News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

britain

Horn was not hired to make original films, he was hired to oversee and coordinate across multiple production houses. If you want to blame someone for Disney’s live action output, look no further than Sean Bailey and Dick Cook.

But didn't he literally replace those two executives?

the.dreamfinder

But didn't he literally replace those two executives?
No Iger fired Dick Cook because he still wanted to make smaller movies and adult oriented movies, not just tentpole city. Iger elevated the then head of the Disney Channel, Rich Ross, to run studios as his guy. Lasseter and others hated how he ran the studio, he worked in TV all his career and had no experience with film or feature animation. Lasseter’s contract was coming up for renewal in ‘13 and he demanded Ross’ ouster after “John Carter” and other things. Alan Horn, who was basically kicked out of Warners for being old despite doing an amazing job there for ten plus years, was a free agent and Lasseter brought him to Disney to take over the studio.

That’s a very condensed version of the history, but you get the point.

Nerdman3000

I don’t think I could blame a guy for trying to recreate his success with Harry Potter from when he was back at Warner Bros (although, I believe any attempt to recreate Harry Potter is a fool’s errand).
The most logical path to that would've just been a faithful adaptation of the Chronicles of Prydain since it's pretty LotR-lite. Would've worked well as a D+ series as well. Certainly better than the Artemis Fowl dreck they dredged up.
Well, that or Percy Jackson, of which we’re technically now getting the later as a Disney+ series within the next two years with the book’s author Rick Riordan being personally involved. Of any series, I think Percy Jackson probably has the best chance at being able to be successful enough for Disney to be their equivalent of what Harry Potter was for Warner Bros.

Chicken Guy

Well, that or Percy Jackson, of which we’re technically now getting the later as a Disney+ series within the next two years with the book’s author Rick Riordan being personally involved. Of any series, I think Percy Jackson probably has the best chance at being able to be successful enough for Disney to be their equivalent of what Harry Potter was for Warner Bros.
Perhaps it could have been like that a decade ago, but they stalled on making the other four movies in the Percy Jackson franchise and now it’s too late to compete as a blockbuster in the style of Harry Potter.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They gave him a throne over at LucasFilm.
But that can’t be…everything was going great over there 🤔
To be honest I already do. As bad as "IP Iger" was, he's absolutely amazing compared to Bob Paycheck

There’s little difference other than polish. Neither seem to understand their IP or their target clientele
No Iger fired Dick Cook because he still wanted to make smaller movies and adult oriented movies, not just tentpole city. Iger elevated the then head of the Disney Channel, Rich Ross, to run studios as his guy. Lasseter and others hated how he ran the studio, he worked in TV all his career and had no experience with film or feature animation. Lasseter’s contract was coming up for renewal in ‘13 and he demanded Ross’ ouster after “John Carter” and other things. Alan Horn, who was basically kicked out of Warners for being old despite doing an amazing job there for ten plus years, was a free agent and Lasseter brought him to Disney to take over the studio.

You know who also was like that?
Honestly you can tell any sort of a difference? Things seem to be the exact same to me.
One has tv experience and more stock wonk savvy…that’s about it.

britain

Ok, but Alan Horn is the Chair of WDS. Isn't that exactly what Dick Cook's title was?

NickWilde

Don't forget...many of the price increases, loss of perks, and new things we must pay for were in the works under Iger. (And don't let the BoD or other higher-ups off the hook , either.)
I'm not saying he's free of sins, far from it. But at least Iger had the sense not to significantly alter classic rides, or even remove them entirely. *cough cough* Splash Mountain *cough cough* Such a move in my eyes brings you down to the lowest of lows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom