Boma- Breakfast or Dinner?

awoogala

Original Poster
Going to AK on the last day of our trip.
Trying to decide if we should sleep in, hit ak, then do Boma for dinner, or get up early and hit Boma for breakfast before opening.
It's one of the restaurants we've never done.
Husband and I love spicy food.
The 11 year old boy loves meat and eggs.
The 8 year old girl likes almost nothing.. except carbohydrates, yogurt, fruit, mac and cheese, pizza, beans.
So what would you choose? What is best for us?

GoochDSA

Don't get me wrong, the breakfast at Boma is good.... if you are staying at AKL. If you are not staying at AKL, I personally don't think the breakfast is worthy of the hassel it takes to get there in the morning (if you are using Disney transportation or a taxi). IMO, all the breakfast buffets are pretty similar in food and quality. There just really isn't anything special about it. Dinner on the other hand is good, really good actually. The best buffet on property, IMO, and the only dinner buffet worth paying OOP for.

With that being said, are you able to afford 2 buffets in 1 day? If you could, I would suggest trying to land a Tusker House breakfast (even better if you can get one before AK opens) and then do Boma for dinner. At Donald's Breakfast Safari (at TH) you are greeted by Donald and then Goofy, Mickey and Daisy (the only character meal with Daisy) visit the tables, all dressed in Safari gear.

If you could swing it, I would do both (TH breakfast, Boma dinner). If you could only pick one, I would go with dinner at Boma.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Dinner would be my vote as there is a wider variety of foods to choose from. For your picky eater, there is a plethora of bean dishes available that she wont get bored and have many new things to eat. The Hummus bar alone should be a treat (FYI if you're not familiar with Hummus, its cooked mashed chickpeas with various additives to vary the flavor).

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Depending on if you want to get up early the breakfast is the best breakfast buffet on property by far!!! Unlike what the above said they have many unique breakfast items not like all the others, and also your regular breakfast items for picky eaters. Me and DH go every trip b/c It is that good. We have done other breakfast buffets and never made a repeat visit at any but Boma. Also we always do Kona for a non buffet breakfast every trip as well. All in all it's all if you want to get up early or sleep in a little. :)

awoogala

Original Poster
Don't get me wrong, the breakfast at Boma is good.... if you are staying at AKL. If you are not staying at AKL, I personally don't think the breakfast is worthy of the hassel it takes to get there in the morning (if you are using Disney transportation or a taxi). IMO, all the breakfast buffets are pretty similar in food and quality. There just really isn't anything special about it. Dinner on the other hand is good, really good actually. The best buffet on property, IMO, and the only dinner buffet worth paying OOP for.

With that being said, are you able to afford 2 buffets in 1 day? If you could, I would suggest trying to land a Tusker House breakfast (even better if you can get one before AK opens) and then do Boma for dinner. At Donald's Breakfast Safari (at TH) you are greeted by Donald and then Goofy, Mickey and Daisy (the only character meal with Daisy) visit the tables, all dressed in Safari gear.

If you could swing it, I would do both (TH breakfast, Boma dinner). If you could only pick one, I would go with dinner at Boma.
We can, but we did Tusker House every one of our last 5 trips! Trying for something different! (We also try and do only one sit down a day- any more, and we all get antsy to go, go, go!) Sounds like Dinner might be a better bet, thanks!

awoogala

Original Poster
How does it compare to "real" African restaurants/Indian restaurants? I like Tusker, but the spice is dialed WAAAAAY down there. We live in NJ, so we eat real indian food on a regular basis..but the kids won't touch it...:banghead: which is why we always have to do takeout and grab them some pizza!

real mad hatter

How does it compare to "real" African restaurants/Indian restaurants? I like Tusker, but the spice is dialed WAAAAAY down there. We live in NJ, so we eat real indian food on a regular basis..but the kids won't touch it...:banghead: which is why we always have to do takeout and grab them some pizza!
My local Indian in Glasgow does curries that hot,that there's a fire engine standing by outside..Phew..:jawdrop:..

awoogala

Original Poster
My local Indian in Glasgow does curries that hot,that there's a fire engine standing by outside..Phew..:jawdrop:..
Our local Indian place has mild/medium/spicy...
They always ask "white people spicy or Indian spicy?"
I always chuckle. Then we order "Indian spicy"
The thai place does the same thing. We have to remind them- No, the real spice!

GoochDSA

Unfortunately, Disney tries to please the masses. One of the things that suffers because of that is authentication. Spices and menus throughout WDW are dumbed down so that they can try to appear to more of the majority. If you have been to Tusker for lunch or dinner, Boma is pretty similar in spice. The closest you will get to "real" African/Indian fusion is at Sanaa at AKV, but even that is pretty basic.

awoogala

Original Poster
Unfortunately, Disney tries to please the masses. One of the things that suffers because of that is authentication. Spices and menus throughout WDW are dumbed down so that they can try to appear to more of the majority. If you have been to Tusker for lunch or dinner, Boma is pretty similar in spice. The closest you will get to "real" African/Indian fusion is at Sanaa at AKV, but even that is pretty basic.
I get that! I just thought maybe one or 2 dishes had a bit more kick than Tusker! ;) When in Disney, I don't expect it to be truly authentic- thanks for the heads up!

Plowboy

We've done both, the food and atmosphere is great. Lately though, we seem to do breakfast on check-out day as it holds us until at least Denver.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom