Birthdays in WDW

victoryyy

Hi,

We will be celebrating my wifes birthday on Oct 5, and both daughters, turning ages 3 and 5 on Oct 6 and Oct 10 at Disney World. We know that they will get buttons to wear which will bring some special treatment, our question is about birthday etiquette.

Should the buttons be only worn on the exact birthday ot can then be worn through out the trip? We are thinking the 3 year old will never want to take it off.

Are there any other birthday events/secrets/suggestions we should know about?

TheMouseFan

As an adult, I only plan to wear mine on my actual birthday, but last year we took my 4 yo and he wore his button the whole week (and it wasn't even really his birthday yet!!). He got a cupcake or similar dessert at all of our TS meals and everyone made a big deal about telling him Happy Birthday and asking how old he was,etc. He loved it! Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Our daughter will celebrate her 6th birthday during our upcoming Disney World trip. We're going to a special meal of her choice that day and I will note it on that day's dining reservations (and have her wear the button that day). That will be the only day, though. We don't want to spend the entire week acting like it's her birthday when it isn't: I'm sure her older brother (whose birthday will be months away) would feel jealous and left out if she was getting extra attention for the entire vacation. Plus, I'd feel dishonest having her "celebrate" her birthday on days that were not her birthday. I'm sure that those extra little desserts don't cost Disney more than a few pennies, and the cast members' congratulations don't do any harm, but "milk things for all they're worth even if you have to lie to do it" is not a lesson I want to teach my kids.

That being said, I'm sure there are those who will say that if the purpose of the entire trip is to celebrate someone's birthday (and since they're paying a fortune to do it), then they should be entitled to wear their celebration button the entire time, and to accept the congratulations and free desserts that go with it. To each his own. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

I never go to WDW in December when my birthday is since it is too close to Christmas so I am definitely celebrating my bday during our November trip! I have never celebrated in Disney before so I am going to wear it the whole time... not because I am expecting anything, but because I am a huge dis nerd and I love the idea of wearing it.

It doesn't have to be your actual birthday to wear or get the buttons. A lot of people don't travel during their actual birthday, but want to celebrate it. Disney is very good with the buttons! :D

Upvote 0

LostPrincessKarleigh

Last year, I went to WDW with my DBF. It was his gift to me for my birthday and I rocked that birthday pin for a week straight. :D this year we are going for his birthday so I'm assuming he will also wear his pin the whole time we are there. :p

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

When we've celebrated for the kids, we've had them wear their buttons the entire trip. We're celebrating mine and my mom's at WDW next week and I fully intend to sport my button for the bulk of the trip.

You might also want to call and make sure the bday is noted on your ADRs. Not every place will do something, but it's not uncommon to get a cupcake and maybe an autographed card at a character meal. I try not to expect these things or really any other bday acknowledgement ...i.e. so we can just be pleasantly surprised if something nice or cool happens. We also cover a number of things on our own just to ensure it's a special time/day. i.e. special outfits, experiences, cake, etc.

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

They should both wear them the whole time that's what there for! Not every place will give them something extra but some will, but that will get Birthday wishes from everyone even other guests! You can even wear I'm Celebrating Buttons because you are celebrating their birthdays!

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

Our daughter will celebrate her 6th birthday during our upcoming Disney World trip. We're going to a special meal of her choice that day and I will note it on that day's dining reservations (and have her wear the button that day). That will be the only day, though. We don't want to spend the entire week acting like it's her birthday when it isn't: I'm sure her older brother (whose birthday will be months away) would feel jealous and left out if she was getting extra attention for the entire vacation. Plus, I'd feel dishonest having her "celebrate" her birthday on days that were not her birthday. I'm sure that those extra little desserts don't cost Disney more than a few pennies, and the cast members' congratulations don't do any harm, but "milk things for all they're worth even if you have to lie to do it" is not a lesson I want to teach my kids.

That being said, I'm sure there are those who will say that if the purpose of the entire trip is to celebrate someone's birthday (and since they're paying a fortune to do it), then they should be entitled to wear their celebration button the entire time, and to accept the congratulations and free desserts that go with it. To each his own. :)

She should wear it all week! Her older brother can wear a I'm Celebrating button to help her celebrate!

Upvote 0

diznyboyz

Hi,

We will be celebrating my wifes birthday on Oct 5, and both daughters, turning ages 3 and 5 on Oct 6 and Oct 10 at Disney World. We know that they will get buttons to wear which will bring some special treatment, our question is about birthday etiquette.

Should the buttons be only worn on the exact birthday ot can then be worn through out the trip? We are thinking the 3 year old will never want to take it off.

Are there any other birthday events/secrets/suggestions we should know about?

Upvote 0

diznyboyz

I have two DSs with each a birthday two weeks apart. They are 17 and 9 right now. My 17 year old is autistic and loves his button. He also has an autistic button he wears and is proud to put these buttons on everyday (autism causes him to get into a routine that is hard for him to change). However, my 9 year old may wear it a couple of days and then give up the idea. And we are not there exactly on their birthdays but they enjoy getting birthday wishes from the cast members. My 15 year old also has worn buttons for principal's list (so we don't leave him out). Have a good trip!:joyfull:

Upvote 0

75disney

I am celebrating my 40th birthday at Disney in Nov. even though it was back in March. We couldn't go then due to the kids' school schedule and we are celebrating both my birthday and my day's 70th birthday (he turns 70 in Jan.) since it is the only time that we all will be together to celebrate. I am picking one special meal and calling it my bday meal. We are celebrating my dad's at CM. I am not sure if I will get a button because I feel kind of weird since it was so long ago. But I am definitely getting one for my dad. The grandkids will think that it is awesome and my dad can be a real ham at times! He'll only wear it for that day though.

Upvote 0

luv

You may or may not get special treatment. If you want to guarantee something special, book it!

You can wear the buttons 365 days a year!

Upvote 0

PrincessMia

I celebrated my 40th birthday a couple of weeks ago, and DD turns 9 on the trip. I may not wear the button but I'm going to let her wear it as much of the trip as she wants. I totally respect anyone's decision but for the money we're spending on this special, surprise trip- I'm not going to feel bad about wearing the button and letting Disney help me/us celebrate! Yippee!

Upvote 0

Aurora1

I've celebrated my birthday twice at Disney... both times wearing my pin proudly all week while I was there! For me, it's not for getting the extra happy birthdays or free items, but rather that I'm so excited to get to spend my birthday at my favorite place on earth! I can never pick which park to actually be at for my "real birthday" so I wear it to all of them when I'm there!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom