Best backpack for WDW?

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Looking for a decent backpack recommendation. Padded straps a must. Currently entertaining the Osprey Daylite.

mmnw

I realize I should add more details. We’ll be going during the holidays. We already have a dedicated diaper bag, but my 19 month old has outgrown its bulkiness. I want something that feels smaller and lighter, still with padded straps (at least). We also have a cross-body daypack, but I can’t position the bag to where the strap isn’t rubbing on my neck. DW (she has the anatomy for it) will be wearing that bag with DD’s stuff. Everyone else’s stuff would go in the pack I would wear.
I use a cross body around town and day trips A LOT. I will say I wish I had the back pack I gave my husband. It distributes the weight differently obviously. Next time I will bring a back pack. We were there in August...

Upvote 0

Nottamus

We have a small Swiss Gear....all padded ventilated back, shock absorption straps..(not really)...two side zipper pockets on side for carrying Hydroflasks - which I learned about here in the forums....I will never take a trip without

Sure its got 1 or 2 unneeded extra pockets and zippers...but it carries everything we need!

I always get backpack duty, and have been through like 3 before this one...and its a winner. Wish i had the name of it....

Upvote 0

Tomi-Rocket

I can't stand having anything to carry, but I know its a necessity for folks with children.

Not necessarily true....the first time we went with our boys they were 8 and 4. No backpack at all. (Nor stroller but that’s for an altogether different thread, lol.) Kids carried age sized appropriate fannie packs and I carried a small travel purse. We have NEVER used, needed, nor taken a backpack. As the kids got older they switched to small drawstring bags. Never any problems. Ever. :)

Upvote 0

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Not necessarily true....the first time we went with our boys they were 8 and 4. No backpack at all. (Nor stroller but that’s for an altogether different thread, lol.) Kids carried age sized appropriate fannie packs and I carried a small travel purse. We have NEVER used, needed, nor taken a backpack. As the kids got older they switched to small drawstring bags. Never any problems. Ever. :)
Wow, thats awesome! Didn't know that was possible but that's impressive!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Agreed. I almost replied to this thread a couple of times to say, "the best backpack is no backpack at all." Even when we had a child still completing potty-training (meaning we brought an extra change of shorts and undies and some clean-up supplies), I've never needed more than a medium-sized cross-body purse to handle a day's-worth of supplies for a family of four (and like you, from the first visit when the kids were 4 and 6, we haven't used or needed a stroller). When you get right down to it, unless there's a special medical/dietary need that has to be accommodated, you just don't need much -- sunglasses, maybe, some wet wipes and Kleenex, a couple of Band-Aids or Tylenol tablets, a phone, power stick if needed, disposable Dollar Tree ponchos if neeed, 3x5 cards for touring itineraries and/or character autographs... that's it. DH has a couple of things he has to keep on his person (EpiPen, inhaler, work phone), so he wears cargo shorts with zipper pockets that are the right size to accommodate them. We almost never end up needing sweatshirts, but if we have to bring them, we bring zipper hoodies we can just tie around our waists.

(Full disclosure: DH used to bring a backpack because he has the old Boy Scout "always prepared" philosophy. He stopped carrying it after a few trips, once he realized that we never touched any of the things he brought in it.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John park hopper

Never carried a backpack to WDW but will this visit carrying drinks, snacks etc. Question can you carry them on rides and if not what or where do you put them while on the rides. Left alone how safe are they from getting stolen?

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Never carried a backpack to WDW but will this visit carrying drinks, snacks etc. Question can you carry them on rides and if not what or where do you put them while on the rides. Left alone how safe are they from getting stolen?

When my DH has brought a backpack, he took it on every ride. If there was a place to stow it (e.g., Mission:Space has bins, Soarin' has storage under the seat), he'd put it there. Otherwise, he'd just set it on the floor of the ride vehicle, and thread his feet through the straps to keep it from moving. If there was a waist restraint and no floor space (e.g., 7DMT), he just wore it backwards (even on Kali River Rapids - backwards, under his poncho). Granted, his backpack was never full of anything heavy or rigid, like drinks -- given how heavy and inconvenient beverages are to carry, we've never brought drinks to the park with us; when we get thirsty, we get free ice water in a disposable cup from the nearest CS. Just a tip, OP, if you didn't already know you could do that.

I'd never leave one unattended -- you're probably safe doing that 99% of the time, but I've seen too much Murphy's Law at play in my life to take the risk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

We have a small Swiss Gear....all padded ventilated back, shock absorption straps..(not really)...two side zipper pockets on side for carrying Hydroflasks - which I learned about here in the forums....I will never take a trip without

Sure its got 1 or 2 unneeded extra pockets and zippers...but it carries everything we need!

I always get backpack duty, and have been through like 3 before this one...and its a winner. Wish i had the name of it....
Just a note... if the BACK has a closed cell foam pad that you can REMOVE? Give it a try :). Those things are nice, padding wise - but a back sweat nightmare :).

Upvote 0

Nottamus

I do see this was already answered...so, all i'll say is i bring backpack on every ride. There is always spot to stow...or keep on the floor.
We haven't tried Kali river yet, but i think they have a locker area anyway to keep your stuff dry.

Upvote 0

cmb5002

As former DINC's who were expecting on our last trip, I'd recommend the backpack from Tactical Baby Gear as a solo backpack/diaper bag. We typically run around the parks without a bag, but took that one with us this past August as a trial for our trip next year with our new DD. It worked out great. Has all the stuff needed for a diaper bag, plus it'll handle the camelback/water bladder. Molle webbing lets you hang anything you might want on it.

I'm looking forward to ditching the bag as soon as she's old enough, but for now it works great.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

We've gone several times and we always carry a backpack. I like the SWISS GEAR ones because I can comfortably carry my: windbreaker, sweatshirt, sunglasses, handsanitizer, phone, battery pack, personal items in this backpack. I've been caught in many downpours at WDW, which aren't bad, but it's rough when you're trying to walk through puddles and get your shoes soaked, so I tend to carry a pair of Flip Flops, too in the bag. Honestly, the flip flops are a nice break for my feet sometimes, too. After wearing them for an hour or so, my feet are ready for the tennis shoes again.

Also, I went around Europe with a Rick Steves small backpack and absolutely loved it! Super lightweight and fits a lot of stuff!

Try Rick Steve's website - his stuff is all geared for travelers. And everything has a warranty. All my luggage and backpacks are from there, some up to 18 years old, and still as sturdy as the day I bought them. And they've been all over the world. Lightweight, and reasonably priced. Good luck!

Upvote 0

flexomob

Actually, I don't like to carry a heavy backpack on my back, but I understand that this is a necessity when we go out for long-distance walks with children, I have to take half the house with me, lol. By the way, recently I try to order only eco products, so as not to harm nature. So when I was looking for a new backpack for myself, I chose from those made of eco-friendly materials. These backpacks caught my attention, and you can find them here https://coraandspink.com/best-backpack-shop-mens-womens-backpacks-vegan-backpacks/. They look very stylish and meet my requirements. Most of all, I liked that the company that makes these backpacks cares about nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

While I don't have any recs for current styles, Columbia makes some decent day packs that have decent padding in the straps and back. We originally bought ours for Yellowstone back in 2005. I stopped using them at Disney after my kids got a little bit older and didn't need to carry as much, but the padding kept my camera gear from hurting my back. My current park pack is a Disney Vans backpack and I use our ponchos to help protect my back from the camera gear (I also hate that it doesn't have any kind of drink holders), but I still sometimes bring out the old Columbia ones if we're planning on longer hikes in national and state parks or we're planning on a marathon day in the Disney parks where I need changes of clothes and other stuff.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom