Best Way to Handle Rental Car?

HouCuseChickie

With all of the weddings and events that have popped up this year, we had to cxl our trip to DLR. On top of that my brother and SIL announced that they're expecting :sohappy: which means a trip to FL. I need a vacation!!! :lol: So, the plan is to go to WDW before we travel down to S. FL to visit with family and see the baby.

I'm pretty sure we're flying for this trip, so that means we'll need to rent a car for the non-Disney portion of the trip. Unless air is significantly cheaper out of MCO - we'll probably be flying home from Ft Lauderdale- so that's where the car would be dropped off. Anyone have any thoughts on the best/cheapest way to get a rental car? Obviously, we could cab it back to MCO, but I'm sure there are rental places closer to the WDW property. I found an Enterprise location at the Royal Plaza Orlando, but not sure if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks! :wave:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
No problem! I've found those to be significantly more expensive than just picking up/dropping off at the airport though. I would price it out for the entire trip as well, picking up from MCO and driving yourself to WDW.

Makes sense. I guess you pay a premium for anything onsite/convenient. If worse comes to worse, I could take an early morning shuttle to MCO to p/u the rental if that winds up being the cheapest route. Thanks again! :)

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We always rent a car - and usually just through hotwire.com, between $10 & $13 a day...pickup & drop off in airport

I had thought about that since we've gotten really good rental car prices on hotwire. It's just a bit awkward since we don't need the car until we're done at WDW. I'll have to see if Hotwire will let us do MCO p/u and FLL return.

Upvote 0

AylaRanzz

Speaking of the Car Care Center, I had heard it was more expensive, but how much per day? Because when we go next April we'll only need a car for a day.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I must have been losing my mind yesterday... :hammer: ...b/c I wake up this morning and one of the first things I found was think link on Mousesavers...'

http://www.mousesavers.com/onedayrentals.html

As for the pp wondering how much more...not sure yet, but Mousesavers does say you'll usually find a savings if you book online in advance...which is usually the case regardless of where you are. I'll likely price out a few and compare it to working through Hotwire.

Upvote 0

Rob562

If you find that the rental car is significantly cheaper to pick up at the airport and you feel it's worth the time it takes to go there and back, you can always take Magical Express to the airport. You don't have to be flying out in order to take DME.

-Rob

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
If you find that the rental car is significantly cheaper to pick up at the airport and you feel it's worth the time it takes to go there and back, you can always take Magical Express to the airport. You don't have to be flying out in order to take DME.

-Rob

Wow! Did not know that...VERY COOL! Thanks! :wave:

Upvote 0

CashConover

I'm doing something similar...renting near WDW then driving to Miami and flying home from Miami airport. Found a good deal from Budget, in Kissimee, not too far from the hotel. Suppose to have pick-up service available, but you'd have to check with them.

BUDGET CAR RENTAL
OLD TOWN AMUSEMENT PARK
5770 W.IRLO BRONSON HWY,#434
KISSIMMEE/DISNEY, KISSIMMEE - M05
location hours Mon - Sat 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
phone 407-396-0928

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member

-Rob

Are you basing this on actual experience?

Because all DME luggage, etc is tagged.. and they don't let DME booked people pick what bus they go on, they must go on their scheduled bus.

I find it hard to believe they'd let you jump on

Upvote 0

Rob562

Are you basing this on actual experience?

Because all DME luggage, etc is tagged.. and they don't let DME booked people pick what bus they go on, they must go on their scheduled bus.

I find it hard to believe they'd let you jump on

You still have to book the return trip on the DME bus, but there's nothing saying you actually have to be flying out of the airport when you get there. You can just talk to DME directly, and they'll schedule you on a bus that meets your schedule.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Deadmanwalking

No problem! I've found those to be significantly more expensive than just picking up/dropping off at the airport though. I would price it out for the entire trip as well, picking up from MCO and driving yourself to WDW.

I have to disagree completely on this one.

If you pick up a car at the airport you will be hit with additional airport fees that make it much more expensive than picking the car up away from the airport.

I have also found that most rental sites in and around Orlando will allow you to drop the car off at the airport for no additional charge and you still avoid the airport fees.

The real trick in getting a good price on the rental car is persistence in checking the rates on a daily basis up until the trip and being open to different size cars. Normally a SUV or Mini Van is the most expensive option but sometimes it will be priced below the price of a full size car depending on the demand.

You can also find that rates at different hotels will also vary for the same company again depending on the demand at that site. The only thing I can say you should avoid is renting from the airport site because it has add on fees and renting from the site at the Magic Kingdom or other major hotel near the park, they tend to be less likely to offer any real cheap rates.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom