Boma: Worth it if not staying at AKL?

Chux

Its a buffet is it not????

Shh, they didn't get the memo.

I love Boma, had breakfast and dinner once while staying at the AKL, and on two other occasions made PS's while staying at the Poly.

Great Soups, Fufu is awesome, and the breakfast juice is good too.

Even though you might be put off by "African Dining" I assure you it's normal stuff.

Mmmeredith

Its a buffet is it not????

Yes. But, the wait staff was indifferent at best -- it was hard to come by a beverage! Additionally, the first time we were there we got there before the opening with an ADR at open and waited a long time with no beeper beeping...After everyone who got there after us was ushered in (about half an hour past our ADR time) we asked about it at the front desk and were accused of having stolen the beeper :hammer:. Then, we got a really rude server to boot. Not a fun dining experience...probably the worst I've ever had anywhere.

Plus, as far as buffets go, Crystal Palace's meals tend to be better prepared, more precisely seasoned, and the service is always excellent.

Breakfast at Boma is much better than dinner, in my opinion. Service and food.

ZapperZ

Then you certainly had a 100% completely different experience that I did, and I have been to Boma at least half a dozen times. Every single time that I have been there, the service has been very good. And we're talking about a large range in terms of party size, from 12 people all the way down to 2. Never, ever had a bad service.

While I also like the buffet at Crystal Palace, the buffet at Boma is more unique and uncommon. I could live just on their soups alone, especially that shrimp coconut soup. Their humus dips with the crispy flatbreads are also outstanding. There are so many unique dishes that you can't find anywhere on property, but also difficult to find elsewhere here in N. America, unless you are lucky enough to live in a large metropolitan area and have african ethnic restaurants nearby (which I do).

Zz.

Depends on how much you like atmosphere. It has lots of atmosphere, and compared to other disney choices its good. But if you are going to have a make a special trip there I don't know if I would recommend it. Then again I like good food regardless of the atmosphere so for me I would choose a run down dinner over a chi-chi restraunt if the food was better in the dinner. Using those guidlines and the thought that I was going to have to go out of the way to get there I might just as well pick a local place outside of disney that has better food but less atmosphere.

barnum42

Depends on how much you like atmosphere. It has lots of atmosphere, and compared to other disney choices its good. But if you are going to have a make a special trip there I don't know if I would recommend it.
IMHO AKL is worth a look even if you are not going to eat there. Getting some great grub at Boma is a bonus. I've even gone to AKL just to have nose and eat some African Stew at the counter service place, Mara.

tigsmom

Absolutely! It's a great experience.

If you book for the same day you go to AK, it's a short bus trip over, but even from anywhere in the Orlando area, I'd be going to Boma at least once per visit.

That is what we are doing. The day we arrive is a EMH night at the AK so we will take a break for dinner at Boma and then head back to the park. We have never been to the AKL so we are really looking forward to looking around as well as trying out what everyone says is a great restaurant.

ZapperZ

That is what we are doing. The day we arrive is a EMH night at the AK so we will take a break for dinner at Boma and then head back to the park. We have never been to the AKL so we are really looking forward to looking around as well as trying out what everyone says is a great restaurant.

Oh, then you are going to love it.

Keep in mind that there are two public observation areas on the same level as the entrance to Boma. So if you walk outside, you'll first bump into the pool. If you start to the right of the pool and walk around it, you'll see the first observation area. If you continue further around, you'll get to a more "secluded" corner that is the 2nd observation area. Both areas are good viewing points to see the animals, and often, there are cast member guides to explain to you all about the animals that you are seeing.

Oh, don't miss shopping at the Zawadi Marketplace. They have some cool stuff there. The bright orange and teal green AKL T-shirts are especially striking. I got a lot of compliments about each of them when I wore it.

Zz.

tigsmom

Oh, then you are going to love it.

Keep in mind that there are two public observation areas on the same level as the entrance to Boma. So if you walk outside, you'll first bump into the pool. If you start to the right of the pool and walk around it, you'll see the first observation area. If you continue further around, you'll get to a more "secluded" corner that is the 2nd observation area. Both areas are good viewing points to see the animals, and often, there are cast member guides to explain to you all about the animals that you are seeing.

Oh, don't miss shopping at the Zawadi Marketplace. They have some cool stuff there. The bright orange and teal green AKL T-shirts are especially striking. I got a lot of compliments about each of them when I wore it.

Zz.

Thanks for the heads up!

*copies & saves*

:wave:

pinkrose

Boma used to be one of our favorites and a "not to miss" place to dine on our trips to WDW. The past couple of times we've dined there though, it just wasn't as good as it used to be. :( Not sure what it was, but the food just wasn't as good. *shrug*

We tried Jiko on this past trip and really enjoyed it.

DisneyMarg

We've been to Boma several times for dinner and once for breakfast and it is a favorite for us. I read on these boards that you can get frunch at dinner. It's a punch usually served at breakfast. I had it with my dinner. I wasn't all that wild about it (very sweet) but it's fun to try anyway. And then you can be "in the know" when someone on the boards raves about it. Same thing with zebra domes. It would be worth a trip to Boma just to find out what everyone is raving about. I like them ok.

However, i LOVE Boma's ginger carrot soup, watermelon salad, and couscous. Mmmmmm wish I were there now.

When you go, do take time to look around. You can even view the animals with night goggles. It's worth the trip just to see the beautiful lodge.

Anthony95

stayed at akl and i personally enjoyed boma.

however,i had kids with me and they didn't like it. ended up feeding them again a few hours later.

so if you have kids that isn't afraid to eat food, lol, then go for it. but if you have picky eaters.... they may not enjoy it as much because they'll judge by what they 'see' and think the whole thing is bad instead of looking for what they like and enjoying that. they had a lot of african type of dishes that my kids weren't used to and that ruined it for them *rolleyes*... but me on the other hand... i was piggin out!

go for it at least once no matter where you stay on the property.

one more thing: ENJOY THE ATMOSPHERE. don't be in a rush. give yourself an hour and a half to relax.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom