Best resort for young families

Bodyfather

Original Poster
Looking at no more expensive than moderate, would art of animation be the best bet with young kids or can anyone recommend anywhere different?

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I would say it really depends on how many children you have and what their favorite movies/ Disney characters are if you want to take that into account. Pop is great with the price and location, the Skyliner will be opening very soon and having the added transportation to Epcot and HS will be great! AoA is great if you little ones LOVE the little mermaid. If you plan on getting a suite then there is also Finding Nemo, Lion King, and Cars options. How much time do you plan on spending at the hotel? If it's very little I would stick with a value like AoA, Pop, or All Star Movies. If you want to have more space and a water slide in the pool, then Caribbean Beach would be nice as well!

Weather_Lady

"Best with young kids" depends on what you want for them. If you're looking for super-kid-friendly theming, then something like Art of Animation (Little Mermaid standard rooms only, since the suites are going to cost more than a moderate resort) might be appealing.

In my opinion, however, the best thing you can do with young kids is to limit long walks on little legs at the end of the night (which the Art of Animation Little Mermaid rooms won't do, since they're far from the buses). If that's the goal, then my recommendations would be Port Orleans French Quarter (the only moderate with a small footprint, although the theming is more adult), or any other moderate in a preferred room category (which will put you closer to the main building/check-in/food court for each resort - Caribbean Beach is a colorful choice with a great pool) -- keeping in mind, however, that a preferred room will cost significantly more.

Another option, if you have the time to book 7-11 months ahead, the ability to pay in full, and certainty about your travel dates as you'll get no refund for canceling, would be to rent DVC points (e.g., through David's Vacation Rentals or the DVC Rental Store) and stay in a standard studio at Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge. Both of them, on rented points, will typically cost you less than a moderate at rack rate, and each offers lovely theming that appeals to all ages.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
AOA is actually my least favorite value resort.
From other posts it sounds like there are only 3 of you so a suite would be completely unnecessary and expensive and the LM standard rooms are a very long hike.

If staying value I'd recommend POP or ASMovies.

If staying moderate I'd recommend POR.
The walls are a bit thicker than in value resorts making it easier to sleep with little ones.

AndyS2992

Pop Century, Art of Animation and All Star Movies all come to mind due to all being themed around characters and movies, if looking for more expensive then Port Orleans has princess themed 'Royal rooms' and the Caribbean beach has pirate themed rooms as options other than their standard rooms.

Club Cooloholic

Looking at no more expensive than moderate, would art of animation be the best bet with young kids or can anyone recommend anywhere different?
So I thought Art Of Animation was too hectic for my family. The pool was super crowded, there just wasn't a lot of room to roam around, or shade for that matter. I think either of the Port Orleans Resorts would be great. Lots of character, lots of shade and room in Riverside, and equal amounts of character plus short walks to everything at the French Quarter.

Gaston's gal

If your children like a specific Disney character, then I would pick a resort that may have that character. Otherwise, I would say Pop is a great choice

jaklgreen

I am not a big fan of the value resorts. The rooms are smaller, there is not much shade at the pools or in line for the buses. All of the resorts at WDW are "kid friendly". I would not plan a trip based on what a small child thinks is "better", they don't see things for what they really are. And trust me, your kids will love any resort that you stay at. One of our favorites is POFQ because of it's smaller size. Walking to/from your room to the bus stops or food court takes no time at all. And it is centrally located making the bus rides not too long to 3 out of the 4 parks and you can't beat the boat ride to Disney Springs. POR is very nice also, just a bit bigger. Book your stay according to what YOU would be most comfortable in and your kids will be happy if you are.

Last edited:

Bodyfather

Original Poster
Pop Century, Art of Animation and All Star Movies all come to mind due to all being themed around characters and movies, if looking for more expensive then Port Orleans has princess themed 'Royal rooms' and the Caribbean beach has pirate themed rooms as options other than their standard rooms.

With the all star resorts being on one bus loop to the parks, is there a set way around they do the trips. As in will they always drop off at movies first and pick up last?

I would choose Port Orleans French Quarter, not necessarily for its theming, but for the fact that it is the smallest resorts at WDW. That means you'll have so much less walking to do to get from your room to the main building. It also mean you'll have less people staying at the resort which means a more peaceful experience. I find when staying with young children how far you have to walk makes a big difference, especially when its raining or the kid is asleep in your arms.

This resort only has one bus stop which is the best. That means no waiting for the bus to circle around the resort to pick up/drop off more passengers like at the other moderate/value resorts. And since there are less people at this resort, there is usually always room on the bus to sit which is great when traveling with strollers.

The resort is quite beautiful too. It has charming courtyards with fountains and cobble stone roads, and a gorgeous walking paths along the Sassagoula River. It has a a kids park, a huge pool with a slide emerging from a sea serpent for the older kids, and a huge splash zone for the young ones to play in. It has movies under the stars, a campfire every night and a boat that brings you to Disney Springs. You can also use all the facilities at Port Orleans Riverside, its sister resort. The Mardi gras theme is fun and colourful and my kids loved the Sea Serpent Slide.

I know that when my kids were younger, my family preferred this resort to the other resorts we stayed at including: All Star Music Resort (value), Coronado Springs (moderate) and POR (moderate).

HouCuseChickie

Space and transportation ease always won for me when my kids were younger. If I were in that boat today and picking between values and mods, I'd be trying to decide between Pop, POFQ and CBR. CBR and POFQ are going to give you bigger rooms...CBR is going to give you gondola access...and POFQ is going to give you boat access to DS along with greater ease with buses due to its smaller size. Pop is going to give you gondola service as well as space, since you can put up the murphy bed to give you a little more room when the bed is not in use.

Joeamc

I am a DVC member so I mainly stay at DVC resorts, buy once in a while I find myself "out of points" so I will stay at the other Disney resorts on cash. The best moderate resort I have experienced, and I have experienced a few, has been the Port Orleans French Quarter. Its size is so convenient, and also its location, or "drive time" whether it be buses, uber, or your own car to all the parks is great!!. The theming at the resort is wonderful, including, but not limited to the New Orleans food options at the resort. The pool is great. The live entertainment is fantastic. Overall, its an "Awesome"place for "kids"of all ages!

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

A vote for AoA here...if the kiddos (and mom & dad) want to be immersed 24/7 in everything Disney, AoA is my recommendation. Yes, it IS more expensive than a suite at All Stars, but I think it's a much nicer resort. If you're going for a suite, the Finding Nemo buildings are on both sides of the Big Blue Pool and closest to the dining and buses. Second and third choices would be Cars and Lion King. If you're looking for a standard room, Little Mermaid is the furthest from everything...I'd go across the Hourglass Lake and stay at POP.

SyracuseDisneyFan

Another vote in favor of AoA here. The theme was cool. I did like to go out and take pictures. Also, I feel like there was a lot to choose from in the food court (Landscape of Flavors).

John park hopper

Stayed with the granddaughters at POFQ their 4 and 6 year old they loved the pool. I like POFQ small one bus stop. There were enough kids the granddaughters found to play with at the pool. Have never stayed at AoA or POP so I can't make a comparison.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom