News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

HMF

Random thought, but will they use the Future World symbols on a large scale again? It'd be nice to see each pavilion represented by a logo (82 version or not) again. Especially since bold, flat lettering and logos are a big thing nowadays (see the Google Play Store, Android, parts of iOS, and especially Windows 10). I think it could look nice with a new look, especially the "Tron" version.
That is a really good question. It looked like they were going back in that direction back in 2007 with Spaceship Earth and to a lesser degree with Test Track in 2012. However there has been no consistency much like everything else involving Epcot since 1994.

trainplane3

That is a really good question. It looked like they were going back in that direction back in 2007 with Spaceship Earth and to a lesser degree with Test Track in 2012. However there has been no consistency much like everything else involving Epcot since 1994.
Good point. I forgot Tron Track has the the WoM logo on the trashcans and entrance over-hang.

For the most part, all the '82 logos would work for the current pavilions. Heck, whatever is going in UoE could even use the simple "target" symbol and just change the color? For M:S, they could create a new logo that would represent space or just nostalgia everyone and use Horizons in more places than the gravity wheel. They are simple and effective (for the most part) of what they describe. And it would be a simple way to get on the good side of Epcot fans by bringing them back. Hear anything about this possibly happening @marni1971 ?

I know I plan on buying a stupid amount of Epcot 35 mystery pin packs simply because I love the original logos. Just hoping I can still get them when I go down over Christmas.
Epcot-35-Anniversary-Mystery-Set-Pins.jpg

sedati

It's not that I don't like Disney IPs in Epcot, it's that Epcot doesn't need them to be successful.
But does success then lay in the ability to align with stable corporate sponsors?

When compared to the other experiences in the sister parks are Epcot Center style pavilions just too expensive to justify paying solely out of Disney's pocket, especially with no high volume gift shops to offset such costs that one expects with an IP?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Updated version with Brazil added at the end. Increased fly speed.

...Is that definitely the plot they're looking at for Brazil? If the CBR tower will be visible from within the park, it seems like they could put Brazil in the Africa Outpost plot and blend the CBR tower's design into the Brazil pavilion ala Morocco and ToT... It appears to line up perfectly from your video viewpoint.

-Rob

Best intel says that's the plot.

Given the Swolphin's location, and it's rumored new tower, I don't think WDW cares that much about sight lines of distant resorts... especially if you turn around and see all the future world building in one's sight line. If they're built nicely, you can imagine them to be far off countries!

upload_2017-7-6_0-52-24.png

brb1006

Is it just me or am I the only person who feels Henry Mystic and Albert from Mystic Manor to be a spiritual successor to Dreamfinder and Figment? Sure they both are different but I can't stop being reminded of how similar these duo are to Dream finder and Figment.

FigmentForver96

Is it just me or am I the only person who feels Henry Mystic and Albert from Mystic Manor to be a spiritual successor to Dreamfinder and Figment? Sure they both are different but I can't stop being reminded of how similar these duo are to Dream finder and Figment.
Not really, at least not to me. Figment was never obnoxious nor caused problems like his newer version does. He was playful and childish in that his wonder made him imagine new things. Albert is so curious that he causes a sleuth of problems.

mimitchi33

I think Frozen proved that IPs that are popular can draw in tons of visitors. Inside Out can work in EPCOT! It is bigger than Frozen at the moment to the poing where more DVD's are being sold. And Bing Bong is one of the most popular characters...

OvertheHorizon

@marni1971 THANK YOU! The video on Horizons is wonderful. I've watched "ride through" videos before, but the detailed graphics of how the pavilion was laid out is very much appreciated. I rode Horizons so many times, it remains my all time favorite. I wish there was a way to bring back a new iteration of that pavilion for guests of Epcot's future.

I know that Epcot is never going to return to the "glory days" I (perhaps falsely) remember. But I hope that whatever is planned will inspire many generations to come. Getting rid of the "graveyard" and the ridiculous paint scheme on communicore/innoventions would be a start. :)

larandtra

If they take Epcot in the direction of Sea and create a Discovery Showcase to compliment World Showcase, there is a realistic thought Disney may be on to something that will work. Continue improving MK, let the Studios become more thrill based, movie based with Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel, or whatever they want as long as they keep the Movie theming, fix the Dino area in Animal Kingdom to move that transformation, and then let IP stuff into Epcot as part of the new direction of human discovery and creativeness. It could synch the parks, let them all stand as individual parks, yet be a part of a bigger concept. Now, the question is, will/can they do it?

huwar18

@marni1971 THANK YOU! The video on Horizons is wonderful. I've watched "ride through" videos before, but the detailed graphics of how the pavilion was laid out is very much appreciated. I rode Horizons so many times, it remains my all time favorite. I wish there was a way to bring back a new iteration of that pavilion for guests of Epcot's future.

I know that Epcot is never going to return to the "glory days" I (perhaps falsely) remember. But I hope that whatever is planned will inspire many generations to come. Getting rid of the "graveyard" and the ridiculous paint scheme on communicore/innoventions would be a start. :)

I just made my wife watch a Horizons video. She was never able to experience the ride. In my opinion, the ride would have still been relevant today. They really wouldn't have had to update any of the scenes. That stands for a lot of the rides that were taken out of Epcot. Yes, you have to change and update to keep people coming into the gates. I agree! I hope they at least plan something that will be semi-inspirational.

trainplane3

If they take Epcot in the direction of Sea and create a Discovery Showcase to compliment World Showcase, there is a realistic thought Disney may be on to something that will work. Continue improving MK, let the Studios become more thrill based, movie based with Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel, or whatever they want as long as they keep the Movie theming, fix the Dino area in Animal Kingdom to move that transformation, and then let IP stuff into Epcot as part of the new direction of human discovery and creativeness. It could synch the parks, let them all stand as individual parks, yet be a part of a bigger concept. Now, the question is, will/can they do it?
Money, ROI.

huwar18

I think Frozen proved that IPs that are popular can draw in tons of visitors. Inside Out can work in EPCOT! It is bigger than Frozen at the moment to the poing where more DVD's are being sold. And Bing Bong is one of the most popular characters...

As much as I agree that Inside Out would work in Epcot, I am not sure I agree that it would draw visitors down the road. I just don't think that the characters (Bing Bong) are that memorable. I never got the sense that Bing Bong was that popular. I wouldn't mind an attraction using Inside Out (if they are going the IP route). I just don't see the sustainability of Bing Bong.

FigmentJedi

As much as I agree that Inside Out would work in Epcot, I am not sure I agree that it would draw visitors down the road. I just don't think that the characters (Bing Bong) are that memorable. I never got the sense that Bing Bong was that popular. I wouldn't mind an attraction using Inside Out (if they are going the IP route). I just don't see the sustainability of Bing Bong.
Bing Bong only exists so they can kill him off to manipulate the audience's emotions and make them cry because every Pixar movie has to make you cry because they need those tears to provide coolant for the render farms.

Otherwise he's just an annoying idiotic Snuffleupagus Hobo Clown and a terrible substitute for Figment.

deeevo

Actually Inside Out is not that popular with kids right now. Not saying a sequel wouldn't take care of that though and I agree it is a perfect fit for EPCOT if we MUST have IP's. Moana is the flavor of the month for girls and she is more popular than Anna and Elsa currently. Boys I would say Marvel and not really Star Wars surprisingly. I kind of have my finger on the pulse of what kids are into as far as Disney since my girls and my 3 neighbors kids 8 total are under 5 and 7 of them are girls. Yes the 1 poor boy gets to to play with all those girls. Also we all have AP's. Here is a pic from a few days ago... no Frozen... shocker huh

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 164

huwar18

Bing Bong only exists so they can kill him off to manipulate the audience's emotions and make them cry because every Pixar movie has to make you cry because they need those tears to provide coolant for the render farms.

Otherwise he's just an annoying idiotic Snuffleupagus Hobo Clown and a terrible substitute for Figment.

I hate when he is compared to Figment.

larandtra

While Money is always a concern in any business, the gate traffic at Animal Kingdom is proving that if they invest people will come. Additionally, the gate at MK is doing quite well even with the lack of new attractions. Overall WDW parks( Florida) have solid financials and outside of Euro, Shanghai is performing above expectation, other parks are doing well etc. I fully understand ROI as I deal with it daily and timing is everything. But, I do think there is something to be said for fixing in segments, as they appear to be doing, and having a 5-7 year plan. My concern is "who" is overseeing it and making the decisions. There does not appear to be one united vision about WDW and thats part of the problem. You can have several ideas or voices, but, eventually everyone has to get behind ONE and they have to all commit to it. One vision in line with Walts beliefs and visions could do wonders for the property as a whole. And its not like it is hurting now. It would just return it to being the gold standard by even more distance than it is now.

britain

Figment doesn't mean much without Dreamfinder, in my opinion. He was the child-like creature Dreamfinder was educating and through which, the audience was educated too.

Currently Figment is obnoxiously playing the role of 'teacher'. I have little empathy for him. Bring on Bing Bong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom