Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikibirdLand

My understanding is the language is intentionally vague so that different districts can enforce it in different ways. It’s not a sign of well-considered legislation.
legislation is messy in all houses of government. You might want to take a read of some of California's (or your state's) adopted legislation. You'd think they could write something without holes since most are lawyers. On second thought, maybe it's vague BECAUSE they're lawyers!

Californian Elitist

You can come up with all the worst hypotheticals you want but the reality is different. Teachers should focus on teaching, not indoctrinating their students with their political beliefs.
Briefly talking about the subject if it happens to come up is not indoctrination. And that is teaching. I remember my sister telling us that a student in her fifth grade class asked their teacher if he was gay (he was) in the middle of class one day. Their teacher spent a few minutes addressing the student’s question, educated them on the subject, and kindly moved on. This was nearly 20 years ago.

You’re assuming that ever teacher that speaks of the subject will throw their political beliefs into it, which is a large assumption. If parents are so concerned about this, they should homeschool their kids.

ImperfectPixie

Parents shouldn’t have more say in their child’s education unless they have a degree? LOL! This doesn’t even dignify a response.
No, they shouldn't. Because if they had more say, we'd still have segregated schools. Please do the world a favor and keep the ignorance out of schools.

Being able to create a human does not make one qualified to educate that human.

TikibirdLand

The point is intimidation to keep it from being brought up in any manner no matter how small or inconsequential.

No, they shouldn't. Because if they had more say, we'd still have segregated schools. Please do the world a favor and keep the ignorance out of schools.

Being able to create a human does not make one qualified to educate that human.
You see, there's the problem. Those against the bill aren't reading it. There's nothing there that says one cannot briefly discuss it. Sorry. But, parents are responsible for raising their children. Schooling is mandatory; however parents are still THE PARENTS.

Using Segregation as a argument against parental rights is really just a Godwin's argument used to provoke an extreme response. I'm not playing. Oh, and creating a human makes you a parent. As testament, I'll say none of us were prepared! And, if you're not actively watching what your school is teaching your child, I'd say, you're definitely not prepared.

lazyboy97o

You see, there's the problem. Those against the bill aren't reading it. There's nothing there that says one cannot briefly discuss it. Sorry. But, parents are responsible for raising their children. Schooling is mandatory; however parents are still THE PARENTS.

Using Segregation as a argument against parental rights is really just a Godwin's argument used to provoke an extreme response. I'm not playing. Oh, and creating a human makes you a parent. As testament, I'll say none of us were prepared! And, if you're not actively watching what your school is teaching your child, I'd say, you're definitely not prepared.
The bill allows for parents and students to take legal action. That is clearly an intimidation tactic because a district has no way of know how a case will be determined, not to mention the need to commit already limited financial resources to defense. Without a clearly defined standard the clear intent is for schools to fear legal action and self impose overly cautious rules.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster

Not here to debate, as I really don’t want to make a bigger mess then I already have for sharing all those tweets that started this.

This article does a good job outlining the sexual orientation and gender identity part of the bill and why so many take issue with its vagueness, and how that vagueness can be used and weaponized against LGBTQ+ people who are clearly not welcome in Florida under its current leadership.

Again bringing it back to the reason it came up - If I was one of the imagineers being moved to the new campus, I would be outraged right now by Disney’s response.

Club Cooloholic

The entire reasoning for this bill rests on a Godwin's argument.
You want God in the schools and to ignore science, then homeschool. This mentality is why so many LGBT kids end up harming themselves.

ImperfectPixie

I was defending the bill as innocent at first myself. After further reading and watching comments made by the authors themselves...the LAST thing this bill is is innocent.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
I was defending the bill as innocent at first myself. After further reading and watching comments made by the authors themselves...the LAST thing this bill is is innocent.

I think we all can agree we want our teachers instructing our kids properly, on the subjects we need them taught. We don’t want them sharing their politics, we don’t want them sharing their religion, and we want all of these discussions if they come up to be treated appropriately based on the age of the children.

But again, I believe this is already the case. There may be a few teachers who have gone rogue, but I don’t see why this bill would be necessary to address it. That’s what makes the bill more suspect.

It only targets a specific sector of people, which says more the enough about its true intent.

Angel Ariel

Parents shouldn’t have more say in their child’s education unless they have a degree? LOL! This doesn’t even dignify a response.
Parents’ individual personal feelings shouldn’t impact the education available to ALL students. Family Life curricula in our state begins - in age appropriate ways - in K. Parents are provided annual access to what concepts will be taught at each grade level, and they have the opportunity to opt their child out of that instruction. This allows families to make a decision for their family, without denying *access* to this education for *all* families.

TikibirdLand

Not here to debate, as I really don’t want to make a bigger mess then I already have for sharing all those tweets that started this.

This article does a good job outlining the sexual orientation and gender identity part of the bill and why so many take issue with its vagueness, and how that vagueness can be used and weaponized against LGBTQ+ people who are clearly not welcome in Florida under its current leadership.

Again bringing it back to the reason it came up - If I was one of the imagineers being moved to the new campus, I would be outraged right now by Disney’s response.
You want God in the schools and to ignore science, then homeschool. This mentality is why so many LGBT kids end up harming themselves.
Just letting you know, schools have their own agenda (fought and settled a Federal ADA case a few years ago). Bills like this make sure that parents -- that want to be -- are involved in their child's education. To say I have an agenda of putting God in school shows that you weren't reading what I typed. That's not AT ALL what I said. It's OK for you to not like the bill. However, I see it as way to say, Hands Off My kid. I hope you or your child never has to go through what we did.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Still, the Disney company decided that the business climate of California did not fit their needs going forward in spite of its long history. They are building a new campus for this business unit in Florida. No nuanced speech, pleas of not "going political", or stirring debate.

Florida is not California. Disney decided on its merits, not others opinions.

BuddyThomas

As a Floridian, I support this bill. Keep those topics out of our schools. Parents should have more say in their children’s education.
It’s nice to see that when you are not attending insurrections or bouncing around theme parks wearing political memorabilia, you have time to drop a nice heaping load of homophobia on a Disney message board. I would have expected nothing less from you.

Sir_Cliff

Still, the Disney company decided that the business climate of California did not fit their needs going forward in spite of its long history. They are building a new campus for this business unit in Florida. No nuanced speech, pleas of not "going political", or stirring debate.

Florida is not California. Disney decided on its merits, not others opinions.
I think that is why Chapek's statement read as so cynical, though.

Disney proclaims itself as a company that celebrates diversity and welcomes everyone... until that conflicts with reducing their tax bill.

Maybe I shouldn't have, but the reason I brought this up in this thread is that Disney is also moving around its employees to increase profits and boldly saying in this instance (and presumably others) that it won't advocate for them if the political and social environment proves less welcoming for them.

lazyboy97o

Bills like this make sure that parents -- that want to be -- are involved in their child's education.
In what way were parents in Florida prohibited from being involved in the functioning of a school district? Bills like this let a few people engage in coercive action by threatening and engaging in legal action all while those who passed the law can claim otherwise. It is openly and deliberately disingenuous.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Just letting you know, schools have their own agenda (fought and settled a Federal ADA case a few years ago). Bills like this make sure that parents -- that want to be -- are involved in their child's education. To say I have an agenda of putting God in school shows that you weren't reading what I typed. That's not AT ALL what I said. It's OK for you to not like the bill. However, I see it as way to say, Hands Off My kid. I hope you or your child never has to go through what we did.
I want you to imagine you are a gay 14 year old. Just try it. Imagine you have parents that would never approve, religious zealots homophobic what ever. The kind that want to put a hurt on anything "other", and now you are told that you don't have a safe place at school either.
And for what, because people are afraid schools are turning their kids gay? Seriously?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I think that is why Chapek's statement read as so cynical, though.

Disney proclaims itself as a company that celebrates diversity and welcomes everyone... until that conflicts with reducing their tax bill.

Wouldnt be the first company to participate in greenwashing or other forms of tacit lip service in search of any perceived advantage. I hate to be cynical but in business it's always about the money... they love its customers? They love their impact on the balance sheets.

seascape

Teachers in FL are paid so pathetically, wages are pitiful across the board and the state is becoming unaffordable for so many...and these are the pieces of legislation this moronic government passes or even has the audacity to waste time on. How any teacher will even want to deal with this BS is beyond me.
I agree teachers should be paid a reasonable amount. However, anyone that posts teachers should be paid more should also post what government benefits are you willing to give up or how much more you are willing to pay in taxes. I am willing to pay a few hundred more in state taxes to pay teachers but want the school adminiatration cut too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom