News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

James Alucobond

Anyone know why that part between Guardians and SSE, next to Connections, is still not getting finished? It’s only landscaping right? And it’s been like that since last summer.
I can't quite figure it out either. My only guess is that perhaps they want to landscape it at the same time as the opposite area around the Journey of Water pump and filtration building so that they are at a similar level of establishment and maturity.

raymusiccity

The show building for the Rhine River Adventure was not built.
I'm pretty sure that they use it for storage. You can imagine the loading area when you're watching the stage show during dinner.
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 10.43.17 PM.png

tparris

I can't quite figure it out either. My only guess is that perhaps they want to landscape it at the same time as the opposite area around the Journey of Water pump and filtration building so that they are at a similar level of establishment and maturity.
I was gonna say the same thing, however after a trip on the monorail today I noticed that they’ve started moving a bunch of dirt around in that area again. I didn’t get any photos, but they’re definitely doing some work there again.

Fear

My thinking is that it opens toward the Imagination Pavillon which is confusingly a part of World Celebration, so this helps that feel a bit less unnatural. I think that was kind of their plan with the original barstool idea too.

Plus it seems like it will keep a "circle" symmetry with the whole hub area. I'm assuming you won't see any of the Journey of Water attraction from World Celebration itself thanks to landscaping.

_caleb

Epcot82Guy

I am happy to see trees in what was a concrete plaza. Maybe Epcot’s 1970’s version of the future didn’t think trees were necessary (or maybe just took them for granted), but they seem super important now (even just for the shade they can provide).

Actually, 1970s/80s/early 90s Epcot had trees - and water - and grass. Plus glassed in buildings not dissimilar to what you are seeing today in Connections. The concrete you speak of was added in the late 90s by the Innoventions Plaza redo. The concrete, tarps, etc. was a product of the 90s/early 2000s.

So, perhaps some people would be greater fans of Epcot Center than they may think... :)

_caleb

Actually, 1970s/80s/early 90s Epcot had trees - and water - and grass. Plus glassed in buildings not dissimilar to what you are seeing today in Connections. The concrete you speak of was added in the late 90s by the Innoventions Plaza redo. The concrete, tarps, etc. was a product of the 90s/early 2000s.

So, perhaps some people would be greater fans of Epcot Center than they may think... :)
Good point. I’m acquainted with an Imagineer who was part of the 90’s plaza redo, according to him, they were told NOT to use trees (hence the shade sails), because trees add maintenance costs.

Even in the 80’s, though, trees were mostly used as backdrops (palm trees off of pedestrian paths, away from guest areas, not really to provide shade).

Bocabear

I am happy to see trees in what was a concrete plaza. Maybe Epcot’s 1970’s version of the future didn’t think trees were necessary (or maybe just took them for granted), but they seem super important now (even just for the shade they can provide).
Epcot did not open until the 80s...1982. And the central plaza originally had trees and waterways...
The original park was beautiful, and most of it held up nicely...it was the additions that were dated quickly.
and while I get that the 90s added a lot of concrete, and I did not care for the revisions, it was still not ALL concrete as people keep saying... there were still trees here and there and greenery...just not a forest
1670346176449.png

Epcot82Guy

Good point. I’m acquainted with an Imagineer who was part of the 90’s plaza redo, according to him, they were told NOT to use trees (hence the shade sails), because trees add maintenance costs.

Even in the 80’s, though, trees were mostly used as backdrops (palm trees off of pedestrian paths, away from guest areas, not really to provide shade).

Oh - no doubt. The 90s design had a very definite viewpoint. However, back then, Communicore was designed as open concourses (much like malls of the time). There were the direct walkways that connected each part of the various sides. The "attractions" were in the pits in the center of each area. So, while not tree-based shade, the center of the park had HUGE shaded (covered) areas that were easily visible and accessible. They also served as cover for the rain - with plenty of things to do. The goal was to get people into the two Communicore buildings vs. just funneling through the center toward World Showcase. The huge amounts of glass helped immensely with that (which was also lost with the Innoventions/MouseGear redo). There were certainly design choices and benefits of the 90s redo. And, it created problems as well.

My only fear with this new approach is the shade is very limited and within a smaller area. I agree the original trees were more decor than shade. but, I don't see the new design having enough density to really offer much than a little screening here and there. Even World Nature which has some larger, established trees has only some level of shade 40 years later.

James Alucobond

Very nice! I suspected this might be happening soon. From the aerials a few days ago, it looked like they were stacking some of the decorative grating that's supposed to surround these trees, and they're starting the concrete pours on the two quadrants of the main gardens that face Creations and Connections. I'm probably being overly optimistic, but I'm starting to have some hope that they might open up this half of the gardens as soon as they're ready to ease up the feeling of being funneled down a hallway.

Andrew25

Seems like they are rushing to add some breathing for the last 2 weeks of the year? Hoping they can at least open up some more pathways before Moana to better spread crowds.

_caleb

Epcot did not open until the 80s...1982. And the central plaza originally had trees and waterways...
The original park was beautiful, and most of it held up nicely...it was the additions that were dated quickly.
and while I get that the 90s added a lot of concrete, and I did not care for the revisions, it was still not ALL concrete as people keep saying... there were still trees here and there and greenery...just not a forest
View attachment 683468
No need to just automatically disagree. When do you think the park that opened in 1982 was designed?

You’re right that it’s not all concrete. As shown in the image you shared, the trees amounted to landscaping (as were the grass embankments), rather than being incorporated into the environment.

tparris

Seems like they are rushing to add some breathing for the last 2 weeks of the year? Hoping they can at least open up some more pathways before Moana to better spread crowds.
I have a feeling they’re going to start pushing the walls back in phases throughout 2023, possibly starting with this area early in the year, and concluding with the opening of Moana and CommuniCore Hall/Plaza.

_caleb

My only fear with this new approach is the shade is very limited and within a smaller area. I agree the original trees were more decor than shade. but, I don't see the new design having enough density to really offer much than a little screening here and there. Even World Nature which has some larger, established trees has only some level of shade 40 years later.
More than just the question of shade, I’d love to see a greater incorporation of nature in general (yes, ironic that a big portion of the “natural” area will be artificial rocks themed to an animated film).

Most of us are familiar with the futuristic designs of Wakanda in the Marvel films or Tomorrowland in that film. These both offer different takes on a built environment of “tomorrow” that do much more to incorporate nature.

No, I don’t want Epcot to be themed to those films, and yes, I’m aware that it isn’t “Future World” anymore and Epcot has likely lost its focus on futurism.

retr0gate

No doubt, opening day saw a lot more greenery than one would guess after being so used to the concrete plaza of the 90s. That said, we're arguably getting a lot more here. It may be a matter of preference (I know many have expressed their concerns about the plaza being too densely populated with trees), but they're certainly taking the "futuristic" approach here that's more in line with todays design standards. Even the clean, green, landscaped grass and palm trees of the 80s would look semi-dated today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom