Blockbuster Video???

DisJosh

Original Poster
If you rent a DVD at a BB store and do not return it or return it very late will a diferent BB store charge you for it? Or can you be only charged those fees at the store you rented from?

WDWspider

Sounds like you need to be introduced to NetFlix. Never a late fee, and always a movie at home. :) www.netflix.com

I think not as far as your question goes, it depends on whether you have a local card or a universal one I would imagine. I have a universal card so it may show up at all Blockbusters, but then again, mybe it will anyway. ???

JoeZerboy

Originally posted by DisJosh
If you rent a DVD at a BB store and do not return it or return it very late will a diferent BB store charge you for it? Or can you be only charged those fees at the store you rented from?

All the BBs are networked together now...so when you get a late fee, it'll show at any of them until it is paid.

Now, for items rented, they can only be returned to the location that you rented it from.

And, as far as NetFlix is concerned...it's kinda hard to do that if you do not have a credit card...or one that is usually booked solid with other things.

Joe

DisJosh

Original Poster
I've rented twice from my normal Blockbuster since renting the DVD at a diferent Blockbuster they've said nothing to me about a late fee or missing DVD.

goofyguy

It's been about 6-7 years since I worked for Blockbuster (and just about as long since I set foot in one) so this may have changed, but late fees do not transfer beween locations. At the time, they said they never intended to change this.

The main reason is that each store operates as a seperate accounting entity. Late Fees (or extended viewing fees as they like to call them) count as revenue for the store whether they've been paid or not. (However the store does get hit for them eventually if they are never paid.) So, if you get a late fee at one store but pay it at another, it screws with their accounting system.

So, after telling you far more than you wanted to know about the inner workings of a Blockbuster Store, the answer is "I don't really know, but you probably shouldn't have to pay if the fee was from a different location."

Anymore Blockbuster questions? I'll be happy to answer if I can.

JoeZerboy

That's strange...cause here in my area [Atlanta], I've seen it where a person will be in one store and the clerk will inform him/her of a late fee that is appearing against their member number from another store...

:veryconfu

goofyguy

Originally posted by JoeZerboy
That's strange...cause here in my area [Atlanta], I've seen it where a person will be in one store and the clerk will inform him/her of a late fee that is appearing against their member number from another store...

:veryconfu

Like I said, it's been a while since I've been in a Blockbuster, so it's entirely possible it's changed. It could also be a test that they are running in Atlanta. They frequently test new enhancements to the computer system in one area to see if they want to expand it to all the stores.

Also, many times if someone has a large late fee at store, the manager will call nearby stores and have the account put on hold, with a note saying they have a late fee at store X. This happens quite often if the customer has rentals that weren't returned. This could be what you're seeing.

DisJosh

Original Poster
Well, like I said Ive already rented two other things at my normal blockbuster and they said nothing to me. How long before they'll suspend an account? It's been out two weeks so far. I'm unable to contact the person whom has it and was supposed to return it. :mad:

I wouldn't call these stores close to one another although they are in the same state...do yu think they'll actually contact my normal store? Ya know normally I would pick up the phone and tell them the person they're looking for doesn't live here lol but it's on my moms BB account. Even if the fee does get tranfered to my normal store I would like to pay it off before my mom see's it ya know?

TravisMT81

they must changed it recently because in the summer I could go in between different BB if I didn't have the money to pay the fee.

The Mom

Premium Member
I wonder if a store that goes out of business transfers it's late fees? I had a late fee (my daughter's fault) at a store that went out of business. I never heard anything about it, and the last time I rented a movie, no one said anything.

dopey

Josh, maybe you can wait until BB has an amnesty day. I've been waiting for the Chicago Public Library to have one of those so I can return their copy of "What Color Is Your Parachute?" :lookaroun

MajinBuu

Having worked at BB in the past 2 years, I think i can clear this up for you.

Late fees are only at that particular store (Each store has a certain number in inventory). The only way that late fee can be at any other store is if there is a hold on your account for late fees not payed from 2 or 3 months ago.

DisJosh

Original Poster
Originally posted by MajinBuu
Having worked at BB in the past 2 years, I think i can clear this up for you.

Late fees are only at that particular store (Each store has a certain number in inventory). The only way that late fee can be at any other store is if there is a hold on your account for late fees not payed from 2 or 3 months ago.

So if I never rent from that store again I'm safe from paying the late fee? That was the first and only time I've ever rented from that store.

DisneyCP2000

Won't BB take it out of a credit card? Whenever I don't pay my late fees (after returning the movie late) they'll yank it right out of my card. I usually takes like 3 weeks before they send something in the mail about it. And a couple of days later they'll just take it out. If I went to another store they'd never mention a late fee, so I'm assuming they're not linked when it comes to fees like that. :)

Dopey...I had my sister return 6 CPL books for me and I found them in her trunk 2 years later! I screamed at her for that! I was SOOOO embarassed to return them frearing a $60 late fee. but when I returned it it only turned out to be a couple of dollars. Phew!

DisJosh

Original Poster
Originally posted by DisneyCP2000
Won't BB take it out of a credit card? Whenever I don't pay my late fees (after returning the movie late) they'll yank it right out of my card. I usually takes like 3 weeks before they send something in the mail about it. And a couple of days later they'll just take it out. If I went to another store they'd never mention a late fee, so I'm assuming they're not linked when it comes to fees like that. :)

Dopey...I had my sister return 6 CPL books for me and I found them in her trunk 2 years later! I screamed at her for that! I was SOOOO embarassed to return them frearing a $60 late fee. but when I returned it it only turned out to be a couple of dollars. Phew!

Why would Blockbuster have my credit card number? :veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom