1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Fast-Food Fries: McDonald's or Burger King

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dead2009, Sep 8, 2017.

1. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

Omg. I miss California Pizza Kitchen soooooo much!!!!!
    The frozen pizzas are just not the same. :(

Pizza Fusion is my favorite pizza/pizza company though. I miss that too :(.

Ok so fries.. not a fan. If I'm absolutely starving, I'll say Chick Fil A as far as fast food fries.

StarWarsGirl likes this.
  2. raven24

raven24 Well-Known Member

This, all of it.

My college freshman English class was solely based on healthy eating (the professor was a vegetarian). We read Fast Food Nation, The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, and some other things, as well as watched multiple videos regarding how these American companies process food, etc. That class opened my eyes to many things, and I haven't been the same since, especially regarding fast food, if it's even food. McDonald's, Burger King, etc. don't serve actual food. Not in America, at least. It's trash, salads included, which are even more unhealthy than the burgers sometimes. I don't trust McDonald's or anything else similar to it. When I eat fast food, the ingredients have to be fresh and the food has to actually be cooked in the restaurant, hence the reason I haven't stopped eating In-N-Out. At home, I try to eat as many organic things as possible. The chemicals in processed food, as well as the pesticides sprayed on produce is very unhealthy and has been linked to cancer. I don't want cancer.

StarWarsGirl and epcot82fan like this.
  3. epcot82fan

epcot82fan EPCOT Center Purist

In-N-Out all the way!

4. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

Because it is the socially trendy thing to do. Same as Walmart. Quoted from a friend... "I'm not going to lower my dignity to even go into a junk store like Walmart." OK, if you want to spend twice as much for the same thing elsewhere, who am I to stop you. If they want to believe that the food at McD's is on any level worse the any other restaurant they have ever been in, be my guest. Word of advice though... whatever you do, do not ever go into any commercial kitchens.

I don't go to a place like McD's constantly because fast food does tend to be higher in caloric levels then at home (that goes for any restaurant, fast or socially acceptable). However, I do not have a problem with going there if the situation calls for it. Other then in imagination, there is nothing wrong with those places. Dealing with fries, I am lucky, I guess, because I don't really care all that much for fries, so not having them is never a problem.

MinnieM123, MOXOMUMD and SteveBrickNJ like this.
  5. SteveBrickNJ

SteveBrickNJ Well-Known Member

Wonderful answer!
    Following your general philosophy.... I can afford to buy t shirts and button down shirts at the mall, but eight times out of ten I'll buy them at K Mart or Wal Mart cause I can get the same shirt for so much less. I'm just basically backing up your point.
    McD's food would indeed not be healthy on a regular basis. My wife is an excellent cook and provides our family with daily delicious healthy meals. Once a week I treat myself (on my lunch break from work)with a take out lunch. Boston Market, a local pizza place, etc.
    McDonald's is just in the rotation....thus one day in every thirty.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    MinnieM123, MOXOMUMD and Goofyernmost like this.
  6. MOXOMUMD

MOXOMUMD Well-Known Member

7. Minthorne

Minthorne Well-Known Member

Five Guys is the only fast food chain I order fries at.

8. SteveBrickNJ

SteveBrickNJ Well-Known Member

Redirecting the thread just a bit.....but COSTCO has some potato chips and a variety of "salty snacks" that are good. A few options that are not in the major supermarkets......and I'm mentioning it 'cause Moxomumd's post made me think of Costco's chips with sea salt. Very good!
    Anybody try any of those?

9. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

McDonald's used to have the best fries when they cooked them in sheep tallow. You can get it hotter than any other cooking oil and it made a huge difference. Now they are using regular canola oil. McDonald's sprays the fries with a coating of cane sugar water before they freeze them. That causes the outside of the fry to caramelized a bit when it's fried. McDonald's also uses "popcorn" salt, which is not iodinized and is ground ultra fine. McDonald's fries, when prepared properly and served hot, are still some of the best in the industry.

Steak and Shake also has great fries.

MOXOMUMD and MinnieM123 like this.
  10. StarWarsGirl

StarWarsGirl Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a social trend to hate Walmart. I know a lot of people my age shop there because it's cheapest. But actually to say it's cheapest is a major myth. It's model of never having sales in favor of keeping prices low means that you can quite often find things cheaper elsewhere, especially food items. And Target's prices are actually comparable, if not lower, than Walmart's. Personally, I just don't like Walmart because I've been there and didn't like it. I bought a pair of ear buds there once, and quality-wise, they were horrible. I also don't like the overall feel of their stores. They're not a pleasant place to be. I would rather shop online or go to Target, especially when I get 5% back on Amazon with my card. My prime membership has basically paid for itself. And Target I can wander for hours.

That's also the issue many have with McDonald's: the food is low quality. Which makes sense to a degree because it's cheap. Cheap products often do not have good quality, and that's the case in McDonald's case. Cheap, but low quality, and I know in my case, I don't want to put something of low quality into my body. I make an exception every now and then for a Whopper, because gosh, I love that sauce, but it's not good for me, so I only do that when I really have a hankering.

Other places, like Panera, for instance, may be more expensive, but they use higher quality ingredients. I'd rather put that in my body.

I'd agree that it's a trend to hate on McDonald's, but there's valid reasons behind it, not just doing it because that's what everyone else does.

raven24 likes this.
  11. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member

12. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

I didn't read that, but, as usual I have my own infallible theory on that subject. Almost everyone eats Fries, absolutely everyone dies. Therefore we have the undeniable determination that the majority of people that have died have eaten fries, either in small portions or in huge servings. Moral: You only go around once. Enjoy it while you can. If that means you spend a couple of years less sitting in a wheelchair starring at the wall. So be it! This coming from a person that doesn't eat many because I'm not all that fond of them. However, that's OK because I am also pretty sure that the major cause of death is being born and I have already done that, no sense worrying about it now.

MOXOMUMD and MinnieM123 like this.
  13. KeithVH

KeithVH Well-Known Member

Red Robin Bottomless Steak Fries . . .