bistro not worth it

chwilson88

Original Poster
Just got back (was there 4/17 - 4/24), and wanted to quickly report on the value of Bistro de Paris's food this trip...not worth it at all. Both of us got the scallops and they were rubbery and gritty. For $40 they should've been top shelf. I know Trotsky had some issues with the quality of the beef here lately, so I wanted to also weigh in and confirm his comments about the decline in quality of the food at Bistro. To me, it seemed on part with downstairs, which makes no sense given the higher prices and claims of a more "gourmet" experience, etc. This is our second bad experience there, and thus we won't be returning.

On the other hand, Citrico's was fantastic as usual...this place is one of the most consistently great dining experiences and we'll thus keep returning. Very simple formula.

RonAnnArbor

Sorry to hear about your experience -- I eat at Bistro de Paris on every trip and have never had a single problem with my meals, including this past February. I will dine there again in June.

You do know that is also a function of how French food is prepared, right? Coquilles St. Jacques is not the same as an American scallop dish...boeuf bourguignon is different from American beef stew.

Granted, you can get a bad batch of seafood -- but then I would expect that across the board in all the parks since Disney uses the same distributors...It would go hand-in-hand that if you had a bad cut of steak at Bistro, you would probably get the same bad cut of steak at Citricos that same evening, since they come from the same shipment...two days later they could be the exact opposite.

Anyway, not trying to give a cooking class here -- but just sorry that you had a bad experience there, and I have NEVER had a bad experience at Bistro...Chefs de France downstairs, though, is also a favorite but the food is VERY different -- it's tourist-class food and americanized-french dishes to appeal to an american palate...It's hard to compare the food and wine choices upstairs with the brasserie food downstairs.

PolyTigger

Thank you for posting that, I also heard the same negative report from a friend of mine who just got back last week. I just rebooked my upcoming reservation to Citricos and cancelled Bistro.

MrsWhiffo

Tattooed Disney Geekster
Me and my husband has an amazing meal at Bistro de Paris.

It was fantastic, and I would not hesitate to rebook when we go back in February.

Not to blow my own trumpet but I am lucky enough to regularly eat at some fantastic Michelin star graded restaurants in London and If I am honest my experience at Bistro could stand up with them.

But everybody is different.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Never had a bad meal their either. I will admit, on our very first visit to Bistro, it was bar far one of the best meals I've ever had. No other meal their over the years has lived up to that first one. But they all are well worth the cost.

The food's always great, the service is top notch.

Hopefully these were just one off "bad days". We go back in the fall, and the wife and I are looking forward to another great meal at Bistro this year.

Bon appetite

chwilson88

Original Poster
No argument here - Bistro WAS wonderful. You mentioned February - how was your meal?

Sandy and I saw degradation around November 2010 - if you went in February 2011? We could use your data. As of Nov 2010 - we saw issues. What is your data? Has the situation changed?

We went in April 2011, and that's when we were served rubbery, gritty scallops. No excuse for that. I purposely didn't order the tenderloin since I had seen your post previously about the stringy meat, so I saved my steak meal for other places where I was more confident in the quality.

flavious27

Just got back (was there 4/17 - 4/24), and wanted to quickly report on the value of Bistro de Paris's food this trip...not worth it at all. Both of us got the scallops and they were rubbery and gritty. For $40 they should've been top shelf. I know Trotsky had some issues with the quality of the beef here lately, so I wanted to also weigh in and confirm his comments about the decline in quality of the food at Bistro. To me, it seemed on part with downstairs, which makes no sense given the higher prices and claims of a more "gourmet" experience, etc. This is our second bad experience there, and thus we won't be returning.

On the other hand, Citrico's was fantastic as usual...this place is one of the most consistently great dining experiences and we'll thus keep returning. Very simple formula.

I would have sent them back. Rubbery scallops are overcooked, grainy scallops are scallops that were not properly cleaned and prepared.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom