Best deluxe resort to stay in during a hurricane especially if the parks close?

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I've been in the last two weeks of August a number of times now and only once was there a hurricane but it was on that was off the coast and then hit higher up states so really all we saw was 20-30mph wind and no rain.

This storm just got me thinking which is the best deluxe to stay in during the hurricane as far as what type of entertainment and food/drink options and just overall atmosphere?

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I think AKL Jambo could hold folks the best. One negative is that quick service is technically outside but I think that would just be worked around with food available maybe in the lobby or nearby. AKL also has an indoors kids club / community hall. Overall I just feel Jambo would absorb crowds best and allow folks to spread out better than WL. But WL would be my second choice!

Marionnette

I agree WL or AKL (Jambo, not Kidani). I would also add CR (main tower, not the Garden Wing) and RIV because they are also contained within one building and have multiple food options. RIV has the advantage of being completely DVC, so you're guaranteed to have at least a microwave to heat food. WL and Jambo also have DVC rooms but not all of their rooms are DVC.

LeighM

I would suggest the Destino Tower at Coronado Springs. Everything you want is interior and it's cheaper than Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary and a little less than Animal Kingdom Lodge. If I go again during hurricane season, I would chose AKL or Destino.

nickys

Premium Member
I think AKL Jambo could hold folks the best. One negative is that quick service is technically outside but I think that would just be worked around with food available maybe in the lobby or nearby. AKL also has an indoors kids club / community hall. Overall I just feel Jambo would absorb crowds best and allow folks to spread out better than WL. But WL would be my second choice!
The community hall is at Kidani. And I don’t know if there is a way to bring food from The Mara to the lobby without going outside - maybe the kitchen has access though. But there are activities and a great lounge.

I would say either the Yacht Club, where are restaurants and lounges which take care of the food. Or the Contemporary (but not BLT).

WL would be fine if you were staying at WL or the “regular” CCV villas, not so good if you’re at BRV or the cabins.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
The community hall is at Kidani. And I don’t know if there is a way to bring food from The Mara to the lobby without going outside - maybe the kitchen has access though. But there are activities and a great lounge.

Jambo has one now too, Simba's Activity Center. Apparently it used to be a childcare facility (I guess like Lilo's playhouse at Poly?) but was converted in the last few years.

The one at Kidani is really nice too. We stayed in the room right next door and spent a lot of time there.

dreday3

We haven't stayed yet but have visited plenty of times so I'd go with AKL just on the fact I could hang out in the lobby, learn from the cast members and they have a gorgeous bar!

nickys

Premium Member
Jambo has one now too, Simba's Activity Center. Apparently it used to be a childcare facility (I guess like Lilo's playhouse at Poly?) but was converted in the last few years.

The one at Kidani is really nice too. We stayed in the room right next door and spent a lot of time there.
I wonder why Disney doesn’t advertise this. I can’t find any mention of it on the official WDW site. You’d think they might want guests to know about it.

Skibum1970

My first pick is Wilderness Lodge for all the stated reasons. For my taste, WL has the best interior theming and is relaxing to just sit down and enjoy. I would go Contemporary for #2. The concourse with the food court and shopping has a lot of things to dig into and you have room to walk some around with the convention center rooms. Then, you could dart quickly and walk through the Garden Wing, watch the storm over Bay Lake or Magic Kingdom, and, if really bold, could dart over to Bay Lake Tower for more sightseeing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My first pick is Wilderness Lodge for all the stated reasons. For my taste, WL has the best interior theming and is relaxing to just sit down and enjoy. I would go Contemporary for #2. The concourse with the food court and shopping has a lot of things to dig into and you have room to walk some around with the convention center rooms. Then, you could dart quickly and walk through the Garden Wing, watch the storm over Bay Lake or Magic Kingdom, and, if really bold, could dart over to Bay Lake Tower for more sightseeing.
You do understand the question was about convenience Locked in…and not using photo pass, correct?

Ayla

When there is a hurricane, you aren't leaving the building to "dart" anywhere and the bridge to BLT is closed off.

Skibum1970

You do understand the question was about convenience Locked in…and not using photo pass, correct?

Don't even use photo pass. Entertainment: Contemporary has character events. Food/Drink: Contempo Cafe, Chef Mickeys, Steakhouse 71, and (if open during a hurricane) California Grill. Given how Disney tries to make things better during a hurricane, Contemporary has the space for games and other forms of entertainment. A lot of these would depend on whether or not they would have the staff to run them.

To be fair, the comment about darting to the Garden Wing or Bay Lake was fairly stupid. I've not endured a hurricane and thus wasn't thinking about the nonstop wind. More used to tornados where it's more of a quick but very violent hit.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don't even use photo pass. Entertainment: Contemporary has character events. Food/Drink: Contempo Cafe, Chef Mickeys, Steakhouse 71, and (if open during a hurricane) California Grill. Given how Disney tries to make things better during a hurricane, Contemporary has the space for games and other forms of entertainment. A lot of these would depend on whether or not they would have the staff to run them.

To be fair, the comment about darting to the Garden Wing or Bay Lake was fairly stupid. I've not endured a hurricane and thus wasn't thinking about the nonstop wind. More used to tornados where it's more of a quick but very violent hit.
…ahhhh

Now I get it. It’s not “magical”…just just sit away from the windows and talk about nonsense

DisneyFanatic12

I wonder why Disney doesn’t advertise this. I can’t find any mention of it on the official WDW site. You’d think they might want guests to know about it.
We stayed there and took those escalators up to the room and just stumbled upon it. It might be mentioned on the activity sheet, but it really isn’t advertised. Kind of strange!

DisneyFanatic12

Didn’t somebody go a flying off that bridge a year or two back?
I don’t know for sure, but it amazes me how Disney hasn’t glassed in the bridge. Contemporary/Bay Lake have a reputation for being tall and therefore not so magical things sometimes happen at those two resorts. Disney Springs has fully fenced in bridges!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom