Boma or Sanaa?

nickid

Original Poster
I just decided to add a night to the beginning of our trip at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for my moms birthday. We had planned to stay at Port Orleans Sun-Friday in a royal room for my goddaughters birthday. I wanted to do something for my mom and she loves AKL so decided to do that. Now I am trying to decide if we should do Boma or Sanaa for dinner. We haven't been to either. Any suggestions on which would be better?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
"Better" is subjective. Both are restaurants are very good. Boma (Jambo House) is a buffet with lots of delicious choices, but the seating area is large and the restaurant is noisy. You cannot see animals from Boma.

Sanaa (Kidani Village) is more intimate and quiet, and if you dine during daylight hours/sunset you can watch animals roaming about outside the windows. The menu is much more limited than Boma, so if you have a picky eater better to check out the menu first. The bread service is AMAZING.

nickid

Original Poster
"Better" is subjective. Both are restaurants are very good. Boma (Jambo House) is a buffet with lots of delicious choices, but the seating area is large and the restaurant is noisy. You cannot see animals from Boma.

Sanaa (Kidani Village) is more intimate and quiet, and if you dine during daylight hours/sunset you can watch animals roaming about outside the windows. The menu is much more limited than Boma, so if you have a picky eater better to check out the menu first. The bread service is AMAZING.

How far is the walk from Jambo house to Sanaa? I am leaning towards Sanaa for the views of the animals. Plus I read they have a good collection of teas, which my mom would love.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

belledream

Hard choice! It sure is cool to dine alongside animals at Sanaa, but we loved the wide selection of (tasty) foods at Boma more. Plus, depending on how late your dinner is, it may be harder to see animals if it's dark. I'd pick Boma.

nickid

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice! I couldn't get an early reservation at Sanaa (before sunset) so I made a reservation at Boma. May still switch to Sanaa if a reservation becomes available but it sounds like we would really enjoy either!

Zipadeelady

I hate to be the odd man out but we didn't enjoy Boma when we gave it a try. I chose it due to all the great reviews but we were a bit disappointed. My husband enjoys trying new and different things but even he was unimpressed. Oh and the Zebra Domes are way overrated. These are just my opinions though.

LeighM

A couple years ago, I wanted to surprise my husband with dinner at Sanaa. I was able to get an ADR for 5PM so we could have views of the savanna before it got dark. I checked in a little early and asked if we could sit by the large windows and we were the first ones to be seated. They gave us the table that had a constant dinner companion outside who was enthralled by his reflection in the glass. My husband loved it and the animals were very active that trip (but not guaranteed). It was also the only restaurant during our trip that acknowledged our anniversary :) We even received 2 free glasses of champagne. If possible, keep looking for an earlier ADR for your trip if the menu appeals to you. My husband is a picky eater and he found plenty to enjoy.

jwutony16

I just decided to add a night to the beginning of our trip at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for my moms birthday. We had planned to stay at Port Orleans Sun-Friday in a royal room for my goddaughters birthday. I wanted to do something for my mom and she loves AKL so decided to do that. Now I am trying to decide if we should do Boma or Sanaa for dinner. We haven't been to either. Any suggestions on which would be better?
If this was a few years ago, I would say Sanaa, but the last few visits have been disappointing so i would go with Boma.

Matt_Black

I haven't been to either but am trying both on my next trip. I'm a little nervous since we are a family of non-adventurous eaters.

I feel ya. On my 2012 trip, I talked my mom and sister into going to Sanaa, and they're much the same, particularly my mother (she won't even try brown rice or wheat bread!). But, our server did an excellent job of explaining what was on the menu, and since there are main dishes that are fairly straight forward (chicken, however seasoned, is still going to taste like chicken) they seemed to enjoy it. I'd take a look at the various Tandoori options.

Figgy1

Premium Member

^^^^^This. If paying out of pocket the edge goes to Sanaa. 1 bread service and 2 apps makes a meal

Last edited:

Jess G

I hate to be the odd man out but we didn't enjoy Boma when we gave it a try. I chose it due to all the great reviews but we were a bit disappointed. My husband enjoys trying new and different things but even he was unimpressed. Oh and the Zebra Domes are way overrated. These are just my opinions though.

You are not the odd man out. I loved Boma! But my hubby absolutely hated it, he will only agree to return for breakfast.

Edit: We will be returning to Sanaa in May :)

Otterhead

I'm a little nervous since we are a family of non-adventurous eaters.
There's stuff at both places for non-adventurous eaters. One of my group is the pickiest eater I've ever met and was quite happy with his plate of chicken fingers and macaroni & cheese at Boma, but if things like hummus, curry, and couscous are out of you & your family's comfort zone, then it'd be an odd choice for dinner. Personally it's one of my favorite restaurants on property.

Matt_Black

Here's an idea- if you have a few days before your reservation, take the family to the Landscape of Flavors at the Art of Animation resort. They have Tandoori selections very similar to what you'd get at Sanaa. If they say, "Oh, yeah, I'd eat that" you're gold. If they bail, cancel the reservation.

Simba's Mom

Is it possible to do both? I much prefer Boma's breakfast to their dinner, so since you're staying overnight, how about Sanaa for dinner, then Boma the next morning for breakfast?

Gartdog

Just returned today from Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village. We didn't get to Boma, but tried Sanaa and LOVED it. Bread service was wonderful. I had the Potjie Inspired (You choose one meat and one vegetable, and it is served with rice). I picked the Butter Chicken which is a very light curry dish and it was the best I've ever had.

A note on travel between Jambo and Kidani - it is about 10 - 15 minutes to walk. Everyone we asked about directions said to bring food and water because it is so far! It's not bad, but if you have little ones or older folks who don't appreciate the walk, they run a van between Jambo and Kidani all day. Takes two minutes.

nickid

Original Poster
Is it possible to do both? I much prefer Boma's breakfast to their dinner, so since you're staying overnight, how about Sanaa for dinner, then Boma the next morning for breakfast?
I had thought about doing Boma for breakfast, but had already booked the Bon Voyage breakfast before deciding on adding the night at AKL. I'm hesitant to cancel that one as my goddaughter would enjoy meeting those characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom