Biggest deal and biggest rip off

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
For research purposes on a school project (persuasive essay), I'd like to ask you guys something!

What is the best deal that Disney offers throughout the resort? It could be a free perk, or it could be a discount. Next, what is the biggest "rip off" throughout the resort?

I'm thinking that the best deal they have is the free transportation via boats, monorails, and busses. I believe the biggest rip off is photopass. Because can't you honestly just ask the photographers to take pictures with your own camera?

SeanWM48

oh boy. good questions.

deal - i wouldn't consider the transportation a deal; you are paying for it within the price of your resort. in my opinion the best "deal" to be had is during christmas or halloween season. you get a ticket to the 'not so scary' halloween party and you have access to the whole park. you can get in as early as 4pm and, as long as you're willing to stay up late, you can do basically anything you would have done during the day at a very reduced price vs the single-day pass.

biggest rip - some of the 'dessert parties' don't seem to be worth the extra money. i've never tried one though so maybe i'm way off base. paying 50 bucks per adult ($30 for kids) for dessert and preferred seating at the fireworks just doesn't add up IMO.

Another rip - paying full price for Hollywood Studios right now does not make sense to me. far too many closings and too much construction. it will be the hot park in a couple years but right now i would not go unless i had a hopper and wanted to see a show or have dinner there real quick.

DisneyJoe

I believe the biggest rip off is photopass. Because can't you honestly just ask the photographers to take pictures with your own camera?

Good photopass photographers will work with you and sometimes take 4 to 12 or more posed shots, and also pose you for the magic shots. Even a poor photopass photographer will take a few shots with their camera.

Whenever I ask another guest or a photopass photographer to take a photo with my own camera or phone, they take 1 maybe 2 shots and you're done.

Chef Mickey

Photopass isn't as bad of a deal as you're making it sound.

The pictures they take are going to be infinitely better than your iPhone and if you've done any professional pictures, you'll understand how expensive photography is in the real world.

Last edited:

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I think one of the best deals at Disney is that fastpass is free, considering that Universal's express pass (I think that's what it's called?) is quite costly. I understand that fastpass could be considered part of your admission cost at Disney, but Universal's ticket prices are similar and their express pass costs $35.

One of Disney's biggest ripoffs to me are the squeeze breeze bottles. I'm not sure what price they're up to now, but when I worked there two years ago they were 17 dollars and they break constantly. You could easily get the same product at Walmart for much, much cheaper.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Photopass isn't as bad of a deal as you're making it sound.

The pictures they take are going to be infinitely better than your iPhone and if you've done any professional pictures, you'll understand how expansive photography is in the real world.
Good photopass photographers will work with you and sometimes take 4 to 12 or more posed shots, and also pose you for the magic shots. Even a poor photopass photographer will take a few shots with their camera.

Whenever I ask another guest or a photopass photographer to take a photo with my own camera or phone, they take 1 maybe 2 shots and you're done.

I guess it depends what you want out of your trip. Personally, for me, an iPhone picture is just fine. The photopass photographer took 5 to 6 pictures with me and Jessie at Disneyland and got some pretty neat shots like doing the fist bump/explosion (my profile pic). Chewbacca came up to my iPhone as I was recording him another time as well.

So I've never seen the need to fork up the money for pictures just because of their quality. But that's just me. :)

mousehockey37

OP, this is gonna be an interesting thread, hopefully you'll be able to keep it on track. That said...

Best Deal - Park Hopper. You do pay for it, but for $69/ticket you have the ability to go between all 4 parks on property. (Note: I remember the hopper being $64, so I'm not sure when that went up but with Disney, it's not a surprise).

Biggest "Rip off" - No roaming characters. In the advertisements, they don't show you the Great Goofini M&G, they show you a little girl running to Goofy on the grass. So I could see for someone new visiting that they'd see this as a rip off that they can't just "bump into" a character but that they have to get in a queue line or even have a FP+ to meet characters.

Another big "Rip off" - Prices of souvenirs. Yes, I know that's how they make money, but the plastic monorails don't need to cost $89.95...

These are just my opinions for the OP's request.

Cosmic Commando

A lot of the discounts depend on how you use them. If I wanted to book a round-trip shuttle van or town car from MCO to Bonnet Creek through Mears, it would cost at least $150 for a family of four (I did a quickie search online just now, and it was ~$170). An equivalent service is "free" with DME with even a one-night stay at the All-Stars, so the discount could essentially be worth more than the hotel room is worth. Most people wouldn't have occasion to use DME that way, though.

For my family, free dining at Pop Century last November was a mind-blowingly good deal. If you're doing a solo trip at the Poly, though, it's probably not the greatest discount.

patch553

biggest deal as a Disney resort guess id say extra magic hours,
ripoff at the moment would be having to pay full price for Hollywood studios:banghead:

DManRightHere

For research purposes on a school project (persuasive essay), I'd like to ask you guys something!

What is the best deal that Disney offers throughout the resort? It could be a free perk, or it could be a discount. Next, what is the biggest "rip off" throughout the resort?

I'm thinking that the best deal they have is the free transportation via boats, monorails, and busses. I believe the biggest rip off is photopass. Because can't you honestly just ask the photographers to take pictures with your own camera?

Best deal. Fastpass

Rip off. Ticketed events.

Chef Mickey

Best deal. Fastpass

Rip off. Ticketed events.
I think it depends on what you value. I value the extra park time I get with a Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party entry because you get lighter crowds from 7pm to midnight.

Even the Fantasmic! dinner package is worth it, because you do get dinner plus guaranteed decent seating for one of the better shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom