Best Tips

elizzierose

Original Poster
Hi all,

What are some of your best tips for Disney with kids? Specifically looking for tips to maximize fun, help keep the kids as comfortable and happy as possible, and have mom and dad not feel too insane :joyfull: Multi time WDW traveler here but first time with kids who will be 6 years and 6 months when’s e go in March.

Thank you!

rhodey_rider

How may days are you going for, and where are you staying? I just took a trip with a 1, 4, 6 yo's. My advice more generally would be as follows:
  • Consider using the UberXL car seat option if you can afford it for longer distances. For example I was at Beach Club, and we just did the Uber to AK. The strollers (I had two) were a pain on and off the bus.
  • Don't try and get everything done every day. Make a list and then try and accomplish 60% of it. My kids are troopers and even they would just shut down after a morning at the park. We found a good groove of 3-4 hours in the morning, resort for lunch, naps and cartoons for a few hours, then something low key and dinner. For example one night we went into Epcot and just did Soarin and then walked around.
  • Even if your 6 yo never uses a stroller at home, you may want to consider one for the trip. We walked 10+ miles on multiple days. My daughter rode for a bunch of it. We used a Joovy caboose which has a bigger kid seat on the back.
  • My kids liked the pool most of all. Your inclination is to not overdo the pool time but on my next trip I will plan for more of a 50/50 split as opposed to 80/20 parks/pool this trip.
  • Along the same line, if your kids like something don't be afraid to change your plans. My daughters who are 4 and 6 loved Test Track. I just scrapped certain things and we did it 3-4 times during the trip. You need to get a TT reservation usually before 10 AM or its going to be 8 PM or not available.
  • Rope drop is a near necessity for some rides but it is hellacious with a stroller. I don't have a tip here, just be prepared. People cutting you off, pushing by you, etc. I also thought through genie+ and the possibility of acquiring 3-4 ride passes throughout the day and then going in the afternoon. This is more difficult than you would think to execute because of how some ride reservations go immediately at 7 AM and others are always an hour ahead of the current time.
  • I used Walmart+ to have groceries delivered to the room. This was a great service, saved us tons of money. They deliver alcohol. For the price of 1 (1!) $10 beer in the park, you can by a 6 pack.
  • I feel like quick service has come a long way if you know where to go. In our first trip with the kids in 2019, we did a ton of character meals. This time we did one sit down, and then all mobile ordering. Doing a lot of dining research I feel like we didn't have a bad lunch/dinner. Always made breakfast food for them in the room.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

@ainswokp is right on, and covered it all!

Just for the sake of not feeling completely useless, I'd add: as much as possible, preserve the kids' usual napping and sleeping routines from home (or change those routines ahead of time to match what you plan to do on vacation), and if necessary, start taking a long family walk every evening to build up sufficient stamina for the miles of walking that Disney park touring often requires. (I personally wouldn't recommend a stroller for any child over the age of 5 unless they are unusually small or have a physical disability, but I know opinions on the subject vary widely.) If you want to keep the kids up late for fireworks, wait until your last night, or do it on an evening when you've already planned to sleep in the next morning.

Also, when in the parks: every time you pass a bathroom, stop and go whether you think you need to or not. Disney is so exciting for young kids, and their senses are being so bombarded, that it's hard for them to listen to their bodies.

rhodey_rider

@ainswokp is right on, and covered it all!

Just for the sake of not feeling completely useless, I'd add: as much as possible, preserve the kids' usual napping and sleeping routines from home (or change those routines ahead of time to match what you plan to do on vacation), and if necessary, start taking a long family walk every evening to build up sufficient stamina for the miles of walking that Disney park touring often requires. (I personally wouldn't recommend a stroller for any child over the age of 5 unless they are unusually small or have a physical disability, but I know opinions on the subject vary widely.) If you want to keep the kids up late for fireworks, wait until your last night, or do it on an evening when you've already planned to sleep in the next morning.

Also, when in the parks: every time you pass a bathroom, stop and go whether you think you need to or not. Disney is so exciting for young kids, and their senses are being so bombarded, that it's hard for them to listen to their bodies.
Agree and I actually did this, we did Harmonious last night. Comically the baby and 4 yo made it, 6 yo was in a coma. Also agree on bathroom. My 7 yo nephew had to duck out after 70 mins in line for Rise to pee, that is painful.

Lastly what I forgot - obviously if you get stuck on one it's a different story, but we took the skyliner 4-5 times without issue. Fit two strollers without collapsing, and the gondola being all windows means its like a ride for the kids. They loved it. I loved not having to fold up the stroller and them being relatively quiet.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
1. If possible, based on your financial situation and whether you intend to come back for another trip later, the best way to avoid meltdowns is to recognize when your kiddos are close to being done and respecting that. With the 6 month old, stroller naps are great ways for Mom or Dad to rest while the other parent does things with the 6 year old. But when the 6 year old is close to melting down, try to just call it and head back to the room for rest. As you're a multi-time visitor, presumably this isn't a once-in-a-lifetime trip, so if you miss something this time, you can prioritize catching it next time. The alternative is a massive fight/meltdown/"you're doing this and you're going to enjoy it" type moment (I see them every trip, and I feel bad for everyone involved because they are tired, stressed, and having no fun).

2. I cannot recommend enough trying to get some 1-on-1 time with the 6yo for both you and your husband. Something special for the kiddo that is also special for you. I have little things that are just mine, and it's as special for me as it is for her.

Have fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom