Big problems with 2008 DDP

AMartin767

Original Poster
The new DDP has me concerned in many ways:
The following quote is taken from the 2008 DDP brochure:

Gratuities are not included unless otherwise indicated. [/B]An 18% gratuity will be added automatically for parties of 6 or more. A gratuity may also be added automatically for ordered items that are not included in the Disney Dining Plan (e.g. alcoholic beverages)."

They offer Alchol as the example here but what does "may" mean in this statement? If I order an appetizer (not technically part of the DDP either) in addition to my DDP entree does this mean that I will be charged 18% gratuity automatically on just the appetizer? That would be absurd! Also, an automatic charge of 18% on alcohol? Does this happen if I just go in and order a beer without using the DDP just paying cash? If not, then why does having the DDP qualify me for an automatic %18 gratuity?

The other problem here is that when you order using the DDP, you will undoubtedly be "asked" if you wish to provide a gratuity. This is not so unusual nor particularly unreasonable but now they will be tacking this onto your card as a charge... OR you will have to produce ANOTHER card OR pull out cash to cover the gratuity. What a pain in the you know where! Part of the beauty of the current plan is you pay one price up front with your package and you don't have to plan for any other issues around food.

I have'nt averaged out the entree prices yet, but I figure that you will be paying around $5 to $7 extra in gratuity for every table service meal you have under the new plan. This means that your 37.99 per night cost is effectively $42.99 per night. More than the current plan and you get less (no appetizer) along with hassle of determing the gratuity amount and how you plan to pay it. Hey Disney, why not just raise the price to 40.99 per night, absorb the other $3.00 of the gratuity and leave the complication out of the whole process. It's not like i'm being "tricked" into paying the gratuity without being able to work out the math.

There is one final thing to keep in mind in all this. If I budget $43 dollars per night/day as my budget for food, I can spend that money ANYWHERE, not just on the list of places that Disney says I can spend it. Not that the DDP listing is limited but I feel that if I have to cover that much money anyway, I might as well have the full range of choices, avoid the hassle and pay the gratuity as I see fit not as Disney tells me to. Can you eat as well on your own budget of $43 per day? Maybe not, but the difference is not that great. Unless you eat the more expensive entrees on the menu at every place you go, I argue that you can match the DDP yourself on your own budget and on your terms... not Disney's.

Lucky

The new DDP has me concerned in many ways:
The following quote is taken from the 2008 DDP brochure:

Gratuities are not included unless otherwise indicated. [/b]An 18% gratuity will be added automatically for parties of 6 or more. A gratuity may also be added automatically for ordered items that are not included in the Disney Dining Plan (e.g. alcoholic beverages)."

They offer Alchol as the example here but what does "may" mean in this statement? If I order an appetizer (not technically part of the DDP either) in addition to my DDP entree does this mean that I will be charged 18% gratuity automatically on just the appetizer? That would be absurd! Also, an automatic charge of 18% on alcohol? Does this happen if I just go in and order a beer without using the DDP just paying cash? If not, then why does having the DDP qualify me for an automatic %18 gratuity?

The other problem here is that when you order using the DDP, you will undoubtedly be "asked" if you wish to provide a gratuity. This is not so unusual nor particularly unreasonable but now they will be tacking this onto your card as a charge... OR you will have to produce ANOTHER card OR pull out cash to cover the gratuity. What a pain in the you know where! Part of the beauty of the current plan is you pay one price up front with your package and you don't have to plan for any other issues around food.

I have'nt averaged out the entree prices yet, but I figure that you will be paying around $5 to $7 extra in gratuity for every table service meal you have under the new plan. This means that your 37.99 per night cost is effectively $42.99 per night. More than the current plan and you get less (no appetizer) along with hassle of determing the gratuity amount and how you plan to pay it. Hey Disney, why not just raise the price to 40.99 per night, absorb the other $3.00 of the gratuity and leave the complication out of the whole process. It's not like i'm being "tricked" into paying the gratuity without being able to work out the math.

There is one final thing to keep in mind in all this. If I budget $43 dollars per night/day as my budget for food, I can spend that money ANYWHERE, not just on the list of places that Disney says I can spend it. Not that the DDP listing is limited but I feel that if I have to cover that much money anyway, I might as well have the full range of choices, avoid the hassle and pay the gratuity as I see fit not as Disney tells me to. Can you eat as well on your own budget of $43 per day? Maybe not, but the difference is not that great. Unless you eat the more expensive entrees on the menu at every place you go, I argue that you can match the DDP yourself on your own budget and on your terms... not Disney's.
Under the current plan you are automatically charged 18% on any items that are not covered. In 2008, that will happen only if you're a party of 6 or more and are automatically charged 18% on the DDP-covered items.

Now, and in 2008, if you just order a beer there is no 18% tip added. They don't even know if you're on the DDP if that's all you order.

Yes, the new plan will be less convenient, because even if you order only items covered under the plan, you'll still have to pay the tip with cash, credit or charge to your room account.

Yes, the changes in effect represent a large percentage increase in price, although they've made a token effort to disguise it. Apparently they'd rather sell fewer DDPs but at a higher profit margin.

AMartin767

Original Poster
So, based on this, it is going to be much better to budget for the food myself and forget the DDP. Then the 18% and hassle goes away.

Mystic

Personally I'd rather take the new 2008 DDP minus the 18% tip as this means I can tip my server accordingly. There were a few times last year where we had rather crappy service and yet the server still got the automatic 18% tip simply by virtue of the fact that we were on the dining plan. At least under the new plan if you're a server and you give crappy service you can expect to get an equally crappy tip.

gram1554

Yes they can expect a crappy tip unless you have more than 6 people.
We are going next year and will have 7 with the kids.

Lucky

Personally I'd rather take the new 2008 DDP minus the 18% tip as this means I can tip my server accordingly. There were a few times last year where we had rather crappy service and yet the server still got the automatic 18% tip simply by virtue of the fact that we were on the dining plan. At least under the new plan if you're a server and you give crappy service you can expect to get an equally crappy tip.
I think most guests will tip at least 15% except for service that is really, really crappy. And even if guests did consistently punish poor service and reward good service, there are many factors besides prospective tips that determine job performance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom