News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Cmdr_Crimson

For the last 39 years it has been Future World and World Showcase... Without actually expanding the park we know have three different names for the one place...and none of those really make sense... Is Imagination part of World Nature? How is Test Track part of World Discovery? What is Celebratory about a Creations Shop and Soda Samples place?
It is all muddled...
Even tho it's named World-X it will always be Future World..

aliceismad

I don't mind the actual new names or naming structure, but I also think Future World was a poor naming convention for that part of the park with it's current and future offerings. My biggest complaint about the new names is the poor delineation between "worlds."

Fear

I don't mind the actual new names or naming structure, but I also think Future World was a poor naming convention for that part of the park with it's current and future offerings. My biggest complaint about the new names is the poor delineation between "worlds."

What's futuristic about an aquarium?

What's futuristic about flying over landmarks?

What's futuristic about the Electric Umbrella?

"Future World" needed changing. I think at its core the neighborhoods helps. If not because of the Tomorrowland Problem, then to split up the area into STEM, Humanities, and Ecology.

Bocabear

but it doesn't organize it in any way that makes sense because it was designed to be one huge area...not these two buildings are this "neighborhood" and then the third building in a row is part of the "neighborhood" with the other side of the park buildings, and the building in the center is part of another neighborhood...
It would have been better for it all to have been World Discovery East or West... The three different areas with no clear boundaires makes it even more confusing and disjointed.

lazyboy97o

That’s my issue and why I think they should have waited until construction is complete or close to complete to roll out the new neighborhood names.
Waiting would not have helped. There was an underlying pattern to the organization of Future World, a pattern that is largely remaining even if obscured by the destruction of CommuniCore West. None of the new construction is really to create a new organizational pattern for the neighborhoods, there won’t be any sort of new spatial separation between The Land and Imagination or Test Track and Odyssey. The confusion is the result of just drawing bubbles around some things for the sake of making “big” changes, a problem with much of the New EPCOT.
Okay, this here? A legitimate gripe. If they define it as something they should stick with a definition.

That said, this is a phenomenally easy fix on the backend, not a "sky is falling" issue.
It’s a clear demonstration of how the new neighborhoods lack clear definitions and boundaries.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There have been even smaller hills that people have chosen to die on at WDW. Any little change has a bunch of people saying its the worst thing ever. And they'll never come back. Its the worst part of Disney fandom.
It's these types of Disney fans and their hyperbolic drama that just ruins it for the rest of us. Because of them, I'll never step foot in a Disney park again.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My one (minor) issue with the new "worlds" is what to call the front part of EPCOT apart from World Showcase. It doesn't have a conglomerate name except to use the defunct "Future World."

"After sampling the national dishes in World Showcase, we decided to go on some of the rides in...

1. ...World Nature, World Discovery, and World Celebration."​
2. ...the other 'worlds'."​
3. ...the Land formerly known as Future World."​
4. ...EPCOT North."​

??

Fear

My one (minor) issue with the new "worlds" is what to call the front part of EPCOT apart from World Showcase. It doesn't have a conglomerate name except to use the defunct "Future World."

"After sampling the national dishes in World Showcase, we decided to go on some of the rides in...

1. ...World Nature, World Discovery, and World Celebration."​
2. ...the other 'worlds'."​
3. ...the Land formerly known as Future World."​
4. ...EPCOT North."​

??

Someone elsewhere in the thread mentioned that they've never heard a non-CM call it "Future World" in passing, just referring to the Pavilion/Ride names. I think that will continue.

Bocabear

"That place towards the front of the park...if you came in the front entrance and not by skyliner...if you did then it is that area around the bog golf ball..."
Confusion of "east Or West" aside, when three structures in a row are now parts of two different "Neighborhoods" it is just going to be confusing...

Epcot82Guy

I'm not sure I understand the Future World argument here. I don't see anyone disagreeing that Future World was dated and not used. (Absent them actually updating the park to align to it - which has and always will have the "update"/TL problem.) The problem is that their replacement is muddled and bad replacement IMHO. That's what I understand people to be saying - as am I.

I actually think that's true for most of the Epcot complaints. People are acting like fans want everything to just be restored and trapped in 1989. While some do, the argument is that some of those were better than their previous or current replacements. The ultimate would have been new versions of pavilions that fit the Epcot story and were updated properly. (As you are seeing with all the praise for the entry plaza.)

Epcot82Guy

I read World Discovery as "STEM-land". Play! seems to be leaning hard on "a cyber city/tech-world" kind of thing from what we see. It all kind of rhymes with tech/space/design.

World Celebration is Humanities-focused.

World Nature is, well, nature. It's what's on the can.

It all makes sense to me, but I'm just one guy.

I actually would totally be ok with that idea. (Maybe saying "creativity" vs. "humanities" for Celebration, but we're going down the same path.) I still think Epcot Center would have been the better name, but that one bothers me less.

World Discovery is the one that really gets me. A Science/Technology area would be great. Even an "other worlds" one could have been great. But for each idea I have - only 3/4 pavilions work. I'll admit I'm assuming the story about GotG. If it was a science fiction pavilion or a CGI pavilion or the like, it would fit very well. It's this idea it's a World Showcase pavilion for fantasy alien technology that makes no sense.

I stand forever to say Epcot should be based in the real world, and IP inclusion should honor that. Fantasy can be added, but it should be tied to the real world (like Nemo or even Rat) - not fantasy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom