Borrowing Points Question

karolena3

Original Poster
In January of 2013 my family will be staying at BLT. My father already banked his points from this use year, but we still need to borrow from the next one. He was wondering how borrowing works. We don't know exactly how many points we need, so can you borrow multiple times if you don't get enough the first time?

And just out of curiosity, how helpful would Disney be in figuring this whole situation out?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pioneer Hall

You can borrow from the following use year, but the transaction is final. So say I have 200 points today and still have all 200 in my account for next year as well. If I needed 200 points to book a trip in this use year, I could borrow the 50 from next year. However, once I give them the OK to move those 50 points I cannot put them back in to the next year. So if you were to cancel that trip for any reason those points would have to be used before the current use year is over. You can borrow as many times as you want, but obviously you can't borrow more than what is available in the next use year.

slappy magoo

All he has to do is call DVC, say where he wants to stay and for how long, and that he would like to borrow from next year's points to do so. It's an easy process, as long as he has enough points next year, to cover this year's trip.

But Disneyinsider is right, when you borrow points, if you have to cancel the trip for any reason, those borrowed points have to be used in this use-year. There is one semi-saving grace, which I had to do last year - you can transfer those borrowed points to be used in the RCI exchange. If you would like to visit anywhere else in the country, it's not a bad deal, and you get a little more time to choose where or when. The points I borrowed that were exchanged for RCI points last year don't expire until the end of 2013. Perhaps not the best use of the points, but based on our situation at the time, it was either that or lose the points entirely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom