Best Resort Room for Family of 5?!

CaptainAmerica

Thank you! We looked into the Cabins....not sure we want to "feel" like were camping at Disney...this might just be my impression, though. Are the cabins and grounds more of a campground feel, or hotel feel?
The cabins themselves feel like standalone DVC villas, they're not cabin-y at all. The grounds of Fort Wilderness feel like a very upscale campground, but that resort has more recreation opportunities that anywhere else on property. They have horse stables and all sorts of cool activities.

CaptainAmerica

Also might want to consider one of the deluxes with larger rooms like the GF or Yacht and beach clubs. They have two queen beds and a daybed which is pretty comfortable.
Those daybeds aren't much of an upgrade over the fold-downs at Alligator Bayou. Going to a single deluxe room would be slightly more square footage but it really wouldn't help their sleeping situation IMO.

durangojim

Those daybeds aren't much of an upgrade over the fold-downs at Alligator Bayou. Going to a single deluxe room would be slightly more square footage but it really wouldn't help their shopping situation IMO.
I realize that but sometimes just having more space or square footage in a room can make things feel less crowded and for the price they’d pay for a villa or family suite they could probably stay at a deluxe. Just depends on what they’re looking for.

Tom P.

The biggest downside of doing connecting rooms is that you are not guaranteed to get them. You are not even guaranteed that your rooms will be close to each other. Disney will do their best to accommodate you, but it's still not a guarantee.

I highly recommend the family suites at Art of Animation. To me, that doesn't "feel" like a value resort room. They are very spacious. The two full bathrooms makes a big difference with a large family.

awoogala

We usually stay at Contemporary garden rooms. But, now that our kids are teens, we've done POR and this year AOA nemo suites. POR was ok- didn't love the resort or style, flip down bed was fine for our super petite girl, but I don't know about a taller or larger kid , and the room felt crowded- and we're only 4. The AOA nemo suite was fantastic. Lots of room, mini kitchen (microwave/sink/fridge/bowls and spoons/coffee maker, full table w/chairs). 2 BATHROOMS- which made such a difference! Plus we had a real bedroom, away from the teens. The kids each got a full, real bed. I'd vote for that suite option again (unless you go with renting dvc points for a 1 bedroom). Id stay there again- my only real complaint is that the darn pool has no slide or hot tub.

Tom P.

OH! Wow...not connecting to each other's rooms?!!! I would not like that, my kids are on the younger tweens, would not want them "on their own" at night. Looking into AoA - thank you!
If you book two rooms, they will make you register an adult in each room. Of course, they won't be there every minute to monitor who sleeps where, but the expectation is that there would be one adult in each room.

Given the fact that the AoA suites really are no more in price than paying for two separate value rooms, and that you're all guaranteed to be together, I think it's a no-brainer. And they really are nice rooms. Our family has stayed in them twice and have been completely satisfied.

Also, although AoA doesn't have all the same amenities that a moderate or deluxe resort would have, it is still an awesome resort with lots of cool stuff to do. The Big Blue Pool is really nice and the arcade is awesome. I also really like their food court. There is no table service restaurant there, but the food court has a lot more variety than you might expect to find at a typical quick service location.

SaltyD

AoA is great for a family of 5! The 2 bathrooms are key, and there's plenty of room to spread out in. Plus it's really nice to have the suite feel -master bedroom for the parents to sleep alone :) You can request any theming you want, or you can book without requesting a theme if you're happy getting whatever when you check in.

And the foodcourt at AoA has great food and a great selection of different types of food :)

Tom P.

Thank you so much for your informative response! I really appreciate it! I looked and saw the themed rooms...any recommendations there? Each one could be good for us...as we love all three of the movies - Cars, Lion King & Nemo! So? Leaning toward Cars...can you request which theme you want? Or is it luck of the draw?
You can book a specific theme category that you want or you can just select a generic "family suite" and they will assign you to whatever is available at check-in. So you can pick your preference or let them surprise you.

The Nemo suites seem to be in highest demand, likely because they are closest to the main building and around the main pool, so they tend to be priced slightly higher. However, we really like the Cars suites personally and the resort is small enough that you're never really too far away from the main building (e.g., food court, arcade, bus stops, etc.) regardless of which section you're in. There is also a parking lot area near each section, so if you have a car, you'll never have to park it too far from the section you're staying in.

TiggerDad

Given the fact that the AoA suites really are no more in price than paying for two separate value rooms, and that you're all guaranteed to be together, I think it's a no-brainer. And they really are nice rooms. Our family has stayed in them twice and have been completely satisfied.
I picked a random day a few weeks out and All Star rooms were $112 and AOA suites $348. That's not really comparable in price. While connecting rooms are not guaranteed, we have always been accommodated. There are downsides, such as magic bands only open the door to the room you are assigned to, and if you have a meal plan they are separate pools of meals. But for over $100 a night you have to at least consider it.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Just a general comment? "Sleeps 5" is a lot like that Freeze Dried Backpacking Food that says "Feeds 4" :).

Yes, it might... but PLEASE examine where the 5 are sleeping? Long ago, I too could sleep on just about anything :).
Check out the ROOM descriptions?

Dave B

The biggest downside of doing connecting rooms is that you are not guaranteed to get them. You are not even guaranteed that your rooms will be close to each other. Disney will do their best to accommodate you, but it's still not a guarantee.

I highly recommend the family suites at Art of Animation. To me, that doesn't "feel" like a value resort room. They are very spacious. The two full bathrooms makes a big difference with a large family.
My question to you is, do you know of anyone hat has not gotten that request? We do not.... just saying, now if you are being incredibly specific with a certain building, certain floor, certain location ( corner), early check in, etc. then I can see if you don't get the request, if you request just the adjoining and nothing else, you will get it from our experience and it is A LOT cheaper than a suite at AoA

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom