Best of Downtown Disney Hotels

wee-haggis

Original Poster
Can anyone tell us their opinion of the best Downtown Disney hotel? We would like a hotel close to DTD which also has a good view of lake?
Thanks

BRER STITCH

I can't speak for all of the Hotels, but I have stayed at the Hilton numerous times while traveling for work.

It's a great Hotel directly across the street (and an easy walk) to Downtown Disney Marketplace and Pleasure Island.
The service and accommodations are well above average and they have nice grounds to take an evening stroll. Bus transportation to the Parks ran every half hour at morning and evening, and hourly throughout the afternoon, I believe.

One Hotel I can definitely speak out AGAINST is the Double Tree down the road. I had to extend my stay by 3 days once and the Hilton was sold out for those nights so they transferred me down the road to the Double Tree and I hated it. Though you have the added benefit of a "suite" with wetbar, living area, etc., I found the Hotel itself to be less than pleasing both aesthetically and maintenance-wise. The halls and room also smelled of "old Hotel mold", which was overwhelming at times.

Try the Hilton. Avoid the DoubleTree.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!

:sohappy:

wee-haggis

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the info. Especially the warning, we will take note of that for sure. The Hilton sounds good.

careship

The only one I know anything about is the Wyndam Palace Resort and Spa....

I have a son with horrible allergies and asthma. One year we decided to go on a whim and couldn't get into a WDW Resort hotel except a deluxe. SO we opted to stay at the Wyndam as they have what they call EverGreen Rooms. These rooms provide filtered air and water. They are cleaned extremely well, not a smidgen of dust or anything. They are for allergy prone people. I suggest these for anyone with really bad allergies and asthma. I wish the WDW Resorts would have rooms like this actually. I think there are less then 100 of these rooms in the hotel so if you need one, request it.

Well, in my opinion I love the Grosvenor Resort. Sometimes people have flamed this place for various reasons, but this place has plenty of great points. It is so very close to DTD. Only have to cross a street. Also, if you are in the pool/spa at midnight, you can watch the fireworks from the pool (great experience). Also, the price has been very good to me over the last 3 years from Expedia, especially this year. I have been to Best Western before (the one in DTD) and it has great veiws of Epcot and DTD. But my pick is Grosvenor.

careship

Originally posted by MonorailBlack
Well, in my opinion I love the Grosvenor Resort. Sometimes people have flamed this place for various reasons, but this place has plenty of great points. It is so very close to DTD. Only have to cross a street. Also, if you are in the pool/spa at midnight, you can watch the fireworks from the pool (great experience). Also, the price has been very good to me over the last 3 years from Expedia, especially this year. I have been to Best Western before (the one in DTD) and it has great veiws of Epcot and DTD. But my pick is Grosvenor.

Isn't that where they have the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre or some such thing? That was very nice. We went and saw that last year or so. I know when I still lived with my parents and we stayed at Fort WIlderness our favorite escape was Giraffe's. I think that is at the Royal Plaza. I may be getting the two of them mixed up though.

Yes, you are right! It has the Murder Mystery Dinner, but I have never gone. What is that like? That most be interesting! I like the Downtown Disney resorts a lot.

careship

Originally posted by MonorailBlack
Yes, you are right! It has the Murder Mystery Dinner, but I have never gone. What is that like? That most be interesting! I like the Downtown Disney resorts a lot.

Here's a write up about it....

http://travel.go2orlando.com/top/1,1419,G-CDV-WhereToEatArticles-X!PlaceDetail-855,00.html

It's an all-u-can-eat prime rib buffet. It was when I was there. It's about $30-$40 a person but well worth it. You can win prizes and everything.

There was a special kids buffet area if you have kids. I thought I read somewhere this is their 10th year doing it. It sells out fast and think they only do it on Saturdays. Oh and beer or wine is included in the buffet for those who are drinkers.

Just like with the shows at WDW Resorts...reserve early. We reserved it about 6 months in advance we went for our anniversary. It is something to try. I suggest it to everyone. By the way, we weren't staying there at the hotel. They get people from all over in there for the show. So don't think you have to be staying there for the show.

Yecats

We had a fun time at the Murder Mystery Show when we went last Dec. 2002. The show is corny and is going on the entire time that your eating but it was worth it in our opinion. The food was very good and we enjoyed the atmosphere. We got discounted tickets through Ticketmania (I think they wer $33 at that time).

As for a good hotel, my choice would be the Hilton or the Wyndham. Both are very nice. If you want a great view of the lake, then you need a tower room (12 and above) at the Wyndham overlooking DTD. Great view of the fireworks too. Hilton is very nice but is only 10 stories (my room didn't really overlook the DTD property). We have had a nice time at both of those hotels.

P.S. - check out a site called biddingfortravel as both of those hotels purchase off of Priceline for very nice prices. I am going to WDW in Nov. and am doing one night off prop. and will attempt to get Hilton or Wyndham for $60-65 for the night. You can't beat the price.

alicenwondrland

DD hotels

Well we stayed for alittle over 2 weeks at the DoubleTree at Downtown Disney and we had no issues we were very happy and got a great deal thru Mousesavers.com ( we were on the 4th floor at the end of the hall) the food was great and the pool was nice, our room was really nice and cleaned everyday
Kelly

disneydawg

We stayed at the Grosvenor 2 yrs ago. Nice, but make sure you get a tower room. We had a view of Downtown Disney. Staff was nice, they have a couple of restaurants which we didnt eat at. There is a little place by the entrance to pick up a quick bite to eat which was handy when we were off to the parks in the morning. I have to say that if you plan on going to PI or enjoying the nightlife this is a great place to stay. Its right across the street from DTD so there is no need to wait for a bus back to a resort or have a designated driver.

Damico

Hi (i'm new) i looked at this post and my family will be staying at the Grovenor Resort this december for the first time. Was wondering if you could answer a couple questions for me.

1 Do they do the fireworks at night there still even though its in the winter time and are the pools/spa opened?(first time down in the winter usually stayed during the summer)

2 From what i read they state they have there own transportation to the parks is it easier to use there's or is it easier to use disney's still?

3 My mom got a really good discount from hoteldisscount.com but it says only a standard room would that be automatically a courtyard room or could it be a tower room? If its a court yard room could we ask for a tower room for no extra cost?

4 Any other advice?

1- I believe Pleasure Island does nightly fireworks everyday, but I am not sure

2- The bueses are pretty easy to use, but they pull into parking spaces near the Disney Hotel stops. The Magic Kingdom stop is at TTC

3-Most likely is a wing/courtyard room. The tower rooms usually will say Tower.

4- Enjoy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom