Best Restaurant at Dineyland/California Adventures

monorail_driver

Original Poster
I'm going to Disneyland in a couple of years but already makin' plans!! I've never been to Disneyland or California Adventures, only to WDW. What is the best restaurant at Disneyland / DCA that you would recommend. I'm looking for memorable places and some places that have good food but they're pretty low on the price. Thanks!!!

lebernadin

Napa Rose in the Grand Californian has one of the best reputations of any Disney Restaurant. If you're looking for memorable, then that's it.

Napa Rose is very, very good. People like the Blue Bayou in New Orleans Square. It overlooks the beginning of PoTC.

Low cost treats--Corn Dog Castle in DCA...awesome corn dogs.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
One more

Well, you have two out of three already. To add one more, consider the Vinyard Room in DCA. Its above the Wine Country Trattoria (which is a distant second for DCA).

Dining is not quite as varied as WDW.

mandib

Didn't feel like making a new thread so I thought I would ask in here. Has anyone done the dinner with Ariel and if so how was it? We were thinking about it for July. Our first time to Disneyland to.

netenyahoo

Ariel's Grotto at DCA is ok. The food isn't that spectacular, but is good. The characters are fun.

I like Redd Rockett's Space Port in Tomorrowland. The portions are big and well priced. They have pizza, pasta and salads.

I would also recommend Goofy's Kitchen if you want a character meal. That is the best one at the resort. It is at the Disneyland Hotel.

The Wharf at DCA also has a good selection of food. I like the Mexican food and the sourdough place. They are quick and cheap places to eat.

The Blue Bayou is a great themed restaurant as part of Pirates. There are many other great places in New Orleans Square.

Have a great trip!

ToTBellHop

I loved Ariel's Grotto, but I'm not much into the exotic food...just wholesome, good American food, like the pot pie at Ariel's...mmmm. I also loved Goofy's Kitchen, Hook's Pointe (great omelets!), Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian, and the ESPN Zone. I wasn't all that impressed with Blue Bayou--cramped seating, I felt, and the food wasn't my type...french toast with ham and turkey doesn't do it for me...

Taste Pilot's Grille has my favorite fast food on property (next to Soarin' over California). I also enjoyed Pacific Wharf's food. While Disneyland's food selection may not be as diverse as wdw, I like it better. It has more of the American food that I like, not some of the freaky food wdw has.

RU42

You want memorable with a slight price tag - then go for the Blue Bayou - it is an absolute must. You dine under the perpetual midnight sky, listening to the bullfrogs, the banjo in the distance, and see the boats of the PotC riders float by. It is the best themed restaurant at DLR.

I will second ISTC on Taste Pilot Grill - great burgers - way beyond just slapping meat on bread.

I hear Napa Rose is great but I believe there is a hefty price tag to go with it.

RU

lebernadin

RU42 said:
I hear Napa Rose is great but I believe there is a hefty price tag to go with it.

Its no more expensive than other restaurants that offer a similar menu. Their wine list is enough to make sure we spend an evening there the next time we're in the "OC."

Here's the winter04 menu i found online:

STARTERS

Sauteed Hand Harvested Diver Scallops with a Sauce of Lemon and Lobster, Accented with Fresh Vanilla $16.00

Skillet Fried Golden Trout on a Ragu of Pacific Clams, Leeks and Wild Rice $13.00

Oysters "Napa Rose-A-Feller" Corn Meal Fried Oyster on a Bacon & Spinach Stuffing with Spicy Red Bell Pepper Rouille $13.00

Cabernet & Olive Lamb Sausage with Potatoes, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Parsley and Arugula $13.00

Grilled Sonoma Quail with Pumpkin Polenta and Winter Mushroom Ragu $12.00

Pan Seared Foie Gras with Sweet Potatoes, Apples and a Pomegranate-Port Reduction $18.00

SIGNATURE STARTERS TO SHARE

Seven Sparkling Sins - An Array of Tantalizations Featuring Spicy Lobster, Cured Salmon, Caviar, Foie Gras Torchon, Smoked Sturgeon, Truffled Quail Egg and Cold Water Oyster for two ... $36.00

The Sizzling Beach Rock - A Combination Appetizer of Garlic Seared Shrimp, Soy Glazed Spare Ribs and Lemon Grass Chicken Cooked on a Hot Beach Stone for two... $32.00

SECOND COURSES

Spinach Salad with Smoked Duck Breast, Pears, Candied Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Cider Vinaigrette $12.00

Grilled Radicchio, Shaved Fennel, Tangerine and Arugula Salad with "Sparrow Lane" Golden Balsamic & Pine Nut Vinaigrette $11.00

Marinated Heirloom Beets, Tiny Green Beans and Watercress Salad with "Mine Shaft" Blue Cheese $9.00

Santa Barbara Field Greens with Solera Aged Sherry Vinaigrette $8.00

Farmer's Market Soup of the Day $8.00

MAIN COURSES

Pan Roasted Pacific Salmon on a Wine Country Bacon & Lobster Chowder $28.00

Grilled Columbia River Sturgeon with Duck Confit, Fingerling Potatoes and Truffle Oil $27.00

Fire Roasted Colossal Sea of Cortez Shrimp with Buttered Artichokes, Saffron, Parsley and Lemon $29.00

Pan Roasted Duck Breast with Honey Braised Fennel, Chestnut Spatzle and Blood Orange-Merlot Essence 28.00

"Country Fried" Pheasant Breast with Porcini Mushrooms, Black Kale and Potatoes $31.00

Grilled Tenderloin of Pork on a Parsnip Puree with a Dried Cherry-Pinot Noir Sauce $29.00

Slowly Braised Colorado Lamb Shank with Pappardelle Pasta, Rapini, Portobello Mushrooms and a Roasted Garlic-Cabernet Sauvignon Jus $28.00

Double Rack Chop of Venison with a Black Trumpet Mushroom-Zinfandel Sauce $36.00

Cabernet Sauvignon & Cranberry Braised Prime Beef Short Ribs with Applewood Smoked Bacon Hash and Butternut Squash $29.00

THE VINTNER'S TABLE

A Chef's Tasting Menu Celebrating Wintertime in the Wine Country (selection changes weekly)

Four Course Prix Fixe $65.00

...add Flight of Four Wines $35.00

NAPA SIDES

Sauteed Tiny Green Beans with Shiitake Mushrooms, Bacon and Toasted Garlic $7.00

Organic Brussels Sprouts Braised with Sage, Ham and Cream $7.00

Twice Baked Stuffed New Potatoes with Horseradish, Lemon and Chives $7.00

NAPA ROSE - DESSERT MENU

Scharffen Berger Chocolate Velvet Pate with Candied Hazelnut Creme

Chilled Rhubarb Soup and Coconut "Ice" with Fresh Strawberries

Tahitian Vanilla Creme Brulee with Raspberry Conserve

White Nectarine Cobbler with Lemon-Blueberry Ice Cream

White Chocolate and Banana Cheesecake with Caramel-Rum Sauce

Trio of Freshly Made Ice Cream

Manjari Chocolate Decadence Cake with Cherry-Zinfandel Sauce

All Desserts $8.00

NAPA ROSE - CHILDREN'S MENU (for age 11 and under)

Simply Buttered Noodles $7.00

Cheese Quesadilla with French Fries $7.00

Cheese Pizza with Tomato Sauce $7.00

Roasted Chicken Breast with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans $11.00

Penne Pasta with choice of a Creamy Cheese Sauce or Marinara $7.00

Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans $13.00

DESSERTS

Old Fashion Ice Cream (choice of Chocolate, Vanilla or Strawberry...scoop) $2.50

Balboa "Beach Sand" $6.50

Freshly Baked Brownie Sundae $6.50

BEVERAGES (each beverage comes in a keepsake souvenir cup) $2.50

Beverage choices include:

Coke

Diet Coke

Root Beer

Orange Soda

Sprite

Orange, Apple or Cranberry Juice

Lemonade

ToTBellHop

I tend to feel that if any meal costs as much as a day at Disneyland, it's too much lol...and I thought Hook's Pointe was a tad bit pricey!

NemoRocks78

Seized
RU42 said:
You want memorable with a slight price tag - then go for the Blue Bayou - it is an absolute must. You dine under the perpetual midnight sky, listening to the bullfrogs, the banjo in the distance, and see the boats of the PotC riders float by. It is the best themed restaurant at DLR.

And I'll second that. It's an incredible place. Food, well, not the greatest, but the theme is great.

That Napa Rose menu doesn't look that pricey. I think I'm going to have to give it a try next time I'm there. (though I may have to try to order off of the children's menu :lol: )

Best counter service restaurants, without a doubt, are Taste Pilots Grill, Red Rocketts, and the Village Haus.

LadyDarling

NemoRocks78 said:
And I'll second that. It's an incredible place. Food, well, not the greatest, but the theme is great.

That Napa Rose menu doesn't look that pricey. I think I'm going to have to give it a try next time I'm there. (though I may have to try to order off of the children's menu :lol: )

Best counter service restaurants, without a doubt, are Taste Pilots Grill, Red Rocketts, and the Village Haus.
Be aware - of all the places mentioned, Napa Rose has a dress code! Jackets for men and evening wear for women.

Other great restraunts in down town Disney that were not mentioned are:
Catal
Naples
Tortilla Joe's
Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen (for dinner especially)

The Rainforest Cafe has a great atmospher, but the food really is sub-par. My picks on any trip would be the Blue Bayou, Napa Rose, Hooks Pointe, Catal, Naples, and Toritilla Joes.
For american fare, stick with Hooks Pointe, Catal, and Napa Rose. For something more creative (yet still recognizeable to most americans) - Naples is great. The Blue Bayou's atmospher is to DIE for - but order as simply as possible (the Monte Cristo they are famous for is ONLY available at lunch, but I've had great beef tenderloin there as well, and bronze chicken). Thier desserts are EXCEPTIONAL so save room! :) Tortilla Joes is the best Mexican around! :) The Wine Trattoria in DCA is very relaxing. The service does tend to be slow, but it's nice.

If you like something fast, I agree that Paradise Peir is your best bet. There is also a Wetzle's Pretzles and Jamba juice, along with a bakery in Downtown Disney as well.

For a really memorable experience, see if you can get reservations on the balcony of the Disney Gallery to view Fantasmic. I hear they have a GREAT dessert bar up there as well.

What my hubby and I do when we're touring and want to taste different things and visit different places is to order SLOWLY. For example, we'll take about 10 minutes pickig out drinks. Then another 10 to decide if we want to order an appetizer to split or an entree to split (becuase most places serve enough for 2 - and we don't want to be stuffed becuase we want to try another place that day). Then we'll take a while deciding on dessert. This keeps you from being rushed.

NemoRocks78

Seized
LadyDarling said:
Be aware - of all the places mentioned, Napa Rose has a dress code! Jackets for men and evening wear for women.

Even better--I like wearing jackets. (yes, it's true.....I even wore a full suit at school one time when there was a "dress down day.") :lookaroun :lol:

Forgot about Downtown Disney. ESPN Zone has a great atmosphere and great food. I'm not so crazy about the food at Rainforest Cafe, though it has a nice atmosphere.

I've heard nothing but good things about Tortilla Jo's as well, so I'm looking forward to that one.

WendyOkada

Yummies at DL/DCA

netenyahoo said:
I like Redd Rockett's Space Port in Tomorrowland. The portions are big and well priced. They have pizza, pasta and salads.

ITA! For DL, Redd Rockett's is my fave. You can order a salad and pasta and they're large enough to split between two-three people. Soooo tasty (the fusilli is my fave).

For DCA, I love Taste Pilot's Grill - they make an awesome bleu cheese burger. Mmmmmmmmm. And fun happy face fries :slurp:

Another yummy fast food place is Cocina Cucamonga (in the food court-y area)... really yummy pork nachos. Hearty enough for a whole meal.

I really miss Soap Opera Bistro though... it had awesome food and a honey glazed salmon to die for. Alas, it's Playhouse Disney now. My 2 year old is happier but her mom misses the salmon... ha ha. :lol:

In DTD, good places are La Brea Bakery (surprisingly delicious for dinner), Naples (yummy salmon) and House of Blues (although on concert nights, it can get noisy - try to sit away from the performance area, or go during off hours if you want to be able to talk to the people you're with.

HTH and Enjoy!

ToTBellHop

I know I'm in the minority, but I really didn't like the Monte Cristo...french toast with turkey and ham just tasted weird...

Smee

Just ate at Blue Bayou, great atmosphere and good food. You can request a table on the water and you will have to wait a little longer.

We had a very good meal at Wine Country Trattoria in CA. Loved the lasagna, very reasonable prices.

We watched Fantasmic with the dessert package from the POC balcony. Great view of the show and the desserts were delicious. A little pricey, $49 per head if I remember. Reserve early to get a front row seat although all seats were good viewing for the show.

Ariel's Grotto was very enjoyable, sat outside and took in the PP atmosphere. Good food, good character time.

Goofy's Kitchen character breakfast was good, fairly standard buffet with some extra kid oriented dishes.

If you like hot dogs, Award Wieners has a good variety.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom