Booking SW flights before baby arrives

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Hey all!

We’ve got a trip planned in mid-October with a bunch of family. I will be booking flights for my family (2 adults, 2 kids and a not yet born baby). Southwest should release flights for October in late April. Baby isn’t due until May.

Here’s the question:
Has anyone bought 4 plane tickets and then added a ticket for a 5th person? I don’t foresee any problems, but maybe there’s something I’m missing? It’s open seating, so we should be ok...
On the off chance we decided to fly with baby as a lap infant, has anyone added a lap infant to an adult ticket a few months after buying the adult ticket?

No reason to wait to book the first 4 tickets until after baby arrives, right?

Thanks!!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The 5th ticket will be on a separate reservation/confirmation number and the system will flag it as an unaccompanied minor. It's not a major problem, but it can cause headaches with check-in and boarding, and you might have to call to make any changes because the online system won't let you do much.

I get the impulse to scoop up the Wanna Get Away? fares as soon as they drop, but you're not going to miss out on the best rates if you wait a few weeks.

You can add a lap infant at any time, including at the check-in counter if you want to. You actually CANNOT add a lap infant when booking online, so if you decide to go that route go ahead and book the four tickets and then call later.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
If you're going to add a lap baby that should not be an issue to do after booking the flight.
However if you're going to purchase a seat for the baby it could be an issue if the flight is sold out... If not sold out you could also be looking at a much higher price if you wait to book that seat... But then again if you book the seat before baby is born you'd need the baby's info like name etc... Kind of an odd situation.
I think I would either plan to have the baby in your lap or hold off until baby is actually here to book...

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Thanks @CaptainAmerica & @Queen of the WDW Scene!

I hadn’t thought about the unaccompanied minor issue. We’ll look at flight prices when they post and make a call on what to do. We could always book one grownup with two kids and wait and book the other grownup with the baby. Or wait and book everyone together. Babies come when they come, so waiting a month to book flights makes me anxious but might be the thing to do.

We haven’t decided yet about ME or renting a car. If we rent we’ll need to have a car seat anyway. If not a lap infant might work, though we’ve never done that before.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Thanks @CaptainAmerica & @Queen of the WDW Scene!

I hadn’t thought about the unaccompanied minor issue. We’ll look at flight prices when they post and make a call on what to do. We could always book one grownup with two kids and wait and book the other grownup with the baby. Or wait and book everyone together. Babies come when they come, so waiting a month to book flights makes me anxious but might be the thing to do.

We haven’t decided yet about ME or renting a car. If we rent we’ll need to have a car seat anyway. If not a lap infant might work, though we’ve never done that before.
Not to get too personal, but for breastfeeding families, we've found that lap infant is actually very helpful. Nursing during takeoff and landing helps the baby regulate ear pressure.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Not to get too personal, but for breastfeeding families, we've found that lap infant is actually very helpful. Nursing during takeoff and landing helps the baby regulate ear pressure.
Thanks! That’s helpful. We’ve always gotten babies a seat, but we’ve always needed the car seat at our destination. This is the first time we might not, so a new experience (you’d think by the third one there wouldn’t be so many logistics to figure out...!)

buseegal

Thanks! That’s helpful. We’ve always gotten babies a seat, but we’ve always needed the car seat at our destination. This is the first time we might not, so a new experience (you’d think by the third one there wouldn’t be so many logistics to figure out...!)
been years since I needed a seat for baby but one time years ago our TA made a ressie for baby yet to come as Baby and our last name. when she arrived amended it. not sure if this can still be done

RememberWhen

Original Poster
been years since I needed a seat for baby but one time years ago our TA made a ressie for baby yet to come as Baby and our last name. when she arrived amended it. not sure if this can still be done
Thanks. I chatted with a SW agent and they said we can’t do that. Maybe with other airlines?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom