"Black box" interchangeable dark ride coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?

Tank Man

The site that this forum's moderation isn't very fond of has reported this afternoon that a "black box" attraction is rumored to come to Disney's Hollywood Studios. This would be a trackless dark ride inside a showbuilding that is all projections/screenz, and has no physical props. The name "black box" refers to the empty, blank slate the ride building becomes when not in operation. Apparently this kind of ride system could be redesigned and reprogrammed to become something new in a matter of weeks.

Given the source, and all the rumors surrounding the Studios, I'm taking this with a grain of salt. I haven't read anything on here about a new ride of this kind.
I don’t think this would happen.
If Disney were to use immersion the way they want to currently the black box attraction might not work and would feel cheap, I expect Universal to use that tech.

Brer Panther

I just thought of something. If this gets built, does this mean Disney likely won't be building any OTHER dark rides, at least until Chapek and Iger get the boot? Would they assume "why bother building a new dark ride when we can just stick it in the black box"? Disney World needs more dark rides as it is!

Tank Man

I just thought of something. If this gets built, does this mean Disney likely won't be building any OTHER dark rides, at least until Chapek and Iger get the boot? Would they assume "why bother building a new dark ride when we can just stick it in the black box"? Disney World needs more dark rides as it is!
Well maybe,
I assume that they won’t want to do that all the time as it will get old quick as screen rides were the fad in the 80’s and are frowned upon by some.
I think they might use this black box attraction for maybe IP’s they wanna test in the parks.

ppete1975

IF by that logic they build a roller coaster and say "we will only build roller coasters" or boat rides "we only will build boat rides" Disney is good about doing variety I don't see them doing the same thing again and again for the foreseeable future (minus spinners lol).
I think this could be great, and add a lot to people who go often, and allow us to see rides with properties that would never get a true ride (fox and the hound, is a great example of something that would never get a true ride but could get a temporary attraction-which could equate to new popularity in the film and merchandising)

Imagine every 6 months having a new "ride" that you know wont be there forever.. that would drive a lot of unexpected trips.

Please note im not attacking you just going off of your fear.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Oh
Didn’t know that
Well I suspect they will use it the best they can as what they have been doing recently
Presumably it would be set up as more of a C-Ticket. It wouldn't expect it to be to the same standards as Galaxy's Edge or Flight of Passage the same way that A.S.S. and Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh aren't to the same standards as Tower of Terror and Mine Train.

A simple, low key addition. Something that won't really draw crowds, but will make their day better.

ppete1975

Presumably it would be set up as more of a C-Ticket. It wouldn't expect it to be to the same standards as Galaxy's Edge or Flight of Passage the same way that A.S.S. and Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh aren't to the same standards as Tower of Terror and Mine Train.

A simple, low key addition. Something that won't really draw crowds, but will make their day better.
I figure no theming to the outside just a marquee of whats playing. But it will draw people (especially if it changes semi regularly) and gives victims customers something new to do, and also take people away from other rides. Disney needs some cheaper attractions (b's and c's) with little outside theming. This way there is more to do and keeps lines down. Im not saying super cheap like dinoland but things like most things have been in Tomorrowland. A lot of time and expense is involved when you make immersive lands like GE and pandora (lesser extent andys backyard) and while we like to be lost in lands, that's a lot of money and time for no increase in capacity.

ppete1975

Yeah,
Or remake them in VR as they have all the stuff about them
It would be cool to see them return as I never got to ride Horizons
Even if they don't have high quality footage (we are talking pre 2000's on most things we want back) with cgi and computers they could give you an experience that was like you were there.
Think toad, 20,000, the worlds fair rides, horizons, heck id be happy with a people mover through the opening in 71, if you had wings,

ppete1975

Even if they don't have high quality footage (we are talking pre 2000's on most things we want back) with cgi and computers they could give you an experience that was like you were there.
Think toad, 20,000, the worlds fair rides, horizons, heck id be happy with a people mover through the opening in 71, if you had wings,
ok the more I dream the more I want 2 of these, a retro and one for new experiences.

Tank Man

I figure no theming to the outside just a marquee of whats playing. But it will draw people (especially if it changes semi regularly) and gives victims customers something new to do, and also take people away from other rides. Disney needs some cheaper attractions (b's and c's) with little outside theming. This way there is more to do and keeps lines down. Im not saying super cheap like dinoland but things like most things have been in Tomorrowland. A lot of time and expense is involved when you make immersive lands like GE and pandora (lesser extent andys backyard) and while we like to be lost in lands, that's a lot of money and time for no increase in capacity.
I do see them having a small budget with these, yes. It would help to have another ride

Tank Man

The thing is that they have the blueprints and maybe the animatronics still or at least the plans on what they did so they could have replicated them into this “black box” attraction and if they can’t they could just use footage as you saud

ppete1975

The thing is that they have the blueprints and maybe the animatronics still or at least the plans on what they did so they could have replicated them into this “black box” attraction and if they can’t they could just use footage as you saud
IT baffles me how Disney treats their old attractions. When its time to remove them they are just bulldozed it feels. Although technology didn't really exist until recently (70s -90s film isn't all that clear, at least what Disney would have used). At this point they could record everyone of their shows in super high quality hd with sound track and have an online experience of riding a ride that no longer exists (this would blow out of the water any pov video that's out there as they would have the sound track, there would be no people in the shots, and it could be true panoramic (or even 360 for vr) views.
They should do this with every ride that's currently there (in case of damage) and especially if rides are to be removed. At least for historical purposes.

Finding a decent picture of the insides of some of the attractions before the last 10 years is hard if it even exists.

Tank Man

IT baffles me how Disney treats their old attractions. When its time to remove them they are just bulldozed it feels. Although technology didn't really exist until recently (70s -90s film isn't all that clear, at least what Disney would have used). At this point they could record everyone of their shows in super high quality hd with sound track and have an online experience of riding a ride that no longer exists (this would blow out of the water any pov video that's out there as they would have the sound track, there would be no people in the shots, and it could be true panoramic (or even 360 for vr) views.
They should do this with every ride that's currently there (in case of damage) and especially if rides are to be removed. At least for historical purposes.

Finding a decent picture of the insides of some of the attractions before the last 10 years is hard if it even exists.
They can even remake the old ones from the blueprints and remaining stuff they had in VR and I would by them

lazyboy97o

Creating digital content is not easy or cheap. More so if you want the equipment like projectors you last through a few refreshes.

Having the “blueprints” doesn’t mean much and a lot of the show sets get thrown away.

Tank Man

Creating digital content is not easy or cheap. More so if you want the equipment like projectors you last through a few refreshes.

Having the “blueprints” doesn’t mean much and a lot of the show sets get thrown away.
They might have a few parts or maybe none at all and even though they may have the details and blueprints they still could recreate it. It may be time consuming but it could make a lot of people happy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom