Best Value or Moderate Resort during Christmas Season

Herdman

Original Poster
Our family is hoping to make a trip to the World this coming December, probably around Dec. 13-20, before Christmas. We've been to Disney several times, but never during the Christmas season. Can anyone who has been before tell me which of the value or moderate resorts are the most decorated/prettiest during the holiday season? I've seen where a couple of the deluxe resorts are specifically mentioned as being beautiful, but those are out of our price range. Thanks for the help!

Herdman

Original Poster
Not sure the size of your family but if 4 or less a Wilderness Lodge Studio Villa rented DVC points for a week at that time at $14 a point is $1,605.
Pop Century for the same week is $1209. A moderate like CBR would be $1711.

You can't beat Wilderness Lodge at Christmas.
Thanks! There will be 3 of us.

Minthorne

Thanks! There will be 3 of us.
I've used http://www.dvcrequest.com/ to rent before - they are a sponsor of this board I think - and I recommend them. You'll want to put a request in when you can but you may have to wait until 7 months to book it if they don't have a member with that resort's points. You'll love staying there for Christmas time and the boat ride to the Magic Kingdom is a dream.

disneylover97

I stayed at All Star Movies December 2015. In the past I have stayed at he Grand Floridan and Wilderness Lodge during Christmas but this year I was on a budget. The All Stars are decorated...decent size tree in the lobby, wreaths hanging up. It was nothing spectacular but it was something! Unfortunately I can only speak for the All Star Resorts because this is the only value resort I have stayed at during the holidays but I'll attach some pictures. nothing better than the holidays in the world, I hope you have a magical time wherever you stay :)
image.jpg
image.jpg

Herdman

Original Poster
Thanks for the info so far! I have a question about renting a DVC property since we've never done that before. How does that work with making dining reservations at the 180 day mark? Would we have a reservation by then to be able to book those? I would assume we would be fine for the 60 day Fastpass+ window? Thanks again for all the help!

tzelasko

We are going 12/11/16-12/17/16, for the first time during Christmas, has anyone stayed at the Port Orleans - Riverside during Christmas? How is this resort decorated? Is it crowded during this week (week before Christmas)? I hope it won't be too crowded. Thank you.

Minthorne

Thanks for the info so far! I have a question about renting a DVC property since we've never done that before. How does that work with making dining reservations at the 180 day mark? Would we have a reservation by then to be able to book those? I would assume we would be fine for the 60 day Fastpass+ window? Thanks again for all the help!
The reservation is a real Disney reservation and you will be able to link it in your My Disney Experience. You will be eligible for the 180+10 dining reservations, 60 day fast passes and magic bands. You don't get daily mousekeeping.

Matt_Black

I did Art of Animation at Christmas. While I didn't notice many decorations aside from the tree (which was very nice), they did have a display of gingerbread houses in the food court and a loop of some nice Christmas songs (including several from Spike Jones, which is fun). Also, the ground level rooms had decorations up in the windows, such as tinsel and stockings, but I'm not sure if that was the resort or the guests.

JasonDeyoung

I stayed at Riverside this past Nov during the holiday season and id say that was the most decorated of moderates. It's a beautiful resort in its own, but add the holiday touch it was amazing. I've also stayed at French Quarter over the holidays and that was decorated very nicely to. Haven't been to Coronado or Carbbean over holidays so not much to say about those.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Also, the ground level rooms had decorations up in the windows, such as tinsel and stockings, but I'm not sure if that was the resort or the guests.
Those are guest decorations :happy:. When we have stayed at values/moderates during a holiday period (Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's) we are always delighted by the way guests decorate their room windows...some go all out!

Ariel4711

We are going 12/11/16-12/17/16, for the first time during Christmas, has anyone stayed at the Port Orleans - Riverside during Christmas? How is this resort decorated? Is it crowded during this week (week before Christmas)? I hope it won't be too crowded. Thank you.

We just went in December (also the week before Christmas) and it is definitely very busy. Just make sure to make your FP+ selections ASAP and go to the parks early to avoid the bulk of the crowds. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time :)

aw14

We stayed at POFQ during the 2012/2013 New Years season. It was great, well themed and overall a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend FQ

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Moderates are, in general, the best "bang for your buck" out of the WDW resorts IMO. The step up to a mod from value is like going from a hotel to a resort. Decorations aren't quite as extensive as the deluxe resorts, but in general are better than values.

I will also join the chorus of praise for WL at Christmas - and in general. It's one of our favorites, and we've stayed at every level of resort. Renting points can be a great way to save money, but the more popular times will go quickly. Also, make sure you read all of the policies for whatever site you choose. Typically, you will have to pay in full at the time of your reservation, and you will not be able to cancel for any reason. (Also, remember that WL villas is currently under renovation)

As for the moderates, POR and POFQ are both great resorts, and look great during the holidays. We also really like CSR - its a convention resort, and has a few more amenities compared to the other mods. If you don't like walking, and reliable bus transport is a big deal, then POFQ is the best option IMO.

Saskdw

Keep in mind that the Christmas decor at the Mod resorts is just the main building. None of them decorate the rest of the resort.

IMO CSR has the biggest tree and the most Christmas decor of the Mods. We have spent 4 Christmas at CSR. The last two times we had Christmas dinner at WL. That way we got to experience WL as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom