Best Character Dining?

KendraFitz

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board and we are planning a trip to Disney in November. My husband, two childern (4 & 2) and another couple with a 2 year old will be staying at the Boardwalk Villas.

My son is VERY excited and wants to do a couple of character meals. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations of their favorite places? We have done the Crystal Palace and The Garden Grille already and are considering 'Ohana and Mickey's Backyard BBQ, but are not sure if they are good choices. Also, we were thinking of eating at Cinderella's Castle but I have heard it is very hard to book.

Any suggestions would be soo appreciated.

Thanks

JimboJones123

Ohana has a fun parade too, with noise makers!!! Don't forget the new Playhouse Disney breakfast starting at the end of July. Little Einsteins and Jo-Jo circus at Hollywod and Vine at MGM! Everybody praises Chef Mickeys, but I didn't like it. Very limited food for buffet, and a very herding cattle feeling. We were there waiting for characters for 2 hours, and only saw chip and dale and got the smackdown from the character wrangler for trying to see any characters between tables. So we only saw 2 of the 7 there that day, and that was the 2nd hour, after we were already done eating. We are trying Restrauntasaurus this time and are really excited. If you have time, check out the Campfire w/chip and dale, they do a sing along and show a movie. SMORES--YUMMY!

tigsmom

Welcome aboard! :wave:

Our favorite character breakfast is Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary and our favorite dinner is The Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK...characters in Colinial dress, American comfort food served family style in a Colonial tavern... you can't beat that.

We have done the Princess dinner at Restaurant Akershus in Norway at EPCOT and seeing the Princesses was very nice, but my family didn't really care for the food (they are very picky). I really want to try the breakfast at the Cape May Cafe in the Beach Club sometime; characters in oldtime swimwear...just a little something different.

I have heard dinner at Akershus is a real no-no, so go for beakfast (family style scrambled eggs, breakfast meats, etc.) if you're doing the Princess thing.

I was originally under the impression that you had to book some meals(CRT breakfast/lunch) 90 days out...not true, start calling at 180.

A great tip I got from these boards is to KEEP TRYING, every day if need be to get the ressies you want. It's worked for me. Also, if you can't get Cinderella's Royal Table, there is a Cinderlla dinner at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. I am so thankful to the poster who clued me into this.

Have a great trip!!!

MouseearsDeb

Two years ago, we took our DS to Garden Grille on his 3rd Bday. We went around 8-8:30 one night. There were hardly any other diners. The characters were great. They came by our table A LOT!!! and really spent some time with us. I know you've already been there, but GG is one place we went back to in '05 and will be going back again this 10/06. Food is good and the atmosphere is unique.

We did Liberty Tree several years ago when our oldest DS was around 7 or 8. We had a great time. The food was yummy and I really enjoyed the patriotic theme.

This year, since we'll be doing the free dining plan, we are doing several, Garden Grill, Liberty Tree Tavern for MNNSHP, Ohana and Crystal Palace.

Good luck with your choices! I'm sure your little one's will have a magical time!:animwink:

Goofy20

We love the Cape May Character Breakfast at the Beach Club. Great character interaction with chip, dale, goofy, and minnie mouse. Chef mickey's is good but i thought Cape May had a better food selection and seemed kind of cleaner. I vote Cape May

scorp111

We have previously done Breakfast at Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Cinderella's Castle, and Akershus. We have also had dinner at Chef Mickey's and Garden Grille.

Our favorite of those was probably Crystal Palace, although I wouldn't see anything bad about the others. We have done a meal at Crystal Palace our last 4 trips. Chef Mickey's at dinner can be kind of out of control, but you just have to expect that going in.

We are doing the Princess Dinner at Akershus, as well as Liberty Tree Tavern, the new meal at Hollywood and Vine, and Crystal Palace on our September trip.

BeanSz

We really like O'Hana. We do it every trip. Last September, our 17 month old also really liked Crystal Palace and pooh, and food is good too. We did not like Chef Mickey's for dinner -- food just average, very rushed, characterters just wiz by.

col

Hi and welcome to the boards :wave:,

i loved donalds breakfastosaurus at AK its been one of the best character meals i have had -i cant wait to go back and do it again!!!
at the breakfast which is a self serve buffet all the characters came around like 4-5 times and interacted with everyone each time even people who where there the last time they came around. the characters give everyone hugs and play jokes like tapping you on the back and such and the servers are really friendly and funny and play jokes on you.
they have a wide variety of food from fruit, dairy,meat and pastries and more.

i loved the CB at AK and as i said before i cant wait to go back.:)

ive also been to CRT breakfast and didnt like it and i wont be going back to that one but at least i experienced it.

dalton30720

We love Crystal Palace! We've been going there since my boys were little (both teens now) and they still insist on eating breakfast there when we visit. We also really enjoy the food at Liberty Tree Tavern. Characters there are Minnie, Chip and Dale, Pluto, etc., but no Mickey.

Are you talking about O'Hana's for breakfast or dinner? Because the dinner is not a character meal. Also, if you can't get into Cinderella's Castle, the restaurant at Norway is also offering princess-themed meals.

erasure fan1

My votes go for Donalds breakfastosarus and chef Mickey. My daughter is 4 and LOVED them, and the food was good too. If they like playhouse Disney try the new one at mgm, thats what we might be doing.

drew81

Chef Mickey's, Garden Grill and Liberty Tree are all excellent places. Chef Mickey's is a little more crazy than the other two.

goofyfamily

We are Chef Mickey fans, we have to do it every trip. Sometimes twice. We didnt care for Crystal Palace. This year we are doing Liberty Tree and 1900 Park Fare and of course Chef Mickey again. Whyspering Canyon is another favorite of ours, good food and fun atmosphere for the kids.

KendraFitz

Original Poster
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the good suggestions. I really appreciate it!

I am so happy to have joined such a friendly and helpful board!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom