Big Thunder... (my 2 cents)

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Okay, you would think that after the first accident, personnel and procedures would have been looked at from top to bottom. You would think that if BTMRR's maintainance staff over at DLR would have been terminated had there been a second accident, or at least the staff would have been more cautious in everything they do because management is putting the fear of God into them. But none of those are true.

A third accident within months... Is Disney keeping the same people as their maintainance staff? All of them need to be terminated. The ride should be closed. A thorough review of ride safety should be done...

Then, Disney should fly the folks from Florida's BTRRM over to California to train the new west coast crew!

Jajo

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Disney can not afford this bad publicity. I would guess that there are media outlets that love to over emphasize things like this so it is terrible when Disney gives them ammo. I'm sure closing down the attraction is not needed but they MUST ensure that even small issues are completely avoided.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
BriJul said:
I read in todays NY Post that the ride is being shut down for at least the next two weeks.

Just shutting down the ride isn't good enough. They need new safety procedure policies and a new staff. DLR has been running down their rides as a result from penny pinching policies of when Paul Pressler was their President. That's the real reason why they are rebuilding their Space Mountain... even though their version is newer than WDW's, it was in such poor shape because of penny pinching policies that it was a major accident waiting to happen, so Disney decided to close it and rebuild it. When I was there several months ago, the only "Mountain" that was open was Matterhorn, and let me tell you the tracks were in such poor shape that after each track section that you pass through feels like it is trying desperately to throw your cars off.

Hey, does anyone know how many trains DLR's BTMRR have left?

TnkrBelPixiDust

I hope this hasnt been covered or anything but I have a question.. do they know what's causing these accidents???? I mean 1 yea maybe an accident but 2.. kinda seems like someone/something isnt doing their job. :)

TnkrBelPixiDust

Wow... :eek: I dont know if they should close down BTMRR permantly however I do think they should do what's safest for their guest.. and if that would be it.. by all means do what you have to do!! I mean isnt saftey their #1 priortiy!?? :veryconfu

WDWScottieBoy

tigsmom said:
One enthusiast's website actually asked the unthinkable: "Should Big Thunder Mountain remain permanently closed?"

For some reason I doubt they are talking about our site, maybe they are and I'm wrong. I've got a question, has anyone ever seen this site posted in the newspaper or seen anywhere else (besides other sites getting people to read certain topics on here). I've always wanted to know what media has mentioned our family. :confused:

TnkrBelPixiDust

Yay... that would be neat.. but would it ever happen.. I can see it now.. WDWScottieBoy and TnkrBelPixiDust have to say.... lol... its a neat idea though!!!

figmentfan

My take on Thunder Mountain and Disneyland.

WDW brings so much more revenue and sales that WDW does not need to pinch every penny, so they have more to spend on safety and maintenance. DL does not have the same type of revenue that WDW has. So, something has to take a backseat. But it seems that almost everything at DL is taking a backseat. Safety, maintenance, popular attractions? What cause this downward sprill of DL? Could it be California Adventure?

WDWScottieBoy

At least DL has a lot of the original rides. They might not have the revenue at their park, but since its the WDC, doesn't that mean it would be put all together? Why would they keep the WDW money at WDW and the DL money at DL? Maybe they do, but from a business point-of-view, they should use all money around each park. If a ride needs more attention, due to mechanical errors, it should get that attention. Just because the park might not have as much money as MK at WDW, does that mean they should get the short end of the stick. I have a feeling that since their version is older, it might be prone to those accidents. Maybe both versions are the same and one is just having a little more difficulty operating.

StevenT

They need to really to a really good inspection and refurbishment on that whole ride. Maybe even do what they did to Space Mountain. There is absolutley no reason for 3 accidents in a period of months. It isn't common to hear about roller coaster accidents. Coasters are rather safe systems so when one fails 3 times in less than a year then you know it's time for an extensive rehab, or even replacement.

ToTBellHop

Maybe if they hurried and were planning on keeping the same exact track layout and theming, they could replace the entire track in time for the 50th. Six Flags parks build giant coasters in 6 months, so Disney could do that in a year. I would want them to keep the theming exactly as it is right now, just a new track.

AEfx

tigsmom said:
Who knows what is going on...An article from the LA Times.

Thanks very much for posting that, tigsmom. I've been seeing links to it all day, but I refuse to "reigster" with a newspaper to read their stories - I get enough spam as it is. :)

So thanks for pasting it here! Knew I could count on you guys. :)

AEfx

yensidtlaw1969

I think that Disney should tear down Big Thunder at Disneyland and rebuild it from the ground up the EXACT way they did for WDW. Same track, same look, same way it was built. They should be so alike that they could switch them overnight (I know it's impossible, but I'm trying to prove a point) and nobody who didn't know about it could tell. Nothing seems to go wrong at WDW. If every last little detail is the same I don't see how there could be any problem.

ToTBellHop

yensidtlaw1969 said:
I think that Disney should tear down Big Thunder at Disneyland and rebuild it from the ground up the EXACT way they did for WDW. Same track, same look, same way it was built. They should be so alike that they could switch them overnight (I know it's impossible, but I'm trying to prove a point) and nobody who didn't know about it could tell. Nothing seems to go wrong at WDW. If every last little detail is the same I don't see how there could be any problem.
I'm guessing like most things at WDW, its Big Thunder is too big to fit into Disneyland. Nothing needs to change at DL's mountain other than an upgrading of the track. It's not the layout that is dangerous, just old ride mechanisms that need to be replaced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom