News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

brettf22

Premium Member
I’m new to posting here. Has anyone walked by the Innoventions demolition area recently? It looks like the steel beams are covered in asbestos fireproofing.
I’m not a construction expert, so maybe others in the construction field can provide better information. But I believe using asbestos in spray on fireproofing for steel beams was (mostly) phased out in the 70s. So it’s unlikely it was used during Communicore’s early 80s construction. Even if it was used, I believe asbestos surveys and abatement certifications are required before any demolition.

gerarar

Premium Member
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but Imagineer Zach Riddley posted an update about Dreamer’s Point and indicated that it’s still coming:
96A77BE6-A5E9-4744-A404-79A6668E7F7F.jpeg

LastoneOn

I’m new to posting here. Has anyone walked by the Innoventions demolition area recently? It looks like the steel beams are covered in asbestos fireproofing. With people walking so close, seems to be hazardous if workers are liberating asbestos into the surrounding air during demolition. Do the workers know that’s asbestos? If anyone has experience in this type of demolition, thanks for a reply.
I am a "construction worker" mostly retired. And was certified for asbestos abatement, etc.

Trust me: no one is more concerned with asbestos than the guys working on that site. Nobody will hesitate to report something they think is dangerous. Once the asbestos industry took off anything and everything remotely looking suspicious was under scrutiny. The more to remove the better the $$. That being said, these buildings are under a demolition permit and that requires an environmental assessment, part of that is identifying what's what in the building.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Putting a Walt statue in IPCOT near a Moana play area is such a slap in the face to the man and what he believed to be the potential for his planned city and for technological progress at large.

Taking bets on how long until we get a statue of Walt at the Water Parks and DAK

Have to agree...

More scenery to “celebrate what we used to do”

Or to put it more bluntly “here’s another no maintenance thing to walk past on you’re way to a 90 minute wait for a 30 year old ride”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am a "construction worker" mostly retired. And was certified for asbestos abatement, etc.

Trust me: no one is more concerned with asbestos than the guys working on that site. Nobody will hesitate to report something they think is dangerous. Once the asbestos industry took off anything and everything remotely looking suspicious was under scrutiny. The more to remove the better the $$. That being said, these buildings are under a demolition permit and that requires an environmental assessment, part of that is identifying what's what in the building.

Correct.

Magic Kingdom had significant asbestos use. Epcot is old enough as well...but the late 70’s/early 80’s saw the use diminish greatly so I don’t know if it would be a standard application.

Magic2020

I haven’t been to EPCOT since they started the demolition, but a relative of mine was by there recently and saw workers chipping away at the fireproofing to get at one of the metal beams with a blow torch. I know asbestos was phased out in the late 70s, but some was probably still used into the early 80s. If it is asbestos, that entire area should be sealed in plastic and the workers should be wearing hazmat suits. I’ve also seen pictures posted here about the work on TRON light cycle run. It’s using the old Ellen’s Energy Adventure building as its entrance and it looks like asbestos on the beams there too.

lazyboy97o

I haven’t been to EPCOT since they started the demolition, but a relative of mine was by there recently and saw workers chipping away at the fireproofing to get at one of the metal beams with a blow torch. I know asbestos was phased out in the late 70s, but some was probably still used into the early 80s. If it is asbestos, that entire area should be sealed in plastic and the workers should be wearing hazmat suits. I’ve also seen pictures posted here about the work on TRON light cycle run. It’s using the old Ellen’s Energy Adventure building as its entrance and it looks like asbestos on the beams there too.
How does painted sprayed fire proofing with asbestos look different from a distance than painted sprayed fire proofing without asbestos? Disney maintains a vast archive of construction documents and the specifications would show any asbestos containing products. Ensuring there are not hazardous materials is also part of the process.

TRON is a new build at the Magic Kingdom. Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is replacing Ellen’s Energy Adventure.

Last edited:

ppete1975

Guardians not tron

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

They’re not doing illegal asbestos abatement...rest assured. I’ve done consults on some recent work in LBV...the liability and eyes are too sharp on their projects even if they wanted to do something cheap...which they don’t.

Fireproofing installed in 1979 has what I would guess to be a 75% chance or more of being a treated paper material (cellulose with perhaps silica) as opposed to asbestos (hydrated silicates)...or everyone’s favorite: Fiberglass.

I wouldn’t huff on any of it...but it’s likely not the kinda stuff that was in the twin towers (and removed over the years...as an ironic side note)

Rest easy, young fawn.

Cmdr_Crimson

History is written by the victors. Card Walker may be on the park's plaque, but his name and work has been swept under the rug like many pre-Iger things. There is only Bob and the corporate image of Betty Crock...er, I mean Walt.
I think he's also the only other CEO Who gave out the Ever-so-rare....."Lifetime Silver Pass" to a family during the Epcot Grand Opening..

Does make you wonder if this family still has them....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom