Bob Chapek's days as CEO may be numbered

Lilofan

In the ranks of CEO's B.C. is a low brow knuckle dragger who is greedy.
There is that quote from the movie Wall Street with Michael Douglas

Greed is good, greed for money, love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. This is what fuels the United States capitalist machine. I've been invested in it long-term .

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

Looks like a hostage video.

Firs thing I thought too. And believe me, in Canada we have seen plenty of times (especially over the last two years) where a politician or whoever was clearly in what looked like a hostage "deer in the headlights" video.

Giving LGBTQ kids representation isn't creepy. And yes, they exist. Most people know they are gay at a young age.

The target audience does not need that sort of confusion. Plus, the thing about Disney is that it has a broad range where it takes you away from the real world, that has always sort of been the point. There aren't churches in Disney movies either, but for decades Christians have flocked to Disney and bought their movies and not demanded that they are represented either. Disney has a lot of creepy execs in the company, and that is bothersome. Regardless, it is a polarizing debate, one which Disney shuns one group or another over it, and that isn't smart considering their fans come from all walks of life.

Being or respecting LGBTQ+ is not anti-family, and Disney products are consumed by families that have what you might label “non-traditional values.”

People can buy anything they want, and everyone from every family ought to be able to do this, and they haven. What am I missing here? Why push an agenda? Why speak out against a bill that literally is nothing what the media is portraying. Basically what Disney is doing is going against a bill that says teachers shouldn't talk to children about sex before 9 years old. That is literally common sense to the point that even legendary liberal Bill Maher found it creepy for teachers to do this. So yeah, it is a bad look for Disney, they ought to back away from this, the bill is simply common sense.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

There is that quote from the movie Wall Street with Michael Douglas

Greed is good, greed for money, love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. This is what fuels the United States capitalist machine. I've been invested in it long-term .
Yes, very familiar with that concept and movie. Some business people are creative, imaginative, innovative and yes greedy totally focused on the prize of accumulating wealth, riches and money, but, do it with class. Then there is a segment of uncreative, unimaginative, noncreative and absolutely greedy, obsessed with that prize of wealth, riches and money who become low brow, drooling knuckle draggers. Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas) was not low brow he had class, he was devious but classy.

B.C. has no class.

celluloid

Yes, very familiar with that concept and movie. Some business people are creative, imaginative, innovative and yes greedy totally focused on the prize of accumulating wealth, riches and money, but, do it with class. Then there is a segment of uncreative, unimaginative, noncreative and absolutely greedy, obsessed with that prize of wealth, riches and money who become low brow, drooling knuckle draggers. Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas) was not low brow he had class, he was devious but classy.

B.C. has no class.

That is what bothers me about that quote and the use of the word in the film's writing. I too get the movie and concept goal like you. Greed by deifnition is the (weird censored me for a four letter word that is one of the seven deadly sins that rhymes with must and strts with the letter l) of money where other things get lost. If there were moderation and class, it would not be greed. It would be business. Current leadership as you noted, has none of that showing.

Last edited:

Lilofan

That is what bothers me about that quote and the use of the word in the film's writing. I too get the movie and concept goal like you. Greed by deifnition is the **** (weird censored me for a four letter word that is one of the seven deadly sins that rhymes with must and strts with the letter l) of money where other things get lost. If there were moderation and class, it would not be greed. It would be business.
I have heard that term before " business ". When staff are terminated due to layoffs " it's not personal, it's business ".

Lilofan

B.C. has no class.
Greedy to be the best, exceeding profit goals, etc? What comes with that performance at times is achieving well deserved bonuses, raises , promotions etc.

celluloid

I have heard that term before " business ". When staff are terminated due to layoffs " it's not personal, it's business ".

People call a lot of things they should not. The intent of the leadership and decision making would matter in that case.

Is laying off seasonal employees taking care of not just their bonuses but many people's livelihoods who are full time? I would say that is leaning on the business end.

Is there a siatuation where people furloughed as many as they could to run a skeleton crew and make more work and less service for guests with charging the most, they ever have for parking without parking trams among other various examples to this day?

That would be a Greed flag.

Greed is the selfishness of money/power. So, it is easier to find. The company is particularly making it easy while thinking they are still good at chasing audiences.

BG313206

I hope he goes and the new CEO fires all the heads of management from California
They want to have this woke crap in California fine leave Disneyworld alone
Bring it back to what we all remember a magical place to go with your kids with no politics, no hidden meanings,
no agenda just celebrating the innocence of our children and ourselves
If they continue down this path they will lose the appeal of Disney and alot of people will look elsewhere for their family vacation.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
People can buy anything they want, and everyone from every family ought to be able to do this, and they haven. What am I missing here? Why push an agenda? Why speak out against a bill that literally is nothing what the media is portraying. Basically what Disney is doing is going against a bill that says teachers shouldn't talk to children about sex before 9 years old. That is literally common sense to the point that even legendary liberal Bill Maher found it creepy for teachers to do this. So yeah, it is a bad look for Disney, they ought to back away from this, the bill is simply common sense.
You really should go back and read the bill more carefully. First, it says nothing about teaching about "sex" it's about not teaching sexual orientation or gender identity. Second, the bill is not limited to 3rd grade it is could also be used to limit this sort of discussion at any public school grade level.

I have a lot of gay and bi-sexual friends and hearing the pain they went through when they were young, struggling with their gender identity and sexual orientation, we should be working on how to have more discussion of these topics, not passing laws that will limit that discussion.

DisneyHead123

On greed - the Dalai Lama actually speaks about “wise selfishness”, which aligns fairly well with how a free market is supposed to work in theory, if not always in practice. Basically - don’t make decisions that are going to screw you over in the long run. If you make enemies, create unhappiness, destroy the environment, create poverty, and so on, you are not immune from the effects of that. If you create stable systems that are sustainable and promote well being, you are also the beneficiary of living in such a system.

GimpYancIent

What ever happened to this concept!
1649517989573.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Cheapsteak Bob was originally right staying out of the fight. The company should never have been involved in political issues. Iger got too involved and Cheapsteak was right in trying to move away from that. The country is divided and risking a large percentage of their customers is stupid. Disney was right in giving benefits to all Cast Members and their families. Treating all CM equally is far different than getting involved in issues that have nothing to do with Cast Member direct employment or treatment while at Disney. I was brought up to believe you should hire and pay the best people and sell to and treat all customers with respect. The only color to favor is green. Business and politics do not belong together and this bill proves that.
It’s definition of insanity time here…

Disney has ALWAYS been involved in politics. A tad of historical research makes it clear.

Because they aren’t the most vocal politically does NOT mean they have ever not been involved.

Can we do the grown up thing on this? Not mumble about “magic” and various nonsense in a malaise?

Disstevefan1

Not the shareholder who is in it for the long haul. He burned through whatever remaining goodwill that was left with the hardcore fan. Hardcore fans take decades to create and you can't create them if the average middle-class family can't afford to come to the resort more than once in their lifetimes.
On these boards, for many, many years, when TWDC did anything, folks would say the same thing, it would hurt them in the long haul.

I no longer believe that. Even with ongoing periodic mistakes, TWDC can somehow absorb them and still come out OK as a company worth investing in.

TWDC is invincible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On these boards, for many, many years, when TWDC did anything, folks would say the same thing, it would hurt them in the long haul.

I no longer believe that. Even with ongoing periodic mistakes, TWDC can somehow absorb them and still come out OK as a company worth investing in.

TWDC is invincible.
The problem is your not considering that those reactions were very premature…which does not mean they were always going to be incorrect. Both can and may be true.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
His effort to correct his "mistakes" have embroiled the company into an even bigger scandal. Good work, Bobblehead!

Chapek's initial statement should have been it. The company gives money to both major political parties. The employees of the company should have had NO say whatsoever in whom the company chooses to give money to. They are merely employees, and can be fired. Replacements would be easy to find. Chapek's taken a mess and made it bigger. The publicity has been extremely negative and it's his fault for groveling. What an idiot.
I’m sorry…are you familiar with the employees of the Walt Disney company?…like at all?

Lilofan

The problem is your not considering that those reactions were very premature…which does not mean they were always going to be incorrect. Both can and may be true.
Some like to paint TWDC specifically parks and resorts that the sky is falling but quarterly earnings to Wall Street say otherwise in that division.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom