Boulangerie Pâtisserie - inexpensive and rich

a2grafix

Original Poster
I have to say that during my recent stay at WDW, Universal and SeaWorld (Dec 11-16 2009), I made an effort to dine at the Boulangerie Pâtisserie at the France pavilion. Not only was the selection inexpensive (and rich considering the chocolate and pastries), but it made an effort to order "parle en francais."

I recently took some French classes and, although I had not spoken French on a daily basis for four months, each day (or every other day) on my vacation I would return to order a ham and cheese croissant (froid au chaud), chocolate mousse, and either hot tea, cold tea, or a coffee. I would also try to speak in French to the cast members, asking what time the movie started, wishing the staff a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year -- normal chit-chat conversation.

On top of that, I believe that the best inexpensive meal was at the Boulangerie Pâtisserie during my trip. My order would come out to be under $7 or under $8. Not too bad considering some counter service at the parks were somewhat expensive - and since I was not on the dining plan.

Overall it was fun and I look forward to spending time in the French pavilion during my next trip. In the interim, planning a trip to Montreal and Quebec in Canada and to the French countryside, Paris, and a visit to Paris Disneyland.

heartodisney

We have always gone in to the pastry shop..many times..but alas, not the restaurant. May I ask what Boulangerie Patisserie consist of? It sounds very good. I know very little French..I did learn a phrase that I cannot share...a 100 year old lady that we worked on (medical problems) cussed us out once!:eek:

heartodisney

I think the name of the pastry shop is Boulangerie Patisserie.

Eclairs rule !
:slurp:
picture.php
Silly me! I did not pay attention to the name of the place...just the FOOD! :rolleyes:

mouse_luv

The pastry shop is ALWAYS a must do for us. I love their cream puffs. And last trip DBF and I actually had our dinner there. He loves their quiche and I had the ham and cheese croissant. YUMMY and inexpensive! :)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Mouse luv where are those cute pastries in your avatar from? Simply adorable...what were they little cupcake sort of thingys? Wait is that a stick out the top?

lebeau

I have not been since 1988. But I have fond memories of my one experience there.

My brother and I were both in high school French at the time and we ordered in French. I was in my third year and was able to carry on a pretty decent conversation.

My brother was in his second year and stumbled. He called our waitress "garcon" which anyone who has seen Pulp Fiction knows means "boy". (The first time I saw PF I just about fell out of my seat laughing at that one.)

We ate there because we were on a budget. But everyone agreed it was a wonderful lunch.

I should probably make a point of going back. But there's always so many places we haven't eaten. And my wife always wants to eat lunch at the counter service in Japan. (She loves the snow pea pods.)

a2grafix

Original Poster
Bonjour!
Bonjour madamoiseille!
Qu'est que Vous désirez?
Um, um, ah ... je voudrais un jambon et fromage croissant, s'il vous plait.
Froid ou chaud?

I tried the ham and cheese croissant both cold and warm (not too hot). The cheese was magnificent! The server asked me if I wanted my croissant heated up in the microwave and I did not understand, but I finally did after she explained it to me in English. I didn't want the sandwhich too hot, so I asked her for it to be not too hot.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Mouse luv where are those cute pastries in your avatar from? Simply adorable...what were they little cupcake sort of thingys? Wait is that a stick out the top?

It looks like they are candy apples. I saw some at the Confectionary on Main Street.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
One of the two TS places I insist on stopping at in the WS. Nothing better than to sit back on a nice afternoon, grab a glass or two of wine from the shop across the way, and eat bread and cheese. I even bought my wife a selection of Fench cheeses for Christmas because she liked what they offered at Boulangerie Patisserie. :)

Phonedave

Bonjour!
Bonjour madamoiseille!
Qu'est que Vous désirez?
Froid au chaud?

I tried the ham and cheese croissant both cold and warm (not too hot). The cheese was magnificent! The server asked me if I wanted my croissant heated up in the microwave and I did not understand, but I finally did after she explained it to me in English. I didn't want the sandwhich too hot, so I asked her for it to be not too hot.

Damn Frenchy. :) (I do mean that in jest)

I was there with friends who had recently been in France. Their French is a lot better than mine, I can muddle through a menu just fine, but don't ask me to speak it (I am much better at butchering Spanish - dos cervazas por favor & donde esta el bano - that will get you very far). They ordered in French and the guy behind the counter expected me to as well.
It went like this.

Me: "Can I have a chocolate crossiant please"
Him "non, non, non, en Frances"
Me: "Ah, OK, fine. Un crossiant chocolate s'il vous plait"
Him "non, non, non, avec chocolate es pan. No es crossiant"
(When you add chocolate to a crossiant for some reason it ceases existance as a crossiant and becomes instead pan chcolate "chocolate bread")
Me: "Just give me a chocolate crossiant"

-dave

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Bonjour!
Bonjour madamoiseille!
Qu'est que Vous désirez?
Froid au chaud?

Not one to discourage use of foreign languages... :lookaroun

I was thrown off in your first post by the term "froid au chaud", now that I see it used in context, I'll offer a minor correction: The server likely said "froid ou chaud?" to ask if you wanted it cold or hot... "Au" would mean "to" in the example above, which would require the croissant being progressively heated from one end to the other so it went from cold to hot. Which would probably require a faulty microwave to prepare. :lol:

Downside to being a polyglot... I notice weird things. :shrug:

a2grafix

Original Poster
Not one to discourage use of foreign languages... :lookaroun

I was thrown off in your first post by the term "froid au chaud", now that I see it used in context, I'll offer a minor correction: The server likely said "froid ou chaud?" to ask if you wanted it cold or hot... "Au" would mean "to" in the example above, which would require the croissant being progressively heated from one end to the other so it went from cold to hot. Which would probably require a faulty microwave to prepare. :lol:

Downside to being a polyglot... I notice weird things. :shrug:

Drat, my bad. My french is so-so and thought I was typing "or" ... au ... should have been "ou." Still learning.

Now imagine trying to order in Hungarian. "Szia! Szeretném, ha egy pohár vizet, és egy sonka és a sajt croissant. Köszönöm szépen." (Hi, I would like a glass of water and a ham and cheese croissant. Thank you.)

durangojim

It's a great place to pick up some wonderful food. If we're staying at BC, we'll often go over to France to have lunch there before we walk back to the BC to hop on the Magical Express (usually we'll take some pastries with us, I love the mouse and napoleans). This past December, my family grabbed a table outside at the American pavillion and my wife and I went and got dinner for us at the patisserie, brought it all back and enjoyed the Candlelight processional while having our coissants, cheese, and assorted pastries.

RiversideBunny

That's unAmerican- you can't eat a 'croissant' at the American pavillion. :ROFLOL:
Well- maybe you can. It's in honor of Lafayette who helped the American forces during the Revolutionary war.

I can remember when World Showcase used to open at the same time as the rest of EPCOT. We would bypass Future World and walk on back to France and have breakfast at the pastry shop.

:king:

durangojim

That's unAmerican- you can't eat a 'croissant' at the American pavillion. :ROFLOL:
Well- maybe you can. It's in honor of Lafayette who helped the American forces during the Revolutionary war.

I can remember when World Showcase used to open at the same time as the rest of EPCOT. We would bypass Future World and walk on back to France and have breakfast at the pastry shop.

:king:

If it makes you feel any better, we got a funnel cake afterwards :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom