Birthday cake or cupcakes?

margybear

Original Poster
Hey everyone,

My boyfriend and I are going to WDW in September (I know it's a long way off). Basically I wanted to celebrate my birthday there, and my boyfriend suggested getting a birthday cake and arranging to have it at restaurant (Since we're doing CRT on the final night, it seemed ideal). The thing is, it's just me and him- is it really worth getting a birthday cake? Seeing some of the posts on the forums, the cakes are pretty big (and expensive)! Even the floral and gifts cakes are quite big (serving 6). We'd definitely keep it in the mini fridge and eat it over a couple of days, but would it be better and easier to get a fancy cupcake? Is it possible to get a smaller cake option or is a serving size of 6 the minimum? I know the cakes look beautiful and delicious, but I'm concerned that with 3 meals a day it may be a bit too much!

margybear

Original Poster
Have you looked at the mini-cakes? They're really small, but cute. We got one made for our daughter for her 4th birthday, Ariel themed. You could easily finish that and not have to deal with storing it. If you check out this thread there's tons of photos of them.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wdwmagic-takes-the-cake-the-official-cake-talk.863023/
I hadn't seen the mini cakes, but they look soooo good! I'll definitely tell my BF about them! Thanks so much! :)

gobstoper27

Hey everyone,

My boyfriend and I are going to WDW in September (I know it's a long way off). Basically I wanted to celebrate my birthday there, and my boyfriend suggested getting a birthday cake and arranging to have it at restaurant (Since we're doing CRT on the final night, it seemed ideal). The thing is, it's just me and him- is it really worth getting a birthday cake? Seeing some of the posts on the forums, the cakes are pretty big (and expensive)! Even the floral and gifts cakes are quite big (serving 6). We'd definitely keep it in the mini fridge and eat it over a couple of days, but would it be better and easier to get a fancy cupcake? Is it possible to get a smaller cake option or is a serving size of 6 the minimum? I know the cakes look beautiful and delicious, but I'm concerned that with 3 meals a day it may be a bit too much!
Im going for my birthday in September to!! I really want a cake as it's my 30th but I may just settle for a fancy cupcake as we fly home the next morning. Sorry I didn't really answer your question, I just got excited because I saw another September bday being celebrated @ Disney ;)

71dsp

Mini-cakes are awesome! We did one for our son's 10th BD. We had it delivered to CG. It came out fantastic and was perfect for the 3 of us. I can post pictures if you like.

HouCuseChickie

I would highly recommend a mini cake or mini wedding cake. You can check out the Cake Talk thread for more info on what's available where. They don't usually do custom cupcakes without a hefty upcharge (GF once quoted $250 for a teacup cupcake), so this is your best option for both portioning and cost.

margybear

Original Poster
Mini-cakes are awesome! We did one for our son's 10th BD. We had it delivered to CG. It came out fantastic and was perfect for the 3 of us. I can post pictures if you like.

I'd love to see more pics! The ones I've seen look amazing! To be honest, I'd rather not pay $250 for one, but it is my boyfriend paying (so $60 is no skin off my nose, ha!) I do think the mini cake is the option we're going to go for!

Im going for my birthday in September to!! I really want a cake as it's my 30th but I may just settle for a fancy cupcake as we fly home the next morning. Sorry I didn't really answer your question, I just got excited because I saw another September bday being celebrated @ Disney ;)
My birthday isn't even in September! It's the first week of October, but my University starts back at the end of September (so I'm already missing a week). I figure it's one week out, so no one's going to mind! :p

71dsp

image.jpeg

I found my post from way back! If you search for "cake" and my screen name (71dsp), you can find it in the cake thread. Cost was indeed $65. Here's the pic!

I'd love to see more pics! The ones I've seen look amazing! To be honest, I'd rather not pay $250 for one, but it is my boyfriend paying (so $60 is no skin off my nose, ha!) I do think the mini cake is the option we're going to go for!

Nikkiminxy

I'm going for my birthday in September too!! 37 for me, lol!

The smaller cake option detailed here just helped us decide what we are doing!!

MegRuss626

Let's throw in another September birthday being celebrated down there! And another 30th at that!! Our trip is for the year of big birthdays...4 out of the 7 of us going!! My MIL turned 60 this past February, my husband turns 30 the end of August, I turn 30 the middle of September, and our nephew turns 1 a couple days later!! I even ordered 30th birthday ears off of Etsy!!

gobstoper27

Let's throw in another September birthday being celebrated down there! And another 30th at that!! Our trip is for the year of big birthdays...4 out of the 7 of us going!! My MIL turned 60 this past February, my husband turns 30 the end of August, I turn 30 the middle of September, and our nephew turns 1 a couple days later!! I even ordered 30th birthday ears off of Etsy!!
Whoop whoop!!!
Good Idea!!! I May have to check out the 30th Mickey ears on etsy!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom