Best Time to Visit Disney

Brer Bear

Original Poster
I think I'll be headed back to Disney on May 13. I'm looking at staying at the Contemporary, but is May considered peak season price wise because I'm not looking on spending a fortune(but I want to stay at one of the big 3 with the monorails). I've never visited around that time. Could some of the locals at the board tell me the best time to go to stay away from the huge crowds, and the scorching weather. Since I usually go around December thats all I'm used to. :king:

JenLUVSmickey

Lowest Attendance:
January (except New Year's Day) until just prior to Presidents' week in February
The week following Labor Day until just prior to Thanksgiving week
The week following Thanksgiving until the week prior to Christmas

Moderate Attendance:
After Presidents' week in February through early March
Late April through early June (except Memorial Day weekend)
The first part of Thanksgiving week

Highest Attendance:
Presidents' week in February
Mid-March through Late April ("Spring Break")
Memorial Day weekend
Mid-June through Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day and weekend
Christmas week through New Year's Day

It's considered regular season--and I was there that week in 1998 and the place was practically empty. Never waited more than 30 minutes for anything, and this was before fastpass. I might be going back then again this year.

Tinker

I went last May, the week before Memorial weekend. The rate was regular, but I saved quite a bit on the discounts they were having. Split my stay at POR & AKL.

The temps were in the mid to high 80's, but the humidity was low. All in all, it was great weather.

Not many crowds as the kids were still in school. I'm going back this May for the same week.

Tom Morrow

I have gone in late January, late February, late April, early october, and late october/early november, and I can honestly say that the best time was late october/early november. It was less crowded then than it was in January.

The Mom

Premium Member
I usually purchase a seasonal pass. Any of the "block out" weeks will be busy. Last year it was Apr 7-20 (Easter) June 9-August 17 (school break) and Dec 22-Jan3rd Christmas. I've also found it busy around any monday holiday weekend/week.

BTW, I'll be there in 12 hours...I'll let you know how the crowds/weather were! :sohappy:

Jedi Osborn

We've been in Oct, Dec and Jan, and I have to say Jan is the best time to go. We're from upstate NY, so even the 65 degree weather is warm at that time of the year, and the crowds are non-existant.
We just went last month and everything was a walk on, in both Disney World and Universal (both parks). The longest line we waited in was at Dueling Dragons in IOA. We waited 20 minutes for the front seat. If we had wanted to ride in the middle, we could have ridden as many times as we wanted w/ no wait. Disney was the same thing The Tower, RnR Coaster, everything was a walk on.
We even saw Illuminations with no one standing around us. Usually there are people on either side and behind you. It really was terrific.

DanStat

Easter

I haven't encountered many crowds during Easter, or the traditional spring break time. It's usually calm.

MGM WDWFan

I went on a trip in 8th grade with my class in February...and I honestly believe we were the only ones in the parks. (again, before FASTPASS) The only thing we waited for AT ALL was Test Track(5-10 min), along with anything that had a time-based entrance (like Universe of Energy or Cranium Command).

While the weather can be somewhat questionable at this time of year, I still think it's worth it to go in mid-February. If it rains, go to Epcot!

--MGM

Tom Morrow

Re: Easter

Originally posted by disneyprep50321
I haven't encountered many crowds during Easter, or the traditional spring break time. It's usually calm.

You obviously haven't seen Disney World in October or January if you think spring break/easter is calm...

Main Street USA

One of the posts above said that Thaksgiving week is a busy week. I can't say I agree with that. I've been going over Thanksgiving for at least ten years and I can't remember it EVER being crowded at anyime during that week. Then again if I haven't been at a different time of year I guess I wouldn't know what crowded was, now would I?

Belle13

May isn't peak season, that ends April 21st. It is considered regular season, and you may be able to find some codes for discounts during that time.

We went last may...the 3rd week, and it was fabulous, weather and crowdwise. The only drawback was that they were in the middle of the worst drought in Florida's history, so the water tables were really low, many of the fountains weren't working, there was low water pressure for the drinking fountains, and there was smoke from the nearby wild fires.

I would return to WDW in May every year, if it was at all possible!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom