News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

DGracey

A wild day for the House of Mouse.

It’s who we don’t hear from, or see, or pay attention to, that causes the most action.

Where are the largest shareholders in all this mess ...

... Murdochs?

... a “unanimous“ vote by the Disney board. Seriously? Those who follow corporate boards know boards often never vote such substantial decisions as unanimous. Heck - in Iger’s own book he outlines a bunch of board meetings with many big fractured votes - even his own to become CEO. Because people share different opinions.

... where is Ike Perlmutter. The Marvel purchase made Perlmutter one of the largest shareholder of the Walt Disney Company (after the Jobs estate, who are passive. Now Murdochs are top dogs). Who did Perlmutter hate in the Disney executive suite for years? Tom Staggs. Rumours persisted Ike did not respect Staggs creative sensibilities or decisions, and felt Tom didn’t respect Marvel or their “philosophy” at all. Perlmutter got former Consumer Products head Andy Mooney booted out, because he didn't like the way Marvel characters were being sold. So he got someone he liked and could control put into run that division - Bob Chapek. When Staggs moved to the COO post, and Chapek took Staggs place at Parks, Staggs then chose well-liked Leslie Ferraro to run Consumer Products. Guess what happened there? Perlmutter did not like Staggs choice in Ferraro either - and poof - just 9 months into her new role, she was gone (under a cloud of suspicion why?). Perlmutter apparently told Iger that, as a top Disney shareholder, there was no way he was supporting Staggs for the CEO job. And Disney's board (representing shareholders!) got the message too - so Staggs was finally out. While Iger put Staggs in the COO post so he could prove he was a worthy heir, it actually proved the opposite - it was never meant to be. Because of Ike. Perlmutter had been, behind the scences, forcefully pushing and grooming for his main man to take over the reins. Bob Chapek. They’re very close.

The thinking for years has been Chapek becomes CEO, and Jimmy Pitaro (another Perlmutter loyalist) takes over Parks and Resorts. Now at ESPN, Pitaro formerly ran the consumer and digital products’ division, which he took over from - Bob Chapek. Quite the cycle happening here ...

So, the power players behind the scenes got their guy.

We now have the most uncreative executive, running the most creative company on earth. There’s a reason Iger stressed “creative creative creative” in his talking points today. He knows, Chapek has none.

What could go wrong.

Honestly, Mickey deserves a better master.

Those praying to the gods for Iger to go, have gotten their wish. Here’s hoping the prayers were worth it.

Because when you pray for rain, you have to deal with the mud too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This decision will be key for me. Does Chapek install someone with intimate knowledge of the parks and an appreciation for them, or does he install someone from DCP? I also hope he doesn’t just pluck Colglazier from the executive ranking (I believe he’s technically the second highest in command). Colglazier has a poor reputation.

I hope he installs someone like D’Amaro or perhaps Bob Weis.

The die is cast.

Chapek would install someone looking to maximize yield from the parks as espn and cable revenues finally die.

Anyone who begins to spin some angle in any way that results In the theory that’s “good” for the parks clientele is fooling themselves.

It won’t happen.

Donaldfan1934

Let me get this straight...

Right now, the people running the parks are Iger and Chapek.

And for the next year and a half, the people running the parks are Iger and Chapek and someone they handpick.

OMG... Everything's going to immediately change!!!
That’s the problem, though. With the prospect of Iger stepping down getting increasingly closer to a reality, fans remained cautiously optimistic that his successor would be to him what he initially was to Eisner. Someone who, while not necessarily perfect, could course correct some of the decisions made by those in charge during the later years of his tenure.

Now that it’s come to pass, not only is it clear no course corrections will be made, but that we’ll be getting a double down on what fans have found to be troubling over the past few years. Sure, Disney has had its ups and downs in the past, but the silver linings haven’t been this slim in a very long time.

GoneViral

That’s the bad ending...

The foundation is the sad state they took over with in 1984 and what they managed to build by 1995.

They took a rather “small potatoes” cartoon studio and grew it into what would became an international powerhouse.

History is fluid...you can’t cherrypick from the whole picture.

And everything probably turns out a lot better if Frank Wells doesn't die in a tragic helicopter accident.

DisneyTalks

Ugh, why can’t we get someone like Walt back. I know that’s too much to ask, but we should get a ceo who knows how to run a business as well as being fresh and creative. At least Eisner brought back the Renaissance Disney age and made a great amount of original rides. Can’t wait to literally see all marvel and Star Wars dumped at literally every corner. I want real Disney Magic. Give us more originality and or things related to what Walt created or what Disney is best known for with animation

Markiewong

Ugh, why can’t we get someone like Walt back. I know that’s too much to ask, but we should get a ceo who knows how to run a business as well as being fresh and creative. At least Eisner brought back the Renaissance Disney age and made a great amount of original rides. Can’t wait to literally see all marvel and Star Wars dumped at literally every corner. I want real Disney Magic. Give us more originality and or things related to what Walt created or what Disney is best known for with animation
Because Iger didn’t give any of this? You got Pixar back, the whole MCU, mega expansions for DCA & WDP and HKDL, Epcot Overhaul after it was neglected for 20 years and ditto for Studios and last but not least Iger gave us the second Disney Renaissance. I mean yhea Chapek has to prove himself, but maybe it is for the better that is no longer the Parks guy and just purely a business guy (literally, Iger even stripped his creative control)

Matthew

well I for one think Iger has done a great job as CEO. I am also prepared to give Chapek the benefit of the doubt because if he makes a mess of it then it's clear he will be out quickly.

I do think sometimes this forum tends to lean towards mass hysteria about things... don't get me wrong I love reading it all still.

Wildstar

Um I'll do it I have the largest collection of Disney vynlmation figures and 300 plus Funko Pop figures.

Lilofan

Do we know if Iger will still take part in future conference calls like today or will those be handled by Chapek moving forward? Iger always made the calls worth listening to providing thoughtful answers and interesting insight into the company. Doubt I'll bother tuning in if its Chapek at the wheel.
If Iger micro manages Chapek the new CEO, Iger will take part and people will think Chapek is a puppet CEO. But if he trusts Chapek then the CEO and CFO usually is on the conference call with Wall Street. Chapek and Iger had no choice but to have an immediate conference call with Wall Street and get in front of the cameras ASAP for a live interview after CNBC broke open the story yesterday. Those guys shock, sadness and forced smiles were evident in the live interview on CNBC yesterday.

Last edited:

FettFan

Any word on who replaces Chapek? This could be a good think for the parks based on that person.

The only person with enough creativity to take over P&R and lead it in the proper direction is also possibly just insane enough to not actually WANT the position.

I'm speaking of course about the man, the myth, the legend, and the earring that is Joe Rhode.

Cmdr_Crimson

The only person with enough creativity to take over P&R and lead it in the proper direction is also possibly just insane enough to not actually WANT the position.

I'm speaking of course about the man, the myth, the legend, and the earring that is Joe Rhode.
Funny, I thought his ear ring would be CEO and He could be Chairman of the parks and resorts..

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom