Best suite for family of four

dianenk

I am starting to plan a 10-day vacation to WDW (and surrounding areas) for August of 2004. I would really like to get a suite so that the kids, who will be 10 and 7 at that time, can have some privacy. (Yeah right, more like so that my husband and I can have some privacy). What are your recommendations. I am reading the unofficial guide and it can be confusing to say the least. This will be our first trip there and I would like it to be a nice one. Right now I am looking for the best value in a suite. Don't really have any other requirements at this time since we will be there for quite a long time.

Yellow Shoes

Are you looking to stay on-site or off-site?

The Holiday Inn Family Suites off-site are highly recommended.

If you are looking at on-site Disney-owned suites, you need to plan on spending several hundred dollars per night.

At the home-away-from home resorts, a 2-bedroom villa will run (in value season)
$479 at Old Key West
$535 at Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club Villas
$545 at Boardwalk Villas

If you're looking for privacy, you're probably wanting a 2 bedroom.
(you can find the floor plans for these rooms at the Disney website)

Another option, if you're wanting to be off-site, is a vacation home. Here's what you can get for $179 per night in August.

Here is a copy/paste from the website:
Unique Floor Plan, perfect for spreading out the Family. 3 Miles from Disney!
This large 3 bedroom pool home offers room to spread out. It features a fenced-in very private pool area with Jacuzzi, fully equipped kitchen, 5 Cable TV's, 3 VCR's, Sony PlayStation, Leather sectional sofa and CD stereo system. There are two dining areas and 4 bathrooms including two full bathrooms and two half bathrooms. Less than 1 mile from a grocery store, drug store and over 5 different eating establishments.

Upvote 0
if you are wanting to stay on site you might consider a cabin at fort wilderness. if memory serves they have an enclosed bed room and then additional sleeping area in the main part. its been a long time since i stayed in one so i may be wrong.

Upvote 0

dianenk

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies. The more I have looked into this, the more I think I will probably go with adjoining rooms. My husband really wants to stay onsite, so, most likely I will be looking at the Polynesian resort or the Grand Floridian. He wants to be able to use the monorail system and get on and off at the hotel. Right now he thinks this is the most convenient. (He has no clue!) I know that there are lots of options, and I have been reading all the message boards and I really do appreciate all the help everyone gives, especially to first timers like myself. Sometimes what he wants and what is best is not the same. I have some time on my side, so in all likelyhood, after I fill him in on some things, plans may change. It is just that right now I am still in the overwhelmed stage of planning. I want to plan as much as possible but still have an enjoyable vacation, especially since this is our first time there. And there is so much information out there and even though I would love to spend all day finding it, life gets in the way. Again, thanks. I know with everybodys help, I will be able to plan a great vacation for myself and my family.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Originally posted by dianenk
He wants to be able to use the monorail system and get on and off at the hotel. Right now he thinks this is the most convenient.

The perceived convenience of the monorail comes from 2 factors:
--strollers can be wheeled onto them (as opposed to folding them down to board a bus) However, this is not a factor with your family.
--monorails come more frequently than busses (this is because they are on a shorter route, and don't have competition from other traffic ).

The monorail stop is not necessarily any closer to your room than a bus stop unless you stay in the Contemporary Tower (which wasn't one of your choices. Perhaps you want to consider it)

Remember also, that the monorail goes ONLY to MK and Epcot. For the Studios and Animal Kingdom you will have to ride a bus (or drive your own car)

And price seems not to be an object since you are considering 2 rooms at the GF, which will run around $800 per night. A 2 bedroom villa at a DVC property will be more space, you will still have 2 bathrooms, and you will have the added convenience of a kitchen and a washer and dryer in your room.

There are maps and photos of each resort at wdwig.com.

Upvote 0

dianenk

Original Poster
Thank you yellowshoes for your help. Actually, money is an issure, especially after my husband saw the rates on the accomadations. I know that I can get the best price going off site, but, most likely will stay on-site. The more I look into all of this, the more I learn, and of course the more questions I have. Right now his #1 goal is convenience. He really wants to be able to leave the parks each day and get back to our room as quickly as possible and then return later. I know that the buses, ferry, and monorail are all options, just have to decide which way to go. Again thank you very much.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Every on prop resort is convenent. The monorail is nice, but not needed. I agree it is better for people with strollers. You will do well with 2 rooms. Many people like to get to vaule rooms, with Pop Centery opening you have many choices. (this is very afordable around 150 a night for both rooms depending on the time of year.) There is also mod resorts, we love Dixie Landings (AKA PO Riverside).

DVC resorts are good things to consider. However, while 2 bedrooms are nice, I don't think you need that. 4 people can fit fine in a one bedroom. You will have 2 rooms, one with a main bedroom with king size bed, and one with a sleeper sofa, kicthen 25 inch TV with VCR or DVD player, washer and dryer, full size bathroom with jacuzi tub, shower and septerate toliet. A studio is a queen size bed, and sleeper sofa (2 queens in OKW) a small kictenette (mid size refridge, coffe maker, microwave, toster ect.. ) A 2 bedroom is a one bedroom with an ajorning studio room. The biggest are OKW, with 2 beds in the studio, but also the worst bus system of the whole WDW resorts, it is best if you have a car there.

Oh I forget, if you are planning a 10 day trip you might want at least one person to get an annual pass and hope for discounts (they can save you up to 40%, but the codes don't go out until a few months before.)

DVC is not the only suites on prop at WDW, but they are most common. I belive all the deluxe have some kind of a sweets, but they might be pricey. The most afordable would be the ones at WL (there is also Villas at Widerness Lodge)

Anyway you have lots of options, and every on Property repsort is good. You get more when you pay more, but not everyone needs more. GF is nice, but really expesive. The new AKL is a nice altertive, nicely priced and the busses run really well (you don't share with another other resort.) Wilderness lodge is close to MK, but not as pricey as some other Delxue resorts. Also don't forget the Epcot resorts (Y&B and BW) They are in walking distance to Epoct, and a boat ride away from MGM. They also have night time enteraintment right there at the boardwalk.

Last but not least, S&D are not Disney owned, but are right next to the other Epcot resorts, and use Epcot transportation. If you or husband are a teacher or goverment empolyee, look into it. They have great discounts. (some other companys have discounts there too.)

Upvote 0

Buckeye

dianenk,

In 2002, my family (5 adults, 2 children, 2 infants) stayed at Old Key West in a two bedroom suite. There was plenty of room. The cost would be less than two rooms at the Grand Floridian. In 2003, we went as a smaller group and stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. Although the Lodge was closer to the parks and had more transportation options, I did not notice much difference at all in the amount of time we spent going from park to hotel and back. I would imagine it would be even easier for you since your kids are older. :hammer:

Did any of that make any sense?

I guess what I'm attempting to say is that I don't think there is much difference "convienience-wise" with any of the Disney Resorts. The transportation is USUALLY pretty good at all of them. Good luck planning (that was my favorite part) and have a MAGICAL vacation.

Upvote 0

stevelloyd

I think the best value on the monorail is the contemporary. The rooms are just as big, the location is just as nice and the price is significantly lower. Value wise I put Contemporary 1st, Grand Floridian second and would not go back to stay at the Polynesian unless they had a great special (that you could not get at the other two). Kona cafe is a bright spot for a great meal at a great price and save room for desert!

Upvote 0

stevelloyd

In response to Buckeye: If you have small kids and the primary park is magic kingdome, then it's tough to beat the convenience of the monorail and the GF boat. One time we were leaving at midnight and the GF boat was right there...10 mins and my 3 year old was in her bed snoozin!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom