Best Moderate Resort?

mickey merrills

We're going back in June ('04) and we're on a budget (don't you hate that word?) 'cause we just bought a new house. We have stayed at POR in the past and would repeat, but I'd like to know what you think about CS and CB (I think PFQ is out of the question because of rehab). We have two DS's (9 & 7) and we're going for 9 days to make the most of the parks and the resort. (DH is NOT a fan of the so-called "budget" hotels) What do YOU think is our best bet?:animwink:

Jajo

We really enjoyed Cornado. It's in a great location and great themeing. Be careful though and try to get a room near the main building. The walk can be long.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

Caribbean Beach is definately my favourite moderate. The food court is excellent; it has everything you could want; pizza, pasta, chicken, hamburgers, salad, cookies, pastries, etc. They even have a sit down restaurant. The decorations are very vibrant and festive. The music is great. This resort has a lot of atmosphere. My favourite building is Martinique 26. It's very close to Old Port Royale.

Upvote 0

GoofyFan1

My vote is for the Caribbean Beach. The atmosphere was great. Plenty of choices at the food court. If walking is a big deal, ask for a room close to Port Royale or a bus stop.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

NashvilleMouse

I have been to the Caribbean and the (old) Dixie Landings. I thnk the Caribbean has a great romantic atmosphere. There are hammocks around the complex that is nice to lay back in and there are a lot of neat trails around the complex. GoofyFan is right, it has a great atmosphere. It is definitely worth the trip.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

I rave about Caribbean Beach every chance I get---perform a search if you'd like.

It's very romantic, yet kid friendly. The theme is tremendously pulled off, especially in the twilight and eveing hours. The food court has it all and is incredibly themed. It is hugely colorful, every aspect of the Resort, and the whole place, including the rooms underwent some heavy refurbishment last year. It's peaceful and beautiful. What can I say except we love it there--I hope so after 10 separate stays!!

Any other Qs, just ask! We even request a specific room!!

Don

Upvote 0

iluvstitch

I'm staying at CBR for the 3 rd time at the end of May, I also love the atmosphere of CBR and think it's a great value. For 9 days in a preferred location room w/ AAA rate w/taxes, I'm paying $1,000, so I think its a pretty good deal. With AP rates (hopefully) it will be a bit less. -Steph

Upvote 0

JBSLJames

We have booked out first WDW visit at the CBR (11/04). From reading the "tip" books, it seemed like the best moderate choice for a family. Can't wait. What is the best building for minimizing the walk to the busses and the food court? How far in advance can you request a building? Can you walk to any other attractions or is bus/car the only way to get around?

Thanks for the response.

Upvote 0

kosherkid411

Definatly stay at CBR or and of the Dixie LLandings.

The Coronado Springs is nice, but it is designed for business travelers. There is a 10% qratuity added you your bill at the fast food area (Pepper Market).

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

The closest islands are Martinique and Trinidad North. Any room from those buildings are no more than a 5 min stroll. For a much more enjoyable walk, yet slightly longer for about a 7 minute stroll, stay in Aruba of Jamaica. They are located across the lake overlooking Old Port Royale, the main place. It's more peaceful over there and you get to walk through a very tropical island complete with parrots, hidden pirate cannons and alligators(these being fake of course), and have steel drum music playing. The island is connected by two unique walking bridges.

Either area of the Resort you stay at, you will enjoy it.

And, yes, busses transport you everywhere, and its a very very short ride to MGM and Epcot.

Upvote 0

barnebd5

I like Port Orleans: Riverside, formely known as Dixie Landings, different name but still the same great atmoshpere and and the foor court is good to:D .

I also like Carribean Beach.

Upvote 0

Glasgow

You are on a "budget" and you're going for 9 days?? I wish I was on your "budget"!

:lol:

I've also enjoyed CBR, although I'm probably biased since I got engaged on one of those benches around the lake :)

Upvote 0

Ames0097

CBR is nice. We stayed in Jamaica, short walk and very private but I wasn't impresse. Food Court was kinda messy and buses were extremely slow. And our air conditioner leaked all over the carpet. I did love the decor though.

CS is one of my favs. We stayed in Cabana 9A. Short walk to main building and pool. Quiet pool right out our door and bus stop very near. The "food court" is sooooo good and lots of different non Disney items i.e. chicken strips and pizza.

And yes they do add a gratuity to your bill but I do recall it being some kind of waitservice. As far as the business end of things, you don't see the conference center unless you take a walk, I didn't run into any businesspersons either.

Upvote 0

LivefortheMouse

Well my favorite moderate is port orleans but if i have to choose between caribbean and coronado i choose caribbean beach resort . This resort is wonderful u could even spend one whole day or to at teh resort and not be bored they have lots of water attractions and an awesome pool. the theme is wonderful u really feel like if ur in a caribbean island and the food court is just great. You will love this resort. have fun on ur trip.:)

Upvote 0

mccaulej

I would have to go with the Caribbean Beach Resort. I have stayed there 6 times and have not had one bad moment ever!! It is a beatiful place and I would most definitley return. I have also stayed at Coronado and, don't get me wrong it is a beautiful resort and I love the themeing, however the convention aspect can get in the way. Both times I have stayed there, there were major conventions happening at the same time. Both times, these people were extremely loud and unpleasant. Making the whole place just lose it's distinctive charm. The way these guys would get drunk and act all crazy talking about how great it was to be away from their wives and families and talking about the "score" they had last night was just sickening. I understand that few "conventioneers" are like that, but it just makes me want to stay as far away from that place as I possibly can for any future trips. Also, another time, the baggage handlers "lost " my brand new leather jacket as they were taking my bags to our room. How that happened I'll never know, but the manager did reimburse us for the value and I was able to buy a new one. Disney magic at work. So, I don't blame Coronado at all, it's just the possibility that this could happen everytime I go there due to the convention being attached is just too much of a risk. Never stayed at Port Orleans, however we do visit there quite often and find it very beautiful and romantic. It's a great place to rent surrey bikes:sohappy: Hope this helps!!

Upvote 0

jojoyner55

I have done CBR and Dixie Landings ( I can't bring myself to think of it as POR). I would definately go with Dix...POR. CBR is nice, but for me POR is nicer. The carefully manicurred grounds, the fact that everything is closer (CBR is huge) are the deciding factors. Now, if the beach is your thing, go with CBR. Honestly, you can't lose with either:D

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

I like Port Orleans the Best. I've only stayed at Riverside, but often go over to the French Quarter.

I like POR the best because of all there is to do. You can spend the day fishing, boating, or just walking around the trails. The pool is a lot of fun as well.

If you go to Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island at night, it's not a far bus trip, and you can also take the boats.

There's also a good nightlife there! On the weekends (I've never been there during the week) they have a cool bar, with piano player who is a lot of fun! The bartenders aren't cheap with the good stuff either!

The rooms are fun, and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat!

Just my 2 cents!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom