Best of WDW!

Purple413

Hmm.. I don't think I've ever had anything spicy in WDW.. And I've eaten at San Angel many many times. I guess they don't want people to get stomach issues while on vacation!

Purple413

I actually really love San Angel - but my husband doesn't like it there... I'm really looking forward to the new restaurant. Hopefully it will give Mexican food a better name in WDW. And maybe some spicier additions? :shrug:

lebeau

That's too bad. No wonder a lot of people dislike San Angel. There's nothing worse than bland mexican food, IMHO.

I won't pretend to be an expert, but it is my understanding that authentic Mexican food isn't particularily spicy. The spicier food that most people think of when they think of Mexican food is actually Tex-Mex.

Again, not an expert. But that's what I've been told.

wdwwdeagle

I won't pretend to be an expert, but it is my understanding that authentic Mexican food isn't particularily spicy. The spicier food that most people think of when they think of Mexican food is actually Tex-Mex.

Again, not an expert. But that's what I've been told.
I wonder about that, too. I've seen that comment somewhere before (maybe on this forum???). Anyway, I've only been to mexico once, and that was at an all-inclusive so I wouldn't consider it an "authentic" experience. The only "mexican" food I had there that I remember was guacamole -- it was amazing, though!

I wonder if someone could answer these questions (phonedave???):
a) when you go to a cheap mexican restaurant in your town (say, Atlanta), and it's run by a mexican family (not a chain), and the cooks are mexican, are they serving you tex-mex food? Are they serving dumbed-down (americanized) mexican? Or would that be considered authentic mexican? You know, a typical mexican restaurant where they bring out salsa and chips and you get enchiladas or burritos with refried beans and rice; where the salsa is spicy, but everything else is bland.

b) what style of food do they serve in Albuquerque and Santa Fe? Would that be mexican or tex-mex? I've always called that mexican, too, but what I ate there was nothing like what I've eaten in the restaurants described in "a" above. Soooo much better! It was incredible, and had actual spices and green chile sauces (or red if you wanted it really spicy). It was so, so good, and it was spicy.

and finally, can I get either "a" style food or "b" style food in WDW?

rkelly42

Hmmm... this is a tough one but I will go with the Spicy Tuna rolls at Teppan Edo. Other than the wings at Espn at the boardwalk cant think of anything else.

stlbobby

I've run across very little spicy food in WDW. The only thing I can thing of off the top of my head was wasabi at sushi venues.

Phonedave

I wonder about that, too. I've seen that comment somewhere before (maybe on this forum???). Anyway, I've only been to mexico once, and that was at an all-inclusive so I wouldn't consider it an "authentic" experience. The only "mexican" food I had there that I remember was guacamole -- it was amazing, though!

I wonder if someone could answer these questions (phonedave???):
a) when you go to a cheap mexican restaurant in your town (say, Atlanta), and it's run by a mexican family (not a chain), and the cooks are mexican, are they serving you tex-mex food? Are they serving dumbed-down (americanized) mexican? Or would that be considered authentic mexican? You know, a typical mexican restaurant where they bring out salsa and chips and you get enchiladas or burritos with refried beans and rice; where the salsa is spicy, but everything else is bland.

b) what style of food do they serve in Albuquerque and Santa Fe? Would that be mexican or tex-mex? I've always called that mexican, too, but what I ate there was nothing like what I've eaten in the restaurants described in "a" above. Soooo much better! It was incredible, and had actual spices and green chile sauces (or red if you wanted it really spicy). It was so, so good, and it was spicy.

and finally, can I get either "a" style food or "b" style food in WDW?

Oooooh, I have a reputation :) Thank you, I am flattered - really.

I will go with my somewhat limited knowledge of Mexican (or South American) food.

1) We had a Mexican place here that was the biggest dive you could picture. From the leaking ceiling, to the cracked tiles, to the bathrooms that you dared not enter, to the fact it was a BYOB and people would come in with honest to goodness COOLERS full of beer for dinner. (large coolers too). This place was a combination of the "dumbed down" and the authentic. They made everything from scratch and all fresh. They had your run of the mill Tex-Mex stuff, burritos / tacos / enchiladas. But they also had a wonderful chicken mole, some very nice tamales, and a bunch of other stuff. None of which was really spicy, it had some heat, but more flavor than heat. However it came with sauce. Sauce consisted mainly of peppers, vinegar, salt, and cilantro that went for a ride in the blender. It varied from day to day to batch to batch depending on the pepper and the person making it. Sometimes it would melt your fillings out.

2) Having said that, it is my experience that Mexican food, and South American food in general changes every 5 miles you travel. I have had foods that people from South America have never heard of, or have called them something different their entire life. If I had to categorize Mexican food into one group I would have to say strong flavored, as opposed to spicy. That strong flavor may indeed be spicy, but it could also be sweet, or a variety of other spices (cinnamon, chocolate, onion, garlic, etc) but it is anything but bland. I don't know if San Angel Inn is authentic, but I can say if they served up a spicy combination platter they would NOT be authentic. It is almost like trying to open a place that serves "American Food" Do you put brain sandwiches on the menu? How about disco fries? Or a five-way? What is the correct BBQ to but on the menu - pork of beef? Tomato or vinegar based sauce? There are too many choices.

3) However, I do like spicy food. Well spicy food with flavor, not just heat. However I have yet to find any at WDW.

-dave

Figment632

Original Poster
Good morning WDWmrs todays item will be soup were in WDW is the best soup?

New comers dont be afraid to contribute to older topics!

The best soup I have ever had in WDW was the Butter Nut Squash at The California Grill.

wdwwdeagle

My soup vote: I really enjoyed the french onion soup at Chefs de France.

Back to yesterday...
Thanks for the mexi-rundown, phonedave. Interesting thoughts. I think you are right on with your point about flavors/dishes changing as you head down the road a piece. I just wish I could find "New Mexico" food somewhere besides New Mexico!

I've been toying with making a lunch reserv. at San Angel for weeks, and I've finally taken the plunge for our trip later this month. The menu looks so interesting, and despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews, I've just got to check it out for myself (kind of like driving by to see a neighborhood where a tornado went through -- you know you're going to regret it, but you just can't resist). And no matter what happens, I'm certain I'll at least enjoy the margarita! I figure, if the food's really bad, I'll order a second marg. and get soused, so either way, it'll turn out to be a successful meal! cheers!

Phonedave

Good morning WDWmrs todays item will be soup were in WDW is the best soup?

New comers dont be afraid to contribute to older topics!

The best soup I have ever had in WDW was the Butter Nut Squash at The California Grill.

I have to put up two

Atrist Point - Smoky Portabello Soup

San Angel Inn - Sopa Azteca

-dave

SuzieN

Potato Leek soup from Biergarten - in fact, I e-mailed for the recipe a couple of years ago and make it often!

runners-up are the BLT soup from Sci-Fi and the Canadian Cheddar Cheese soup from Le Cellier

EvilQueen-T

i really love the cheddar cheese soup from le cellier but had the worst soup ever at the grand floridian cafe (it was their cheese soup...tasted like salty chez whiz gag cough gag lol).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom