3) Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back --- $11.1
4) The Others --- $8.6
5) Rat Race --- $8.3
6) Summer Catch --- $7.5
7) The Pincess Diaries --- $6.7
8) Captain Corelli's Mandolin --- $3.8
9) Ghosts of Mars --- $3.8
10) Planet of the Apes --- $3.5

Very slow box office weekend this weekend. Notice that Bubble Boy is not anywhere on the top 10. I guess the boycott of it did have an affect on the results.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Totals for the Top 10 movies:

1) American Pie 2 --- $109.6 million
2) Rush Hour 2 --- $183.3
3) Jay and Dilent Bob Strike Back --- $11.1
4) The Others --- $46.1
5) Rat Race --- $25.6
6) Summer Catch --- $7.5
7) The Princess Diaries --- $82.5
8) Captain Corelli's Mandolin --- $14.0
9) Ghosts of Mars --- $3.8
10) Planet of the Apes --- $167.8

MrPromey

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15

Very slow box office weekend this weekend. Notice that Bubble Boy is not anywhere on the top 10. I guess the boycott of it did have an affect on the results.

That or the reviews did. I think it got an "F" from the reviewer of the local paper. I've seen them give a lot of D's and I've seen some of those movies and thought they deserved and F. I don't recall ever seeing them rate anything an F before though so this one must be a real stinker... What I don't understand is why Disney released it to theatres. They knew there was a lot of controversy over it and if it was really that bad of a movie, they must have realized before it was released. Wouldn't it have been something better suited towards a direct to video release? Isn't that what they ended up doing with Mr. Magoo because they were getting blasted for making fun of the blind? From what I understand, (though I never saw it - no pun intended) Mr. Magoo wasn't even all that bad of a movie. If this movie was such a stinker, you would think that Disney could have saved a lot of face and probably money by sending it straight to video....

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Disney had already spent money on it when the boycott started, so they thought they at least make some money, no matter how small that is.

The Princess Diaries is doing extremly well for a Walt Disney Pictures film. It's not going to beat out the Remember the Titans' $120 million but oh well. :)

MrPromey

Yes but the same thing happened with Mr. Magoo and they sent it straight to video. It had been planned for a theater release, too...

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Walt Disney Pictures did release Mr. Magoo in theaters but because of its little success, it didn't stay around too long.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Magoo was relased during the summer and Flubber was released during October or November. I don't remember what year they were released.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
It did look like it sucked but if they hadn't boycotted it, I would have said that it looked like it would make the Top 10 at least.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom