BK Coaster

Sketch105

Originally posted by wanabeimagineer

There is already a roller coaster themed after Kraken, its in Seaworld Orlando and is called...well Kraken.
[/QUOTE

well I feel stupid. I already knew that too..]:hammer:

tenchu

Originally posted by Chad
Not as hard as you might think...Let the first part be outside, then, when the track winds to the rear, where you can't reall see it, put it ina building..Have A 'Mock City' built on the walls of the building, nothing to elaborate, and have explosions going off on the street below..Many ideas could spring board off the 'Building in the back' idea, while you are indeed going at a high speed, simple little things are very effective..

Look at RnR, with the road signs as you go along. It all adds to the atmosphere, as opposed to just being on a green track in the open like hulk.

Legacy

Original Poster
Oh Wow Chad... what an incredable idea on how to do this ride...

I guess that's why you founded SOJI...

(I feel really insignificant now...:( )

cm1988

Nahtamagineer

Well,
How bout this....
You leave the station and start to go up the lift, the theming of the area would be mountains..And fog would create the iullusion of clouds. It would all be indoors, and the first part of the ride would be gentle, soaring around mountain peaks, dipping and diving...running into AA Grffins that are either flying or perched on cliffs....You'd hit a break station, and would look ahead and see omnious dark clouds..suddenly, the next part of the ride would be filled with lightingin striking cliffs, wind, and maybe even a bit of rain. The ride itself would also get a bit more intense, flipping and rolling, corkscrews and such as you try to stay flying...

How does that sound?
I.m.h.o., those are some great ideas. One of the challenges is that a typical out-and-back coaster gets its inertia from the first drop, and from that moment the momentum gradually drains. To experience this most dramatically, ride a typical steel, gravity coaster with your eyes shut. Not ony will you feel this dissipation of energy, you'll hear it as well.

Not to say that the story you suggest couldn't be done. There would just have to be some kind of boost mid-ride, vs. a brake station.

b.t.w., my standard disclaimer (in case it isn't otherwise obvious!). I'm not an Imagineer; don't know any Imagineers.

Legacy

Original Poster
Actually cm, you dont need a major drop in the beginning to make a fun ride. Start it off with a nice gliding section, maybe a 15 foot drop that goes right back upwards to get back to a gliding speed, may 10 mph. Then turn a corner, see the clouds, slow down, and then fall into a 40 foot swooping turn into a corkscrew. The intensity can really pick up from there. I was really impressed with Chad's idea and I think there are some awesome possibilities with it.

Chad

Thanks kicker :)
And CM is right, the majority of the power is at the begining..Buit a good example of a more INTENSE ending is the Hulk, while the begining is also VERY powerful, after you hit the brake station in the back, the rest is still extremely intense..They made up for the lack of speed and momentum by making the loops SMALLER and tighter, adding more thrill to it..This could be accomplished with the griffin..

OR To make it easier on everyone, the ride could have two lift stations, one thats not so high and that leads to a 'space mountain speed' ride, and then, as you approach the darker clouds (I also thought zues could be used here in some way, perhaps show him waking up and lifting his lighting bolts, similar to fantasia, maybe project it on some clouds) you'd hit another lift hill that would be higher, and lead to a more intense track.

Legacy

Original Poster
Two lifts are possible, but I personally feel that lifts in the middle of a ride kinda slow down the pacing a bit, and I can't say I enjoy it when that happens. There needs to be some hard-core, extensive theming on the second lift to keep the excitement level up.

Involving the lift(s)... the one thing I want are tire or LIM's pushing/pulling the train up the lift hill. The reason for this is I don't want this to be a noisy ride. Griffins are majestic creatures and the clackity-clack of a traditional chain lift just dont fit that bill. This can also increase the speed of the train at the beginning of the ride, decreasing the need for a second lift hill or boost.

I am not quite sure if you are getting at this or not, but it would be very possible to acutally launch geusts up the second lift hill as there are boosters than can be used on a hill. That way you could increase speed into the storm and then drop, corcskcrew or what not into it. I think an major increase of speed at this part of the ride is key inorder to induce the feel of being sucked out of the calm serniity and into the fierece storm.

Chad

These are both great suggestions :)

But, as for the 'clanking' any hill that is to high for the train to go up by itself will have to have the 'clanking' regardless of wheter it is a chain, or magnets, or wheels. The clanking is not from the chain, it is from a sfety mechanism that ensures that if the lift ever fails, it will prevent the car from rolling backwards...If you came up with a new, noiseless system, then it would work...Otherwise, I would suggest having the ride slow down and became pushed by wheels, slow at first as it round a mountain, and gets a glimpse of the big storm, then, gets thrusted foward horizontally and into a big loop or corkscrew(Like RNR, eliminating the lift hill.

Also, at the begging of the ride, make the queue involve lifs of somesort, so when you board the ride, you are already high up, eliminating the need of a lift during the ride. A lift would be present to take the cars from the unloading area UP to the loading area, all behind scenes, so you get a gentle ride, with no clanking,a nd with none of that obnoxious Lift time

Legacy

Original Poster
There are just too many good suggestions going around on this one to figure out what to do. I'm kinda glad my idea for a ride has kinda exploded like this... (who knew?)... and the way it is sounding, a lot of people are interested in the idea.

I wonder if this is what really Imagineering discussions are like...

Also, at the begging of the ride, make the queue involve lifs of somesort, so when you board the ride, you are already high up, eliminating the need of a lift during the ride. A lift would be present to take the cars from the unloading area UP to the loading area, all behind scenes, so you get a gentle ride, with no clanking,a nd with none of that obnoxious Lift time

The actual queue could constantly be climbing upwards inside the mountain through faux tunnels, then at one point guests could be grouped off into chambers, where doors would close behind them(this chamber would actually be an elevator to carry them father upwards) this would be toward the end of the queue, as in the chamber some rocks could slide away and there could be a gryphen, then to your surprise the gryphen greats you, "hello, my friends, don’t be frightened, I indeed have learned your language and can speak it quite well" " You see we gryphens have been observing your culture and the many ones before yours from up here high in these mountain perches, we are so glad to see that you have come in search of us, you see we get very few visitors up here and the occasional mountain climbers usually are frightened away by our appearance. But now that you have stayed we have prepared quite a treat for you, my gryphen bothers and sisters will take you lucky travelers and a tour of our mountain region, hurry along now though some of my fellow gryphen recently returned from a weather patrol and said that there were some angry looking clouds on the horizon, but don’t worry they seem to on line to miss us" Then the doors on the other side of the chamber open and you walk a little further and then board you trains

woofboy111

These are both great suggestions :)

But, as for the 'clanking' any hill that is to high for the train to go up by itself will have to have the 'clanking' regardless of wheter it is a chain, or magnets, or wheels. The clanking is not from the chain, it is from a sfety mechanism that ensures that if the lift ever fails, it will prevent the car from rolling backwards...If you came up with a new, noiseless system, then it would work...Otherwise, I would suggest having the ride slow down and became pushed by wheels, slow at first as it round a mountain, and gets a glimpse of the big storm, then, gets thrusted foward horizontally and into a big loop or corkscrew(Like RNR, eliminating the lift hill.

But if you use a launch that's uphill, it would go so fast that you would miss the clanking (listen when you're lanuching out of the Hulk)

Legacy

Original Poster
All right Figmentdream, we've now got a STORY!!!

And I was thinking, I know of two alternate lift mechanisms, but I dont know what the noise level is like on these. There is the cable lift that they use on (I think) Millinium Force and there is also a rotating lift used by Zamber-something (the people who make the Dumbo-clones)... I heard that they have a prototype Flying coaster that uses on car of four, and is small enough for carnies to use. Hmmm... a mini-flying coaster?... Fit inside a building?... and Disney already has a contract with the company?...

Shoot, ditch the Dumbos and build a themed mini-flying coaster themed to the Griffin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom