Boatride from Port Orleans to Downtown

EvilEmperorZurg

Original Poster
Has anyone ever taken the boatride from either Port Orleans to Downtown Disney or vica versa. It is really a nice ride at night. You get to see a different side of the downtown that you don't normally get ot see...What do other people think of this hidden secret...?

DisneyinBigD

Yes, the boat ride is a lot of fun and does let you see some neat things. Does anyone know what the contemporary looking condo/villa looking buildings are that are on the left hand side of the river just before it turns to go to DTD?

We also enjoyed renting the boats and driving them to DTD for dinner then taking them back.

hcswingfield

Our last trip down we booked tickets for Cirque du Soleil, and stayed at PO just so we could take the boat ride over and back. It's one of our favorite things in the park, and beats the heck out of taking the bus there!

EvilEmperorZurg

Original Poster
buildings

You might be refering to the old tree house villas. They are out of operation now. You see alot of them when you play LBV golf course.

wdwishes2005

EvilEmperorZurg said:
You might be refering to the old tree house villas. They are out of operation now. You see alot of them when you play LBV golf course.

they are being renovated, but i think she meant the disney institute, which, sadly they tore down.

tinkerbellish

The boat ride to DTD from Port Orleans French Quarter is the very reason that makes POFQ my favorite moderate resort! It's nice not to have to take a bus, and such a relaxing way to end a long busy day. (Not to mention you get to do a little more shopping every night when you get there!) ;)

EvilEmperorZurg

Original Poster
boatride

Honestly, I never used to like PO too much until they implemented the boat ride. The only bad thing about it is that sometimes you have to wait a long time to catch one to the downtown. Now if I have to stay at a moderate I choose PO. Plue boatrights has killer bananna stuffed french toast. yum

lscott933

it is a very nice ride back from a ride. a nice twenty minute ride in the dark. just sitting back and enjoying the weather. i love to stay there cause of the boat ride. yes it is a great ride back and forth for dinner and to see a show or to go to p.i. at night.

CaptainMichael

The boat ride is fun, but it isn't very time efficient. It is definitely something to be experienced, especially if you are staying at a Port Orleans Resort.

We took it to Downtown Disney in May to see Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. The AMC Theater is the nicest movie theater I've ever been in!

Computer Magic

wdwishes2005 said:
they are being renovated, but i think she meant the disney institute, which, sadly they tore down.
I heard the tree house are being tore down to make room for Saratoga. We took a boat ride in May and those tree houses are a eye sore. They were boarded up, deck falling off, and windows broken. I actually forgot about the tree houses until our boat ride.

Computer Magic

Connor002 said:
i dont remember much, but don't take it if you're in a hurry

i remember it took much longer than we expected
That is good advice. By the time you wait for the boat, board and the slow travel, it's not very timely.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
The boat ride is definetly a high light of staying at PO FQ. Just dont bother with the boat if your in any great hurry...but sometimes its nice to be abke to just sit back and relax. Going past the old tree house villas kinda gives me the creeps though. They are so old, dilapidated, and scary looking. Especially at night. I remember hearing a while back about Disney not being able to use the villas anymore because of either the ground be unstable or that the property was actually considered wetlands. I really dont remember which it was or if im even thinking of the right rumour...anyone else remember anything? And just a side note...i miss the Disney Institute. I really wish it had worked out better. But I can understand people not wanting to come all the way to Disney to learn stuff...rather just spend all their time in the parks (not to mention it was major $$$ for DI).

CaptainMichael

Computer Magic said:
I heard the tree house are being tore down to make room for Saratoga. We took a boat ride in May and those tree houses are a eye sore. They were boarded up, deck falling off, and windows broken. I actually forgot about the tree houses until our boat ride.
I could be wrong, but the Tree House Villas are sort of distant from Saratoga; however, there is golf course nearby. I think they should be taken down for cosmetic reasons and also to eliminate guest questioning.

Computer Magic

STR8FAN2005 said:
I could be wrong, but the Tree House Villas are sort of distant from Saratoga; however, there is golf course nearby. I think they should be taken down for cosmetic reasons and also to eliminate guest questioning.
As for the tree, It's one of those boat drivers rumors. The trees should be taken down. That was the first boat ride between DD and POR in 5 years for us. As stated earlier, I forgot about the tree houses until I saw them and what an eye sore. The hurircanes of last year didn't help them any.

Tom

Beta Return
Yeah, we take the boat to DTD every time we stay at POR, which has been the last 4 years in a row.

My bro and I also rent the Water Mice and cruise up and down that same river. Last year we rented one of those canopy boats (not the pontoon) and cruised all the way to the lake at DTD, then back. Very relaxing and lots to look at.

Stormy Horizons

That is a great attraction. Last year I got this really great video on my digital camera of the Westside/Pleasure Island all lit up at night. Coolest view ever.

Stellajack

Boat ride to DTD from Port Orleans

This is one of our favorite things to do at Port Orleans! Never plan on taking the water taxi if you are in a hurry or you probably will not really enjoy it.
The Captain of your boat is really neat, gives you all sorts of interesting information.
BTW, at our last trip, he told us that Disney doesn't plan on using the old Tree Villas anymore since the state of Florida decided that the Americans with Disabilities Act required that they all be made handicap accessible. They are not dilapidated or falling down. As a matter of fact, all the furniture and fixtures are still inside "as if someone is living there" (per our boat captain). This may or may not be the complete story but we heard it twice from two different boat drivers, er I mean, "Captains". . Can't wait to go back this month for another trip down that 'ol lazy Sassagoula'. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom