Best time to leave ny to wdw on a Friday

Legendary

That’s right in the middle of rush hour it won’t be a fun start to your trip. Going through Philadelphia during rush hour will definitely slow you down a bit. Good news you should be ok if you get to the DC/ Baltimore area after 10. We live in the DC area and the best time to travel past is 10-3 or late evening. DC is the worst place to sit in traffic. Suggest your plan to start your trip around driving through Baltimore/DC area after 10am. The rest of the ride should be pretty good, unless you are traveling in the summer months, there will be some beach traffic as well but in our experience not too bad. Have fun

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I have no idea what rush our traffic is like in NY, i.e., when it starts, but I prefer 6:00am flights and I aim to get at the airport around around 3:30am. At least in Massachusetts there's little traffic at that hour.

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

I would recommend getting the earliest flight possible, it's a about a 3 hour flight, so if you catch a 6 am, in theory you could be walking down Main Street by 11 am.

I live in the DC area and have done the early Southwest nonstop from BWI to MCO a couple of times. Each time, we were walking down Main Street before lunch. Love it.

Upvote 0

Legendary

I have no idea what rush our traffic is like in NY, i.e., when it starts, but I prefer 6:00am flights and I aim to get at the airport around around 3:30am. At least in Massachusetts there's little traffic at that hour.
Sorry. Didn’t know that OP was flying. Just said leave from NY to WDW.

Upvote 0

Legendary

If you are flying it all depends on how early you want to get up in the morning and what you will be doing on arrival day. 6am flight means that you need to be at the airport by 4am. That will make for an extremely long day if you will be headed straight to the parks.

Upvote 0

Bigmoose

Original Poster
That’s right in the middle of rush hour it won’t be a fun start to your trip. Going through Philadelphia during rush hour will definitely slow you down a bit. Good news you should be ok if you get to the DC/ Baltimore area after 10. We live in the DC area and the best time to travel past is 10-3 or late evening. DC is the worst place to sit in traffic. Suggest your plan to start your trip around driving through Baltimore/DC area after 10am. The rest of the ride should be pretty good, unless you are traveling in the summer months, there will be some beach traffic as well but in our experience not too bad. Have fun[/QUOTE thank u so much
That’s right in the middle of rush hour it won’t be a fun start to your trip. Going through Philadelphia during rush hour will definitely slow you down a bit. Good news you should be ok if you get to the DC/ Baltimore area after 10. We live in the DC area and the best time to travel past is 10-3 or late evening. DC is the worst place to sit in traffic. Suggest your plan to start your trip around driving through Baltimore/DC area after 10am. The rest of the ride should be pretty good, unless you are traveling in the summer months, there will be some beach traffic as well but in our experience not too bad. Have fun
thank u so much I’m okay with Traffic on the George Washington Bridge to Philadelphia i know my Way around that, That’s as far I ever Got on 95 I was more scared of the Baltimore Washington DC so I figured I leave at 6 AM driving not flying so I will be in DC area around 10 1030 or 11

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
You should be ok since you are leaving NY. We are in Northwest NJ so about an hour from the city. My husband did the drive in 16 hours when he brought our daughter home after her college program. Have a great trip and safe travels!

Pam

Upvote 0

Bigmoose

Original Poster
You should be ok since you are leaving NY. We are in Northwest NJ so about an hour from the city. My husband did the drive in 16 hours when he brought our daughter home after her college program. Have a great trip and safe travels!

Pam
Thank u so u think 6 am is fine I’ll beat the george Washington bridge traffic even if I leave at 5:30 so I guess I will get down to dc area around 10 with stops and bathroom breaks got two kids also should be after morning trafffic in dc that’s how I’m thinking

Upvote 0

Minthorne

Thank u so u think 6 am is fine I’ll beat the george Washington bridge traffic even if I leave at 5:30 so I guess I will get down to dc area around 10 with stops and bathroom breaks got two kids also should be after morning trafffic in dc that’s how I’m thinking

I always found leaving the kids at home made it easier :eek: :happy:

Upvote 0

Bigmoose

Original Poster
Tell ur husband thank u I’m in Yonkers I’ll Take the Henry Hudson toll It takes me 10 minutes to get to the George Washington Bridge

Upvote 0

RichC

Hi Bigmoose: Philly resident here. You will definitely see a slowdown getting into Philadelphia and going through to Wilmington at that time, maybe a few all-out jams. That’ll be kid’s stuff compared to DC area gridlock, though, so please time the trip to beat the DC rush.

Upvote 0

Bigmoose

Original Poster
Hi Bigmoose: Philly resident here. You will definitely see a slowdown getting into Philadelphia and going through to Wilmington at that time, maybe a few all-out jams. That’ll be kid’s stuff compared to DC area gridlock, though, so please time the trip to beat the DC rush.
Well that’s exactly what I’m thinking so gps tells me I’ll be in DC in 4 hours I do have 2 kids 2yr and 9 yr old so I know have to stop atleast once or twice puts me there by at 11 am I know that I’ll get past the GW bridge with ease most of Jersey turnpike but not familiar with Philadelphia traffic but thank you for the heads up really appreciate it

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom