Booking Galactic Starcruiser with points

cindy_k

Original Poster
I called in the afternoon, in hopes of avoiding the morning rush.
Took 40 minutes to get a DVC rep to start the process.
They look up your wanted date, and confirm that you have the points and borrow what is needed.
and take your card for the $95 reservation fee.

Then they put you in queue to speak to Disney Reservations, to actually book the room.
At this point, you don't have a guarantee that the room is available.
For 1pm on Friday, it was an additional hour wait to get Disney Reservations, with super ominous hold music.

Finally got a person at 2:45pm. He was able to get the cabin booked for the date requested.

They will ask you your dining time preference. Like a cruise, you can choose between 5:30p or 8pm.
And if captains table is available it can also be done at this time. It wasn't available for us.

The other excursions have to wait for 60 days out.

That was a long wait to get it done.
All together it was a 3 hour phone call.

i<3riviera

just following-up, these point charts are all on the DVC website and have been for a while; not intending to offend, just wanted to highlight the information availability to anyone that is interested

the site can sometimes be cumbersome but I think the point charts are pretty well laid out and available to everyone (no need to log in); there are four main sections ...
  1. Disney Stays (DVC + worldwide Disney resorts ex. Shanghai)
  2. Disney Experiences (cruises, Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser, Adventures by Disney, National Geographic)
  3. Worldwide Villas (Interval International)
  4. Worldwide Stays (concierge collection)

cindy_k

Original Poster
It was a lot of points. Due to some family things, we had 500 reservation points that needed to be used.
My son and his girlfriend will really enjoy this experience so to me, it made it a worthy opportunity to have them go.

Indy_UK

Im curious, I see DVC Rental store do a Cruise swap program. Would people say this is a good deal? Saving 400-600 points over Disney?

I'm tempted....

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Im curious, I see DVC Rental store do a Cruise swap program. Would people say this is a good deal? Saving 400-600 points over Disney?

I'm tempted....
Seeing that they are valuing your points at a minimum of $16 per point (max of $18), it looks like a good deal. If you made the reservation through DVC, they value your points somewhere around $7 per point.
The other thing is that it may be considered like a store credit thing where you're not "selling" points and may not be creating a taxable event. Owners are supposed to pay income taxes on profit from renting points, and it's doubly important to remember when to do so when the broker automatically sends a form to report to IRS.

It's worth asking DVC rental store about reporting and a tax professional about if able to handle as a non-taxable event.

Indy_UK

The other thing is that it may be considered like a store credit thing where you're not "selling" points and may not be creating a taxable event. Owners are supposed to pay income taxes on profit from renting points, and it's doubly important to remember when to do so when the broker automatically sends a form to report to IRS.

It's worth asking DVC rental store about reporting and a tax professional about if able to handle as a non-taxable event.

It's exactly that.

So I contacted them about renting my points out instead for a 4 night Cruise from Miami. Quoted me roughly 175 points to do so and thats what I ended up doing. Because the money isn't technically 'leaving' the country, Tax isn't paid on it and yeah it becomes like a credit which is then used for the cruise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom