Blast!! Blew through Mad City, WI.

Badger Brent

Original Poster
This last Wed. night I took my family to the Madison Overture Center and saw a great show. When we saw Blast around 3 years ago at Epcot, we returned to see them play 3 times that trip. This time around the show was more technical and serious. Not quite what we saw at the Ameican Garden's theatre. I still laugh at the Bohemian Rhapsody finale they did back then. We still enjoyed ourselves a lot. They really are quiet a talented group of young men and woman. So if you see them coming your way, my family gives it a Mickey's thumbs up!!! Let me know if anyone else has seen them lately or is planning on going.:wave:

SewIn2Disney

Was it definately Blast? Or was it their new show Shockwave?
I wanted to see Blast on Broadway in the WORST way. I was in color guard in HS, and I still teach twirling, so it was right up my alley. We had tickets to go see it in NYC on, get this, September 12, 2001. (Yes, the day after 9/11) Needless to say, we didn't go.
If they're still touring the US, I will definately go, thanks for the heads up!

SewIn2Disney

Never mind, I just checked their website (www.blasttheshow.com) and they are touring again, after a 3 or 4 year break! AND they will be in my state! (The day I start my student teaching...) Guess I'll have to work things out.

I can't wait to see them! I'm ordering my tickets on ticketmaster asap.

Thank you thank you thank you for the heads up Badger Brent!

Badger Brent

Original Poster
On a side note, the executive producer of the show did a little ceremony before the show started. I would give you his name, but me kids used the literature for extra credit for school. Anyway, this person was a member of the Madison Scouts drum and bugle core. He was living in a pup tent in 1975 along one of our lakes, just so he could be involved in the Madison Scouts. A gentlemen heard of this young man's situation and he ended up hosting this person. The Madison Scouts would up winning the national title that year. He moved on and the man who gave this kid a room, started a traditon of adopting a scout every year and encouraged others to do so also. This past summer the 1975 scouts were given there championship rings. Evidently the rings were something that came along after they had won. He took the ring and gave it to his surragate family. It was quite an emotional moment. The man was in a wheelchair, and the entire audience gave him a standing ovation. Then the concert started and it just added to the whole performance. Have fun SewIn2disney when you go. IT's WELL worth it.

Laura

Premium Member
Major Drum Corps nut here! I'd love to see that show!! I used to be in Drum Corps (Syracuse Brigadiers) - I miss it a lot!

Badger Brent

Original Poster
My wife and I went to the championships when they were held almost yearly in Madison in the later 80's. My wife played the flute and I played the trumpet. Our kids have followed our footsteps and play the same also. I to love drum and bugle corp. competiotions. Blast inspired our kids a couple years ago, and seeing them again has gottten their music vibe flowing again. My son is only in 7th grade, but is way ahead of me, as far as talent and knowledge of music. My daughter's coming along right behind him. I had to toot my own horn on my kids!!:lol:

SewIn2Disney

Ooh! I love band geeks! Aren't we the greatest breed? Lol.
Anyway, I don't know how familiar you all are with the Blast soundtrack, but I used Lemon Tech for the opening number last year in our family show for the twirlers I teach. We had girls from the ages of 5-21 doing it....it was so cute! (And fast!)
This year I want to do Color Wheel, and have each kid wearing a different color tshirt. The soundtrack is great!
(Hey if you get to toot the horns for your kids, then I get to do it too....lol!)

Captain Hank

Ah, fellow band nerds--I feel right at home :). I was actually supposed to see Blast! this past weekend, along with my roommate. However, all the sudden I got really sick and didn't want to risk it. They're coming back to Ohio in January, and I'm planning on seeing it then, though.

Badger Brent

Original Poster
Yeah, the color wheel gets kind of stuck in your head. They open the show with it and after intermission. Blue, Blue, Red, Blue, Red, Orange.... and on and on. Then they did a whole set with the color yellow. The kids color wheel idea is pretty good. I might suggest it to my daughter for her school for next year. If your a band geek, then you would know of Mike Leckrone. He's the heart and soul of Wisconsin Badger sports and the band. I got to meet to him and let him know how he inspired me to stay with band and have fun with it.

Laura

Premium Member
SewIn2Disney said:
Ooh! I love band geeks! Aren't we the greatest breed?

My band geekiness was definitely inherited. My Uncle was a horn instructor for the Blue Coats for many years, and is now the band director for one of New York's best marching bands (New Hartford). My parents met in drum corps in the 70's (father played bugle, mother was in the guard). So my very existence is rooted in drum corps! My parents joined the Syracuse Brigadiers in the 90's and I joined along with them (played pit percussion). My dad has been taking me to DCI finals since I was a little kid. I was actually thinking of taking my husband on a trip to Wisconsin next summer to see the finals - he's never seen a drum corps show except when I watch them on TV!

Oh, btw, my husband and I met in band. :lol:

SewIn2Disney

AliciaLuvzDizne said:
:lookaroun
former flaggit here
:wave:

also riffle line :D
I was a flaggit too! We didn't get to do much with rifles though, and my senior year we started sabres.....good times.
Flags are still my favorite though!

nikimsu2002

Band geeks are the greatest! Although at my school we were known as Band-Os.

I am from a very musical family too. My grandpa used to be a band director and my uncle still is one. So its definately been pushed on me and my brother. I love it though. I marched all 4 years of high school and am now the Clarinet instructor for my high school's band. Three years in a row now and most likely going back for a 4th next year. I love my job! The kids are great and its so much fun.

I've seen Blast! twice - once in Detroit and once in Cleveland. Both with my high school band program - lol! I'd love to see it again. I checked the website and saw it was coming to Flint in February, but I don't think I'll be able to go since its the same weekend as the Super Bowl and I've already been told I need to go home to work that weekend cuz we're hopefully supplying a lot of the linens for the parties that weekend.

AliciaLuvzDizne

SewIn2Disney said:
I was a flaggit too! We didn't get to do much with rifles though, and my senior year we started sabres.....good times.
Flags are still my favorite though!
i love my rifle
still

:lol:
but yeah, there's just something satisfying about making a flag sail through the air... i miss it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom