Best way to surprise niece with our upcoming Disney trip

Minnie1986

My upcoming trip will be myself and niece (will be 12 by the date of the trip), who has absolutely no idea that it's happening. I came up with a general plan, but i'm thinking that maybe she would need at least the night before to prepare herself?

Thus far, she thinks that she is coming to spend a week with me in my city. The day after she gets here, we'll explore the city, get our nails done, dinner, and I'm thinking of telling her that we're going to visit some "friends" of mine the next day, and that our flight leaves really early (so she doesn't get suspicious as to why we're going to bed so early). I'll have everyone's stuff by the door, showers, etc. done the night before. The morning of, i'm thinking of either telling her when I wake her up or legit waiting until we're pulling up to the infamous sign.

Thoughts and/or advice would be incredibly appreciated!

Eric Graham

I have many nieces and nephews. What great fun they are! Have you considered setting up a scavenger hunt and have clues along the way with smaller prizes like candy etc before the big reveal of the Disney trip as the grand reveal? May be a fun way to do it. Just a thought!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

The anticipation is half the fun! I'd let her know ASAP the morning you leave (otherwise, she may not sleep the night before, LOL). A scavenger hunt like @Eric Graham suggested would be a lovely way to do it. If you Google "going to Disney scavenger hunt" there are even some pre-made scavenger hunt clues online that you can print out and use for free -- or you could customize one tailored to her.

Upvote 0

Swissmiss

Premium Member
The only thing I would add is: how good is she with surprises - is she the type of kid that goes with the flow or needs time to process? If the latter, then the scavenger hunt might be good. You can also get some disney themed nail art/decals for when you get your nails done.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Scavenger hunts are fun and we’ve done one with DS before. Another way we did once was to set up a hangman game with him picking letters to spell “ I’m going to Disney World. Then when he solved it we had a box full of Disney things he would use and items related to Goofy, his favorite character.

Upvote 0

Eric Graham

Scavenger hunts are fun and we’ve done one with DS before. Another way we did once was to set up a hangman game with him picking letters to spell “ I’m going to Disney World. Then when he solved it we had a box full of Disney things he would use and items related to Goofy, his favorite character.
That's a wonderful idea that you suggested with the hangman game for her niece!

Upvote 0

jpinkc

Well we were having dinner and tried playing The Old Mickey Mouse Club theme, you know the good one. Whos the Leader of Club etc. We also served them dinner with Mouse Ears over the plates and thats when they started to catch on it was more funny when they asked if they were going to Mickey Mouse Club, and we told them where they were going. They kept wondering why they didnt hear the Mickey Mouse Club song at Disney LOL

Upvote 0

bjlc57

you may find that your surprise DOES NOT WORK..there are many You Tube videos of "kids being surprised.. " but they already have in their minds they are going some place else.. and guess what.. THEY DON"T WANT TO GO TO DISNEY.. check it out.. I am not trying to rain on your parade but my parents pulled this on me one time.. told me we were going some place and went totally someplace else. and I melted down.. because I was geared up for where we "supposed " to go.. jus' saying..

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
you may find that your surprise DOES NOT WORK..there are many You Tube videos of "kids being surprised.. " but they already have in their minds they are going some place else.. and guess what.. THEY DON"T WANT TO GO TO DISNEY.. check it out.. I am not trying to rain on your parade but my parents pulled this on me one time.. told me we were going some place and went totally someplace else. and I melted down.. because I was geared up for where we "supposed " to go.. jus' saying..
Yeah, I won’t have this issue. My niece has been dying to go to Disney for years. All she knows is that she’s coming to visit me in my city; which is exactly what we’re going to do in the days before we leave. She also loves to travel and is a very much “go with the flow” type of girl.

Upvote 0

Tiki Traveler

Okay, now you’ve got the party planner in me going. Where are you staying? If in the world what are you doing for Magic Bands? You can get swipe cards free from the Disney hotels but MB are more fun. Do either of you have an Apple Watch?

Also, what about matching accessories? Would you order/make matching t-shirts or ears for the trip or buy once you get there? Your niece might wonder about them but once she’s there she’ll see how everyone is dressed.

At the least pick up some glow bracelets for the evenings. The parks can be dark in places and they are fun to wear.

Hopefully I’m not stressing you out by all these suggestions. Part of the fun of Disney is the planning, right?

You’ll have a great trip regardless. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Okay, now you’ve got the party planner in me going. Where are you staying? If in the world what are you doing for Magic Bands? You can get swipe cards free from the Disney hotels but MB are more fun. Do either of you have an Apple Watch?

Also, what about matching accessories? Would you order/make matching t-shirts or ears for the trip or buy once you get there? Your niece might wonder about them but once she’s there she’ll see how everyone is dressed.

At the least pick up some glow bracelets for the evenings. The parks can be dark in places and they are fun to wear.

Hopefully I’m not stressing you out by all these suggestions. Part of the fun of Disney is the planning, right?

You’ll have a great trip regardless. Enjoy!
  • We'll be at AKL
  • I purchased us both new MagicBand+ (I figured why not?)
  • I have an Apple Watch, and am trying to decide if I want to wear my band on one wrist and the apple watch on the other, or if I should purchase this thing I saw on Amazon that lets you wear both on one wrist.
  • I purchased one set of semi matching shirts to wear on our MK day. I collect ears and will be wearing pairs on my MK and Epcot days. For her, I purchased her a pair of ears re: her favorite character and am going to take her to Disney Springs on Day 1 to let her pick out another pair.
  • I bought a 100 pack of glow in the dark glasses, bracelets, necklaces, and headbands. I did the same thing when I took my godson in 2017 and he LOVED having them.
  • Not stressed at all; glad to know I'm not the only one that gets crazy excited about this stuff 😂

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mireille

Premium Member
  • We'll be at AKL
  • I have an Apple Watch, and am trying to decide if I want to wear my watch on one wrist and the apple watch on the other, or if I should purchase this thing I saw on Amazon that lets you wear both on one wrist.
  • I purchased one set of semi matching shirts to wear on our MK day. I collect ears and will be wearing pairs on my MK and Epcot days. For her, I purchased her a pair of ears re: her favorite character and am going to take her to Disney Springs on Day 1 to let her pick out another pair.
  • I bought a 100 pack of glow in the dark glasses, bracelets, necklaces, and headbands. I did the same thing when I took my godson in 2017 and he LOVED having them.
  • Not stressed at all; glad to know I'm not the only one that gets crazy excited about this stuff 😂
I wore both my Apple Watch and MB+ while I was there but really only used the Apple Watch when I went for runs. One thing I'll recommend with the MB+ is to find some MB protectors (I got mine off Amazon); they're little rubber things that slide onto the bands to keep them from unsnapping and falling off. They're pretty cheap, like $5-$10 for a little baggy of them. On my trip with my mom, she lost hers and mine fell off a couple times but I noticed and never lost it.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

I’d definitely get a MB protector to prevent from falling off. I never had an issue with the older MBs but my new MB+ did fall off a couple times (thankfully it was in our room the first time and I felt it come off the 2nd time)! I’ll be ordering some of these for our upcoming trip!

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I’d definitely get a MB protector to prevent from falling off. I never had an issue with the older MBs but my new MB+ did fall off a couple times (thankfully it was in our room the first time and I felt it come off the 2nd time)! I’ll be ordering some of these for our upcoming trip!
Thanks for the heads up. I'll order some later this week.

Upvote 0

Tiki Traveler

• We'll be at AKL
  • I have an Apple Watch, and am trying to decide if I want to wear my watch on one wrist and the apple watch on the other, or if I should purchase this thing I saw on Amazon that lets you wear both on one wrist.

You are the Best Aunt Ever!

We also use the MB protectors from Amazon. :)

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Sounds like you’re driving there, correct?

Will she be in the front seat? As you get closer you could ask he to if she can help by putting the address into the satnav.,And then spell Walt Disney World out one letter at a time.

Or if she’s in the back can you get a road map atlas? Ask her if she’s ever used one, ask her to open it at page #.

Or just get her to help look for the road signs for each exit you take until she begins to notice the destination.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Sounds like you’re driving there, correct?

Will she be in the front seat? As you get closer you could ask he to if she can help by putting the address into the satnav.,And then spell Walt Disney World out one letter at a time.

Or if she’s in the back can you get a road map atlas? Ask her if she’s ever used one, ask her to open it at page #.

Or just get her to help look for the road signs for each exit you take until she begins to notice the destination.
No, we'll be flying; driving long distances does not sit well with my tummy, unfortunately😭 I spoke to her mom, and she's adamant that we stay the course with keeping the surprise until the last minute (and I can't say that I disagree). Thus far, the plan is to tell her that we're going to visit some friends of mine (she knows we won't be spending the whole time in my city) in (insert somewhere near Orlando here; any suggestions?). My niece is an extremely "go with the flow" type of girl, so until she sees that Walt Disney World sign, she won't even think to put it together.

I've also got several surprises planned during the trip(her magicband+, her Disney tee, a loaded Disney Gift Card so that she can buy herself or friends a few trinkets, cooling towels, a new YETI cup that matches mine since we have the same favorite color, and I got us matching passports for when we snack and drink around the world in Epcot).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
How are you getting from the airport to WDW?

Just a heads up, when we got an Uber from our near-airport hotel to OKW, our driver was chatting away about Disney. So if you’re getting a taxi or ride share direct to Disney you might want to try and let the driver know - maybe a note with the destination and saying it’s a secret.

If you’re renting a car it’ll be easy enough to keep it a surprise until the big gates.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom