Birnbaum's WDW 2007 Guide

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
I just recently got the new Birnbaum book for WDW and low and behold it has everything that was Mentioned for YOMAD. Which is no surprise. Although it still Shows that CoP is not Mentioned in Tommorowland nor in the map..However WoL & the Attractions are still listed on Epcot. Also they did give recognition of the 25th year of Epcot on the Epcot Chapter which I thought was nice..nothing too elaborate. All in all it's still a pretty darn good bit of reading!

metscool

I notice the book on Saturday when I was going through the shops on Main Street after the parade. I was so close to getting the book but didn't.

cbmartin

i was going to get it, but after looking at it, it is almost exactly the same as last year, even the coupons are the same, but with a different year. I think they should get some new pictures for each year, the covers different and things about everest, nemo. ill wait till next year

KrazyKowboy

I just ordered the Unofficial Guide to WDW 2007 from Amazon.com and can't wait for it to get here. If you want a comprehensive critical evaluation of WDW and everything near it, the Unofficial Guide beats Birnbaum's hands down !
I do use both in planning our vacations, but there's just so much more information in the Unofficial Guide.

browniebee

I didn't get the 2006 Birnbaum book but the 2005 one didnt have CoP in it either...i never understand why..its still there and running.

Stitch69

i guess i'llwait until next year edition too. If iy is the same as before with a different cover. I'll save the money for stuff at the park.

PrincessAimee

I got Birnbaum's book last week and am loving it. It definitely takes me there when I can't physically be there. One thing I noticed when looking at the restaurants is that the Concourse Steakhouse wasn't listed at the Contemporary Resort. I also bought Birnbaum's Dining guide and it wasn't in there either. However it does list the Food & Fun Center's location as being right next to Chef Mickey's, where the Concourse used to be. I emailed WDW Resort and got a pretty generic answer that they have no knowledge of that and that I should call the WDW Dining to find out. Haven't had a chance to do it yet but I guess we'll find out when we go.

Tara Stone

I just ordered the Unofficial Guide to WDW 2007 from Amazon.com and can't wait for it to get here. If you want a comprehensive critical evaluation of WDW and everything near it, the Unofficial Guide beats Birnbaum's hands down !
I do use both in planning our vacations, but there's just so much more information in the Unofficial Guide.

I love this one!!!! my copy is worn and tattered! I also love the passporter!

Tara Stone

I got Birnbaum's book last week and am loving it. It definitely takes me there when I can't physically be there. One thing I noticed when looking at the restaurants is that the Concourse Steakhouse wasn't listed at the Contemporary Resort. I also bought Birnbaum's Dining guide and it wasn't in there either. However it does list the Food & Fun Center's location as being right next to Chef Mickey's, where the Concourse used to be. I emailed WDW Resort and got a pretty generic answer that they have no knowledge of that and that I should call the WDW Dining to find out. Haven't had a chance to do it yet but I guess we'll find out when we go.

How strange. Concourse was there as of 9/24/06 when we were at the Contemp for breakfast at Chef Mickeys

BeachClubVillas

Birnbaum is pretty well-known for getting stuff wrong. Last year's edition said that Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club closed to make way for the Beach Club Marketplace. In reality, the Marketplace took over part of the gift shop, and Beaches and Cream is still there in the same spot, as popular as ever. I still buy Birnbaum every year though. :)

I got last years edition a few years back, as the last version we had was 2003. I dont see much point in picking up the 2007 edition after getting the 2006 myself. Still highly suggested for anyone whos never read it before or whos last editon was 2003-2004.

Even if they make errors they are the most indepth. I dont know any other hoilday guide to WDW that mentions even little extras like the tours and things you can do for people and stuff. Plus they have some really good info on the rides

nibblesandbits

i guess i'llwait until next year edition too. If iy is the same as before with a different cover. I'll save the money for stuff at the park.
They don't often change the books unless something major happens. Like getting a new ticket system that outdates the old system...or adding a new ride. But still, they only update that part of the book. They never fully re-do the entire book. It's usually the same year after year in most cases anyway. (I still like to get it though.)

I used the Birnbaum's book for my visit last year and found it to be OK. Now for my visit in December I got the 2007 version of the Unofficial Guide and I love every page of it. I have only had the book a month and it looks like its 10 years old. I bet I have read every page of it twice.

What I found most intresting about the unofficial guide is the in-depth reviews of all the things at Universal, I have only been there once a long time ago, and may go again this year.

Eventhough I am a self proclaimed "Disney Geek", and I knew 90% of all the infomation in the book, its great to read when you cannot be there.

the-reason14

They seem to print them kinda early. But thats cool, I may get one, for this weekend Im on my way to WDW, only a few hours until take off. Im ready.:animwink: :D :animwink: :cool: :sohappy:

obsessedw/wdw

A waiter at the Concourse Steakhouse told me last year that the Concourse Steakhouse was going to leave, and the Food and Fun Center was going to go in its place. A new resteraunt would replace the old Food and Fun Center downstairs. He said that this would take place when all of the renovations to the rooms were done.

I always enjoy watching the monorails while getting lunch in-between Magic Kingdom fun.

KaliSplash

As I ranted recently in another thread on this topic, the Birnbaum quality has gone down considerably in recent years. They obviously have a set number of pages (256?) and as things are added to the parks, they just cut down on how much they write about older attractions. Thus the Carosel of Progress hasn't been listed in several years, nor was Timekeeper, for instance. And the details on the rides were trimmed as other features were added.

In addition, particularly since 9/11 as Disney has changed things rather rapidly, Birnbaum has taken to describing things in the past perfect tense : This restaurant HAS FEATURED prime rib and chicken, etc., instead of this restaurant features prime rib and chicken. It's like they are too lazy to check. I realize Disney has been changing things more rapidly in recent years, but the use of vague terms to describe things makes it appear they haven't been to the park lately.

As for the Unofficial Guide, it is much more comprehensive, but is darn sure that it's going to say something bad about every single attraction and hotel and restaurant in the place. I suppose this is to cover themselves, but it gives the book a negative tone.

And yes, I know Disney is not perfect and is not what it used to be. But the negative things included about everything gives the book a negative tone.

nibblesandbits

As I ranted recently in another thread on this topic, the Birnbaum quality has gone down considerably in recent years. They obviously have a set number of pages (256?) and as things are added to the parks, they just cut down on how much they write about older attractions. Thus the Carosel of Progress hasn't been listed in several years, nor was Timekeeper, for instance. And the details on the rides were trimmed as other features were added.

In addition, particularly since 9/11 as Disney has changed things rather rapidly, Birnbaum has taken to describing things in the past perfect tense : This restaurant HAS FEATURED prime rib and chicken, etc., instead of this restaurant features prime rib and chicken. It's like they are too lazy to check. I realize Disney has been changing things more rapidly in recent years, but the use of vague terms to describe things makes it appear they haven't been to the park lately.

As for the Unofficial Guide, it is much more comprehensive, but is darn sure that it's going to say something bad about every single attraction and hotel and restaurant in the place. I suppose this is to cover themselves, but it gives the book a negative tone.

And yes, I know Disney is not perfect and is not what it used to be. But the negative things included about everything gives the book a negative tone.
I don't know if it gives it a negative tone...maybe a more truthful one. So that people remember that Disney isn't perfect and that yes...there could possibly be things that disappoint.

lentesta

Premium Member
Thanks for reading the book!

We certainly don't complain that much - we're getting soft in our old age! :p

And to the extent that we do criticize something, all I can say is that we call 'em like we see 'em. I doubt seriously that our evaluations vary that much from our readers' collective experience.

Len

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom