News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And Disney stock just keeps falling. Now at $118 down from $128 yesterday. If the market is reacting this badly will Disney go back on this hire and look at someone else?
Have you seen the Dow? If not, please stop commenting on how an individual stock is doing.
This is systemic...not an individual problem.

And it will devastate their wdw business If it goes full bore recession...

It’s not about a virus...that’s the flashpoint. It’s exposing just how bad the Chinese economy really is...it’s been in full recession for 4 years or so?

But nobody really knew how bad...that’s why you don’t snuggle with authoritarian regimes

flynnibus

Premium Member
And Disney stock just keeps falling. Now at $118 down from $128 yesterday. If the market is reacting this badly will Disney go back on this hire and look at someone else?

Uhhh.. did you notice what ELSE is going on in the stock market right now? To point at the drop as specifically linked to the CEO news and not take into account that the DOW was down almost 5% today.. If you'd notice.. TWDC is actually down LESS than the DOW and S&P today.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Uhhh.. did you notice what ELSE is going on in the stock market right now? To point at the drop as specifically linked to the CEO news and not take into account that the DOW was down almost 5% today.. If you'd notice.. TWDC is actually down LESS than the DOW and S&P today.
Very true...but they’re still getting racked.

I would guess some sort of bank engineered “rally” Tomorrow...but next week is key. If it continues to slide...fat cats are all out. They won’t have 8/08 on their portfolios again

Darkprime

Yes but I cant help but feel like the DOW being down is being used as a scapegoat for the market reaction to the new CEO.

Lilofan

Very true...but they’re still getting racked.

I would guess some sort of bank engineered “rally” Tomorrow...but next week is key. If it continues to slide...fat cats are all out. They won’t have 8/08 on their portfolios again
The risky investors living on the edge are betting the economy and markets will collapse and are short selling stocks to make a killing and laughing all the way to the bank.

donsullivan

Premium Member

Disney stock is down just like most of the stock market which is reported as the worst point drop ever today. Every major stock that makes up the Dow (and Disney is one of them) as well as every other index has been impacted by concerns surrounding Coronavirus. The Dow was down 4.4% today alone and is down 9.7% YTD. It's down 3,226 point so far this week. There is absolutely no data indicating the stock drop has anything to do with the CEO change, it seems consistent with the overall market trends right now. Anything beyond that is projecting an agenda on an unrelated story.

And this thread really expanded my ignore list- Wow. And yes, I know I'm that same list for many others

Last edited:

No Name

Disney Imagineering is not bound to the Disney look. If you hang out and talk with the imagineers at events like D23 (they staff the imagineering booth each year) you’ll see piercings, visible tattoos, and extreme hair styles.

Okay, sure, I am well aware of that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes but I cant help but feel like the DOW being down is being used as a scapegoat for the market reaction to the new CEO.

OK, I'm not going to tell you that you can't post on this topic. But, I can tell you that what you're posting is woefully misinformed and you place way, way, way to much importance to a CEO that actually stepped *up* and is virtually still running everything.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The risky investors living on the edge are betting the economy and markets will collapse and are short selling stocks to make a killing and laughing all the way to the bank.

That always happen...they are sharks that watch for their moment.

Institutional investors have to stand their ground.

What to watch for is the billionaire class...the ones that could lose half of their net worth in the matter of weeks. If they hedge and pull out...then the game is on

Captain Barbossa

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I don’t feel like reading the 20 or more pages that I’ve missed, but any chance that this has to do with the whole Weinstein situation?

bartholomr4

That always happen...they are sharks that watch for their moment.

Institutional investors have to stand their ground.

What to watch for is the billionaire class...the ones that could lose half of their net worth in the matter of weeks. If they hedge and pull out...then the game is on

The market (Rightly so) is betting on an inventory recession... Inventories have been drying up based on the fact that China has been closed for 2 months. It is going to take more than 2 months to build those inventories back to the level of demand. We are likely to see prices rise for many items in short supply.

What won’t be in short supply is hotel rooms, seats on airplanes, conferences will be cancelled....Travel is going to be suspect and looking at that side of the business from a Disney perspective, Cruise ship bookings are dropping, people aren’t flying, the two parks in China have been closed for 8 weeks. The market is afraid this is going to drag on for at least 2 more months.

This is why the market is dropping like a rock..... It may level out here, or the losses may be smaller, but the key for Disney and every other stock to stablize for these companies to start to report on how they are handling inventory shortages, how many people are flying, booking reservations. Once the market see’s the impact is temporary, it will bounce back.... If those inventories of empty hotel rooms rise, the price of Disney and every other stock will continue the fall...

Lilofan

The market (Rightly so) is betting on an inventory recession... Inventories have been drying up based on the fact that China has been closed for 2 months. It is going to take more than 2 months to build those inventories back to the level of demand. We are likely to see prices rise for many items in short supply.

What won’t be in short supply is hotel rooms, seats on airplanes, conferences will be cancelled....Travel is going to be suspect and looking at that side of the business from a Disney perspective, Cruise ship bookings are dropping, people aren’t flying, the two parks in China have been closed for 8 weeks. The market is afraid this is going to drag on for at least 2 more months.

This is why the market is dropping like a rock..... It may level out here, or the losses may be smaller, but the key for Disney and every other stock to stablize for these companies to start to report on how they are handling inventory shortages, how many people are flying, booking reservations. Once the market see’s the impact is temporary, it will bounce back.... If those inventories of empty hotel rooms rise, the price of Disney and every other stock will continue the fall...
The one area that is affected is companies bottom line and some companies go to lay offs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The Chinese economy is not good and has not been for some time. There are other problems across the developed world. Americans have outdid themselves for a few years In their ability to be greedy, clueless and live day to day off the wine that goes with bread and circuses.

The real question is what if the Chinese can’t rebound? That’s economic defcon 1.

It’s unlikely...but interesting.

I’ve watched people for 5+ year proclaim that it’s been “figured out” and now bubbles can grow without burst.

Silly rabbits. The flashpoint to cashouts and crashes don’t often do slow rollouts. We shall see.

If you’re a large scale investor and you want to stay in and make free money...just make sure to decide it’s gonna be for the long haul and delete your yahoo finance app 😉

bartholomr4

Lack of supply means nothing to sell...lack of sales lead to unemployment...unemployment leads to people without the means to buy...

And the dog catches his tail

Maybe.... But when the factories come back on line, there is overtime to meet the unmet demand. And if people don’t travel, they will do something different with their time and money.... New home sales and housing starts are through the roof.... There is a refinancing boom underway with the 30 year mortgage 1% lower than this time last year.... Hiring anyone with skills is a difficult proposition today.... I can’t see the future anymore than anyone else, but my bet is this is short lived.... Hopefully in the rear-view mirror soon!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe.... But when the factories come back on line, there is overtime to meet the unmet demand. And if people don’t travel, they will do something different with their time and money.... New home sales and housing starts are through the roof.... There is a refinancing boom underway with the 30 year mortgage 1% lower than this time last year.... Hiring anyone with skills is a difficult proposition today.... I can’t see the future anymore than anyone else, but my bet is this is short lived.... Hopefully in the rear-view mirror soon!
Travel is the absolute; bar none, first thing to go in a recession.

Part of reason they said anything about corona yesterday was the airline ceos where in the whitehouse, disputed the mandate to stay quiet about their worries, went to twitter immediately and let loose...a few hours later there was a press conference...that is part of that math.

Travel is not necessary, it’s a luxury by definition, and cancelling it involves temporary disappointment that is forgotten and affects no one in a significant way.

Long story short: don’t book any travel right now...see how it goes. The prices could freefall in 2 weeks.

Most of at least the US has no money to spend as is...so they won’t load up in J.C. Penney if they cancel their vacation. That’s not what has been going on for this last decade. There’s a reason why the only stores growing are owned by tj maxx and dollar tree.

The truth is not in the press...it’s hidden behind their bluster.

tirian

Iger wanted to step down to focus more on the creative pipeline in the Disney Company. It makes me wonder if he isn’t happy with the changes in and coming to the parks. It makes me wonder if he really does have a vision for the Disney company more than just money. I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes if I had the job to overcapitalize and destroy the soul of the Disney Company and Chapek is perfect for that.
Iger approved the changes to the parks. He promoted Chapek to be in charge them. Chapek isn’t some guy who somehow forced himself in against Iger’s wishes.

Iger and the board are more concerned about the film division right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom