News Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon to remain closed until March 2021

CJR

Do the waterparks operate at a loss? Seems odd to me since other water parks successfully operate and make profit, at least enough to stay operating.

Even H2OLive reopened. If Disney isn't making money from the water parks, they're doing something wrong given that they barely have invested in them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If it takes “6 to 9 months” to inoculate enough people and it was suggested that would or could be the case by June/July/August, my assessment would be reasonable...
Really depends on “soon”...that isn’t “soon” on Disney’s operating calendar.

That 6 to 9 months also only covers about 30% of the population by estimates...not well publicized yet...so along way to go. Not too helpful for “full recovery”.

The logistics are not in place for “soon either”...they’re just not. They should have “warped” that months ago.

Do you see more training centers to administer this? Rapid clinics for logistics? Massive cold storage facilities to contain the amounts necessary

Nope...I see more car lots and amazon warehouses along the New Jersey turnpike 🤪

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do the waterparks operate at a loss? Seems odd to me since other water parks successfully operate and make profit, at least enough to stay operating.

Even H2OLive reopened. If Disney isn't making money from the water parks, they're doing something wrong given that they barely have invested in them.
They don’t make “much”...which is a loss to Disney in their accounting senses.

Also...waterparks are low capacity, high overhead, don’t generate much easy money (merch and beer) and their ticket prices have risen at 200% in the last 15 years while the cages are more like 250%

DVCakaCarlF

Is there some significance to March 7th? Why that specific date for re-opening a water park?

I really do not understand the logic of keeping the water parks closed, and haven't from the beginning, unless it is strictly a cost cutting measure. I would think the water parks would be the safest of all of Disney's parks. They are virtually entirely outdoors. Social distancing is easily maintained. They do not have the mega-attendance that the theme parks get. And literally every ride and attraction takes place in highly chlorinated, disinfected water that could not transmit a virus.
Spring Break 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One can hope.
No colleges will allow spring break as it stands from the “science belt”...and state restrictions may persist.

I’m just using colleges as an example...that obviously isn’t a huge deal for Disney

The only way that doesn’t happen is if all the medical predictions are completely wrong about the winner...and leprechauns rule the day.

CircusPeanuts

Are they profitable? Yes. Are they as profitable as the parks, Disney Springs, resorts, etc - no. Have to look at the whole picture though - things like water parks encourage people to extend their vacation, stray less from property, etc.

Staffing is a BIG reason they are currently closed. Custodial was needed for the parks, any classified as attractions host/hostesses were pulled to attractions in the parks. CPs are a huge part of water park staffing, etc. Opening them for the summer was considered early on, but it would have been more trouble than its worth to make happen.

WDW Pro

They've had that planned for a long time. If you'll go way back in my history you'll find where I reported it. And barring Typhoon Lagoon having mechanical issues, they'll reopen it over Blizzard Beach for a host of reasons.

ToTBellHop

Disney (IMO rightly) doesn’t feel that Waterparks are safe at the moment.

As for which waterpark reopens in March, my money is on Typhoon. IIRC, that is the waterpark that does better food+bev numbers.
Yes. It's also less problematic for the buses since it shares with Disney Springs, which is hardly slammed during water park hours. Buses to DAK and BB at this point are a non-starter.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney (IMO rightly) doesn’t feel that Waterparks are safe at the moment.

As for which waterpark reopens in March, my money is on Typhoon. IIRC, that is the waterpark that does better food+bev numbers.
Well...they have definitely been more cautious and cognizant of PR appearances...for sure. People getting bowled over in the wave pool isn’t a great look to Disney legal.

But I bet it’s still financial more than anything.

Remember that waterparks are more heavily patronized per capita by internationals and locals as well...two demographics they’re not looking to take on cost to cater too these days.

The college program staffing is also an important point. They need lifeguards in the tenements for the water parks. This could be a hint at when they think that would resume. It’s a terrible idea...but one they obviously will monitor closely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom