CPR until paramedics arrived 3 minutes after the 911 cal was made-which in a cardiac arrest situation is a long time. The father since trained in CPR, he might have known how to operate the difibrillator and used it in those precious minutes with possibly a good outcome. Is seems odd for Disney not to have them available in either location, does it not?

Dwarful

I cannot imagine the grief this poor family must be going through. My sympathies are with them during this very difficult time.

jaredliu

hardcard said:
What the hell is wrong with you? I have 3 kids, and you think I would be EXCITED that someone was dead? particularly a child?

Get a life, grow up, and think before you post.
You better make sure your 3 kids are compeletly healthy with no pre-existing condition before your great great concern to Disney's business.

disneyracefan

this will still not stop the sick headline grabbing media who every time somthing happens at w. d. w . they make that ride and the whole park seem like a death trap. sympathies to the family at this hard time in their lives

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
alitressa said:
The father of the 12 year old victim was a green beret who performed CPR until paramedics arrived 3 minutes after the 911 cal was made-which in a cardiac arrest situation is a long time. The father since trained in CPR, he might have known how to operate the difibrillator and used it in those precious minutes with possibly a good outcome. Is seems odd for Disney not to have them available in either location, does it not?

3 minutes is a very good response time. I cant imagine many places where you would get paramedics onsite any quicker. Infact, I would think in most places in the world, it would be considerably longer.

It's a tradegy for the everyone involved, but the sad fact is these things happen every hour of every day. There is nothing you can do to eliminate these incidents.

It is a shame that the media jump all over natural cause deaths, and turn people into a frenzy.

Piebald

I really hope what some CMs are saying is not true. About the parents forcing the child onto the ride (and these reports are not your typical "come on sweety, it'll be ok! come on!"). If this is the case, the guests need to be more responsible themselves. Disney provides numerous warning signs in the queues, the park maps, etc. We as CMs try to answer any questions they ask about a certain attraction. I always stress to them that although you may see small children on the rides, it is certainly not for everyone. Some people are not phased by TOT or M:S yet others are terrified just by looking at E:E's drop. Sometimes people don't grasp the CM stories such as getting asked ridiculously stupid questions or seeing parents force their children onto rides/attractions. These aren't exaggerations or one time things folks.

I am not assuming that the parents forced anyone to do anything, but this is just a reminder to some parents who might have relatively scaredy cat kids. Sometimes no really means no. That is why Disney has the child swap. You know your children best, but they themselves know their limits before you.

dxwwf3

wdwmagic said:
3 minutes is a very good response time. I cant imagine many places where you would get paramedics onsite any quicker. Infact, I would think in most places in the world, it would be considerably longer.

It's a tragedy for the everyone involved, but the sad fact is these things happen every hour of every day. There is nothing you can do to eliminate these incidents.

It is a shame that the media jump all over natural cause deaths, and turn people into a frenzy.

I agree. It is really sad that it happened at all, much less at Disney World, but it could happen to anyone at any time. And the media seems to eat up stories like this. One reason why I never can make myself watch the news. Especially when I'm in Orlando. All they do is report about deaths, accidents, and tragedies. It's not that they shouldn't report what happens, but it seems you feel horrible after watching the news every night.

disneyfromvermo

Makes you think

These pre-existing conditions do make you wonder. How do you know what may be inside you. I will still do what I wish to do when we visit Disney but it does make you think. Above all else it is just sad. I think of Disney as the happiest place on earth. For the family of that child, Disney will forever represent something else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom