Bloom is off the rose

brianhorn

Original Poster
I love Disney and tell all my friends how they are constantly exceeding my expectations. Yesterday I had a less then pleasant experience that took the bloom off the rose.

I have read in the past that if a preferred room is available, a resort may give you a complementary upgrade if you ask. With that in mind I called yesterday to put a request on my reservation for a complementary upgrade. I was told that it was against there policy to put such a request on my reservation. Now this sounded crazy to me, they should be able to put any comment on my reservation, so I asked to speak to a supervisor. She repeated the same thing and after a long conversation I found out that although I could not request an upgrade I could request a particular building, after all that's what I was really after. Three transfers later and calling back twice I finally got my request added and the agent said it looks like I really did my homework.

So what is my point of writing this post, to complain, no, I still love Disney. What I would like to address is the following.

1. Let people know you can request a particular building.
2. Find out what other requests might be available.
3. Find out how is the Disney travel company different from Disney resorts.
Thanks
Brian

C&D

My impression is that an upgrade may be given, if for some reason, your orignial room is not available and a like-accomodation not available (my guess would be for a variety of reasons, e.g. unexpected maintenance, damage or other unavailable internal reasons and an otherwise full house).
I would think asking for an upgrade, upfront, would be inappropriate in most instances. JMO

PintoColvig

So you wanted a perk for free that others are expected to pay for. Things didn't turn out the way you like so "the bloom is off the rose"? I don't get it.

Nemo14

I.

I have read in the past that if a preferred room is available, a resort may give you a complementary upgrade if you ask. With that in mind I called yesterday to put a request on my reservation for a complementary upgrade. I.

......and you really expected this? :shrug:

rwdavis2

I think it works such that you ask when you check in. In 2004 we got moved to a WL courtyard view even without asking. Probably because it was January and attendance was still down from 9/11. I don't think it works the way you expected it.
BD

brianhorn

Original Poster
I think it works such that you ask when you check in. In 2004 we got moved to a WL courtyard view even without asking. Probably because it was January and attendance was still down from 9/11. I don't think it works the way you expected it.
BD

You are correct, the representative did say you could ask when checking in and if available they will accommodate you. What I don't understand is what is the difference between asking when checking in and asking on a note on my reservation.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Disney's official policy for at least a couple of years now has been that free upgrades are given only for operational needs of the resort. If an upgrade is asked for and available you will be charged for it.

What you can request are things like what floor you are on, proximity to elevator, stairs etc, what building you are in providing that building is in the room category you paid for, and king bed or double beds again providing that option is available in your room category.

mousefan1972

You are correct, the representative did say you could ask when checking in and if available they will accommodate you. What I don't understand is what is the difference between asking when checking in and asking on a note on my reservation.

If you want a preferred room, you should book that category and pay for it. Asking the rep to note on your reservation that you want a free upgrade is tacky at best, downright rude at worst. There was a recent thread about asking for a free upgrade :

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.phpt=209934&highlight=free+upgrade+Christmas

brianhorn

Original Poster
......and you really expected this? :shrug:

Yes, I do. As I stated earlier, Disney usually exceed my expectations. I also go by the motto if you don ask, you don't get. When we visited in January, my daughter lost a hair bow she had just purchased. When we went back to the store to replace it, the clerk gave it to us for free.
what I really would like to discuss are the three topic above, not my expectations.

CAPTAIN HOOK

I have to agree with everyone else here - thats blooming cheeky.

Upon arrival at your resort there's no harm in asking if an upgrade is available - but requesting it days/weeks or even months in advance :mad:

Get your wallet out and give your credit card a workout

Bluewaves

Umm, lets see here a free upgrade for no particular reason, uh that sounds kinda strange to me, How bout asking to upgrade your room and you'll pay the difference or asking if you can stay closer to the food court or swimming pool or the first floor not just hey would upgrade my room for free and for no particular reason other than I asked. Thats just rude,

Requests like this are the reason I don't do sales anymore even though I made a lot more money, people coming up to you and for no particular reason asking for something for free, there is a reason they call it and upgrade because its better and people pay more for something better if they want it, not because they cry and moan like a little child.

So if this knocked the bloom off the rose for you, its only your fault not Disney's grow up.

Oh and to answer your question, Disney Travel is Disney's internal travel agent thats all, they are still CM's and Disney employees.

tooltime

i am not sure how this works, i have heard if it's your first trip to the world you might a better chance at an complimentary upgrade. i know it's not your first trip but thought i would throw this out anyway.

dazzer68

disney is a business not a charity, if you want an upgrade pay for it, but if they give you one 'out of the blue' fantastic.
i know what id put on your reservation....

geubux

Doesn't just sound like it, basically, you wanted SOMETHING for NOTHING and you thought it rude that they wouldn't mark right away, before you even get there, that YOU ought to be treated ABOVE any other guest. Yeah, that about sums it up. You're right, the bloom is off. You ought to take ALL your business to Universal. That'll teach Disney. Imagine, them not lining up to kiss YOUR buttocks! What were they thinking! Someone should lose their job over this.

Mystic

Why should Disney give you for free what I'm paying full price for? I'm staying at Pop in October and I requested and have paid for in its entirety a preferred room. Why should Disney give you the same room category as me for free simply becuase you requested it? It's one thing if you get there and Disney's upgraded you, I've had that happened before, but for you to expect them to do it because you asked and not charge you for it? I sure hope not!:fork:

brianhorn

Original Poster
If you want a preferred room, you should book that category and pay for it. Asking the rep to note on your reservation that you want a free upgrade is tacky at best, downright rude at worst. There was a recent thread about asking for a free upgrade :

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.phpt=209934&highlight=free+upgrade+Christmas

I suppose it is a mater of opinion and semantics. To me there is a difference for asking for something for free and asking something complementary. I apologize if their has already been a thread discussing upgrade, my intent was not to discuss that but these three topics.

Also I tried your link and received an error.

1. Let people know you can request a particular building.
2. Find out what other requests might be available.
3. Find out how is the Disney travel company different from Disney resorts.

brianhorn

Original Poster
So - a free hair bow = a free upgrade ? I really don't understand your logic here.

I was giving you an example of a time when Disney exceed my expatations. We full expected to pay for the bow and was suprised when they offered it for free.

Mystic

I was giving you an example of a time when Disney exceed my expatations. We full expected to pay for the bow and was suprised when they offered it for free.

Then maybe you should have offered to pay for the upgrade if it was available.:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom