BOG FP+ only?

scoobygirl39541

Wow. This is madness lol I only ever ate at BOG once for dinner when it opened 2 years ago (haven't been able to get an ADR since) and it wasn't that great. However, my friend really wants to see the place in Feb, so I'm trying to stay up to date with this.... but I'm beginning to think its not worth it. We'd gladly wait in line, but who knows if that will be an option by Feb. While I cared enough through the first gazillion changes, I'm at the point now where if we get in, cool, if not, oh well. No way am I using 1/3 of my daily FP+ for this. That's just ridiculous.

Last edited:

tdpolo26

Who cares - Personally I'm not willing to expend that much energy on a dining experience unless its REALLY good and by really good I mean 2-4 Michelin stars. Not for food that can be found at the local Golden Corral.
its the ambiance and mostly the fact that we haven't been and my girls wanna go....so yeah I care... I am certainly not going to wait inline but if I can book it from the comfort of my couch I will go for it...

tdpolo26

Welp, that's just dandy. I guess this means cast members who have ZERO ability to book FPs in advance will never get to eat there for lunch again, right? 65,000 who make this business run are blocked out. Yeah. That makes sense. *eyeroll*
no offense I have worked for places like the Marriott and other guest service location ... and employees are there to provide for the guest... so we couldn't get lunch during peak lunch time in the restaurant stuff like that.. if an employee would like to eat at a place like be our guest they can book a room and spend the 1000's the on site guests spend I really cant hate on Disney for not giving the same oppurtunities that the guest paying 1000's to stay on property is paying.. again no offense but you have to look at it from a corporate stance...
picture this ...
you have spent 2500 dollars to take you and the kids to Disney... you cant get a fpp because they are all gone ... you go to get a walkup and there aren't any... and just as you are leaving a group makes it apparent they are cast members on there day off enjoying lunch there on their free park passess.... even if they are paying full price for lunch....I would be ed

alphac2005

Just off the top of my head and a general statement here... When we are now down to having to make so-called reservations to do everything short of using a bathroom at Walt Disney World, it seems a far cry from being a vacation, at least in my household. It all seems more like a chore nowadays. A very expensive chore.

hopemax

Welp, that's just dandy. I guess this means cast members who have ZERO ability to book FPs in advance will never get to eat there for lunch again, right? 65,000 who make this business run are blocked out. Yeah. That makes sense. *eyeroll*

And it's not like any of those CM's would ever have occasion to share with a guest, "You should really
no offense I have worked for places like the Marriott and other guest service location ... and employees are there to provide for the guest...

But what does this MEAN. IMO, it's important for employees of any business to experience what it's like to be a customer of their business. It gives them a better understanding of where a customer could "get lost," and how some procedures fail to help the customer. And it allows the employee to answer customer questions because they have first hand knowledge. These all IMPROVE the customer experience, and it should be encouraged. It's "off-the clock" training that results in a better bottom line for Disney than increasing on-the-clock training ever could.

So many times people point to something at WDW and say, "if the people running the place would just visit like a normal guest, they would see how X is a bad idea." It's clear that in many areas around WDW, CM's lack very basic knowledge about their own work environment, let alone be able to answer guest questions about something not related to their work environment. And WDW is unique in that guests think, "it's such a magical place, that of course CM's know everything about anything!" I know on my past vacations that CM's who were able to share details of where or what to eat, where to watch the fireworks, a hidden detail about a queue or attraction, answer how scary is X or whatever helped me to have a better vacation. And all of this is a big part of why guests thought WDW had the best employees in the world. So many of the recent policies result in actively denying CM's exposure to something which leads to situations where a CM can't commiserate with guests, or offer up suggestions to help a guest, because they simply have no experience to draw from, or training.

tribbleorlfl

Wow. This is madness lol I only ever ate at BOG once for dinner when it opened 2 years ago (haven't been able to get an ADR since) and it wasn't that great. However, my friend really wants to see the place in Feb, so I'm trying to stay up to date with this.... but I'm beginning to think its not worth it. We'd gladly wait in line, but who knows if that will be an option by Feb. While I cared enough through the first gazillion changes, I'm at the point now where if we get in, cool, if not, oh well. No way am I using 1/3 of my daily FP+ for this. That's just ridiculous.
Ridiculous to you perhaps, but I've personally been waiting for this opportunity since it was announced non-ride experiences (ie priority fireworks viewing) would be part of the FP+ system. BOG is practically an attraction in it's own right, and my family enjoyed our experience so much (and have yet to be able to get in since shortly after it opened) that we'd happily use one of our 3 FP's to secure a spot there.

CDavid

Ridiculous to you perhaps, but I've personally been waiting for this opportunity since it was announced non-ride experiences (ie priority fireworks viewing) would be part of the FP+ system. BOG is practically an attraction in it's own right, and my family enjoyed our experience so much (and have yet to be able to get in since shortly after it opened) that we'd happily use one of our 3 FP's to secure a spot there.

With respect, you're sort of missing the point; You shouldn't have to use one of your FastPass allotments to dine in a fast-food restaurant. That is what is utterly ridiculous.

The very concept of needing a reserved time - which isn't actually a dining reservation at all - is silly and hilariously overcomplicated. If Be Our Guest instead utilized Advance Dining Reservations (ADR) all day as (even ostensibly) a table-service restaurant, then few people would question it, and this thread wouldn't exist as it does. Instead, they are using a FP+ which, potentially, shuts out guests who aren't staying in a Walt Disney World resort and which most guests find strange for a counter-service eatery. People are accustomed to standing in line and waiting their turn to dine; It is a time-tested, self-regulating method of rationing availability when demand exceeds supply (and it works without frustrating and confusing guests).

If you are willing to use one of your FP+'s to "reserve" a time at Be Our Guest, why wouldn't it make even more sense to just make an ADR? Why needlessly overcomplicate the process with a procedure unique to just this one restaurant and which creates more problems than it solves?

tdpolo26

And it's not like any of those CM's would ever have occasion to share with a guest, "You should really

But what does this MEAN. IMO, it's important for employees of any business to experience what it's like to be a customer of their business. It gives them a better understanding of where a customer could "get lost," and how some procedures fail to help the customer. And it allows the employee to answer customer questions because they have first hand knowledge. These all IMPROVE the customer experience, and it should be encouraged. It's "off-the clock" training that results in a better bottom line for Disney than increasing on-the-clock training ever could.
I actually agree whole heartedly with you .... but ... most people would not understand ... now there is a gap from 230 to 4pm that they switch over to dinner and as I understand it they don't use one dining room.... they could allow employees

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There's plenty of other posts to visit on the board then. Seems like quite a few people care.

Original from your post

Who cares -

You might want to put the FULL quote in your reply, Changes the tone quite a bit. Here it is.

Who cares - Personally I'm not willing to expend that much energy on a dining experience unless its REALLY good and by really good I mean 2-4 Michelin stars. Not for food that can be found at the local Golden Corral.

Chippy

BTW, I've been trying every day for an 11/8 date and there were plenty of openings this morning.

Thank you Texas84! Thanks to your post I was able to book as well.

I sent an email to Guest Services explaining my frustration regarding this process. I was not requesting a reservation as I am fine with a 'No" as long as the reason is given in a kind and intelligent response to my inquiry. Just wanted them to know how their marketing test is shooting their customer satisfaction in the foot. Looks like I may send another. Hope they are received in the spirit in which it's sent. Paying attention to a few customer suggestions can save a ton on customer surveys, market research, etc.

Texas84

Thank you Texas84! Thanks to your post I was able to book as well.

I sent an email to Guest Services explaining my frustration regarding this process. I was not requesting a reservation as I am fine with a 'No" as long as the reason is given in a kind and intelligent response to my inquiry. Just wanted them to know how their marketing test is shooting their customer satisfaction in the foot. Looks like I may send another. Hope they are received in the spirit in which it's sent. Paying attention to a few customer suggestions can save a ton on customer surveys, market research, etc.

I think someone mentioned here that they open up around 27 days out. Seems about right.

Chippy

Well, I am not an expert on this by any measure. I only found out about it when Disney sent me an invitation on Monday 10/8. It did not work at that time. No information as to when or how ofter to try booking was given so I made the mistake of calling WDW-Dine after my first few attempts offered no availability . I had no idea that it might open up later. I thought I had missed my opportunity. Just wanted to know what I did wrong and suggest that they not send out marketing info when there was no availability.

My trip starts 10/31 so we are well past 28 days. More like 17. And if you judge ADR and FP+ standards - 11 days after receiving the message is a life time. Especially when many people set their alarms to be making reservations the moment availability opens. Luckily I found this site. Although this is our 5th family trip in the last 8 years, I've never visited this or any other site for insider info. Live and learn. Just wish planning a WDW vacation was not so hard. More and more it seems for insiders only.

natatomic

no offense I have worked for places like the Marriott and other guest service location ... and employees are there to provide for the guest... so we couldn't get lunch during peak lunch time in the restaurant stuff like that.. if an employee would like to eat at a place like be our guest they can book a room and spend the 1000's the on site guests spend I really cant hate on Disney for not giving the same oppurtunities that the guest paying 1000's to stay on property is paying.. again no offense but you have to look at it from a corporate stance...
picture this ...
you have spent 2500 dollars to take you and the kids to Disney... you cant get a fpp because they are all gone ... you go to get a walkup and there aren't any... and just as you are leaving a group makes it apparent they are cast members on there day off enjoying lunch there on their free park passess.... even
Except this isn't just a certain time of year, they seem to want to make this permanent. And there's no guarantee that booking a room will get them that coveted BOG FP, as many people have attested to that here.

Now, I don't terribly mind Disney or Marriott saying, "Okay, these days are super busy and we want to make sure as many guests as possible eat here, so for these handful of days of the year, CMs are blocked out." But I very much disagree with any company full out preventing their employees from taking part in an attraction/activity/whatever that they themselves run. CMs are the heartbeat of the company - without them, the company wouldn't exist. Plus, their money is just as green as anyone else's. Also, it's not as if CMs are racking in the dough - I would probably eat at BOG one or MAYBE two times a year. It's not like Space Mountain which I try to ride every single time I'm there (and even then, I avoid the super busy times simply because it's busy. You'll only ever run into me at the parks when it's cold and/or not crowded so I'm hardly affecting anyone's vacation.)

Also, let me tell you something - as a CM, I have been shoved, spat on, sworn at, called every colorful name in the book, threatened, and just very much disrespected by many guests, as have a majority of frontline CMs (I'm not a rude or mean CM, it's just when you deal with the number of people that we do, you are bound to run into a few bad eggs). Now, these awful guests are probably .001% of the total number of guests I deal with, but they are often the ones that stick out in my mind because, well, the awfulness of our interaction. They make me quite cynical towards other guests no matter how hard I try not to project the bad guests onto the good ones. You know how I snap back to my happy, magical CM self? I go to the parks. I go as a guest and experience what the guests experience and take off my CM ears and just look at the experience through the eyes as someone who is there for only a short time. I am reminded of how most guests are super happy and generally kind to CMs and how wonderful it is that I have the opportunity to be part of that magic that the guests come for. As more and more experiences go to FP+ only, thus making it next to impossible (or in case of BOG, flat out impossible), that means I'll never get to have that "reset" if you will to erase the bad guest interactions and replace them with the good. And what about my children? I can't get any kids over 2 in unlimitedly, so it's not as if they can go whenever they want like I could go on my own. Why should my children be punished by being blocked out of Disney experiences just because their mother just happens to work there? Sure, we can go 16 days a year, which is more than most people, but what good is it if they won't be allowed to do anything? How on earth is that fair to them? Same with when I have family in town - "Well, I'm super glad you came to visit, and yeah, I can get you in for free, but you'll only be able to ride Small World and the Tea Cups, and buy merchandise. The rest? Well, you can look, but you can't touch. Have a magical day, Mom." It's not as if we're paid well either. We get by, and we're not on welfare, but we certainly couldn't afford to visit Disney if we didn't have the ability to get in for free. If Disney wants its guests to have a wonderful time, then they need to go "above and beyond" for its CMs as well, so that we don't all become cynical grumps. I haven't reached that level yet - I don't want some Disney exec to find this post and hunt me down and fire me. I love my job and I, for the most part, support the company's decisions. This one, however, is NOT one that I am a fan of.

BigThunderMatt

I don't even want to think about the people who have no idea what they're doing, or getting themselves into...

What I want to know is how creating a system that catered to uber-planners when that is not even WDW's core demographic was supposed to help them get more money out of first timers and international guests (who ARE their core demographic) when it's completely unintuitive and overwhelming for them to use. Did they honestly think ing people off to the point of them just saying "To hell with it!" and not booking anything would push them into the shops and QSR locations to spend money because they don't have ADRs or FP+ entitlements for anything of note? I'd say if anything all that process would do is inevitably push them out of the gate with zero intent to return.

But just like all things cooked up by bean counters it sounds great on paper but considering the average guest is far from what MM+ was designed around it hardly worked like they anticipated it in reality. They've effectively created another Epcot at this point with all this wondrous technology based booking utilizing tech that will be obsolete in two years. And at that point their choices are let it stagnate or continually pay to keep it relevant. What do you think their choice is going to be?

tribbleorlfl

With respect, you're sort of missing the point; You shouldn't have to use one of your FastPass allotments to dine in a fast-food restaurant. That is what is utterly ridiculous.

The very concept of needing a reserved time - which isn't actually a dining reservation at all - is silly and hilariously overcomplicated. If Be Our Guest instead utilized Advance Dining Reservations (ADR) all day as (even ostensibly) a table-service restaurant, then few people would question it, and this thread wouldn't exist as it does. Instead, they are using a FP+ which, potentially, shuts out guests who aren't staying in a Walt Disney World resort and which most guests find strange for a counter-service eatery. People are accustomed to standing in line and waiting their turn to dine; It is a time-tested, self-regulating method of rationing availability when demand exceeds supply (and it works without frustrating and confusing guests).

If you are willing to use one of your FP+'s to "reserve" a time at Be Our Guest, why wouldn't it make even more sense to just make an ADR? Why needlessly overcomplicate the process with a procedure unique to just this one restaurant and which creates more problems than it solves?

I think you misunderstood my take on this. I'm NOT on board with making BOG potentially FP-exclusive, and I don't necessarily disagree with you that with as popular as it is, that they should go ahead and issue ADR's all-day. The problem is, I don't believe the current ADR system could adequately handle the volume of reservations they'd receive, and the logistics of administering ADR's for lunch makes my head spin.

Furthermore, to call BOG simply a "fast-food restaurant" intentionally deflects what makes the restaurant so popular in the first place. As I stated (and repeatedly said in the earlier "No More Standby Line at BOG" thread previously), BOG is an attraction in of itself due to the highly-detailed themeing and the overwhelming desire for many guests to dine in "Beast's Castle" and some of its most iconic locations. While the food is certainly among the best at a QS you'll find, that's not the reason people have waited up to an hour or more to eat there. It's the whole experience that makes the restaurant popular, and after all, FP+ is simply part of the Next Gen "My Disney Experience" program.

In the end, using the FP+ system, while foreign for a restaurant, might actually result in an overall better customer experience than the current setup or even making traditional ADR's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom